Jeopardy

(02-01-2024, 12:47 AM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  Well, that is just plain wrong.

Couldn't they simply get the host to read out the clue with a "What is" or "Who is" and then the contestant could then give a straight answer - or is that deviating too far from the format?

The core format is the concept of being given an answer and working out what the question is, so it wouldn’t be deviating as much as changing the whole concept Big Grin

I believe originally it was played with genuine questions and answers which would make sense if you switched them around, but the US version has slowly evolved (IMO through sloppy “clue” writing) to this position where the “What is/Who was” addition is rather arbitrary. It annoys me too, and I had hoped the UK version would take the opportunity to rectify it by making sure the “clues” responded to actual “responses”.

I do enjoy the show though, and I think Stephen Fry is the perfect host. They could have done with sticking to the shorter format though - it drags on with the extra round.

Meanwhile across the pond I see that Mayim Bialik essentially got the boot and Ken Jennings is now the only host

(03-01-2024, 11:35 AM)Johnr Wrote:  Meanwhile across the pond I see that Mayim Bialik essentially got the boot and Ken Jennings is now the only host

For the syndicated version. Their announcement claims she’ll still be hosting the prime time specials, though I can imagine the relationship with her might be a bit sour following the change so she may well choose not to continue.

(03-01-2024, 07:58 AM)Flux Wrote:  The core format is the concept of being given an answer and working out what the question is, so it wouldn’t be deviating as much as changing the whole concept Big Grin

I believe originally it was played with genuine questions and answers which would make sense if you switched them around, but the US version has slowly evolved (IMO through sloppy “clue” writing) to this position where the “What is/Who was” addition is rather arbitrary. It annoys me too, and I had hoped the UK version would take the opportunity to rectify it by making sure the “clues” responded to actual “responses”.

I do enjoy the show though, and I think Stephen Fry is the perfect host. They could have done with sticking to the shorter format though - it drags on with the extra round.
The answer/question thing was a gimmick as it started around the time of the big quiz show cheating scandals in the US. The idea being that they could say that they had already given the answers to the contestants! But it stuck and now is just an oddity in the format.

I started watching it and got bored very quickly. The previous UK attempts at least made a bit of effort to add some excitement and atmosphere
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • lookoutwales

The US version airs in a half hour format, and a US half hour format means little content, usually barely 20 minutes, so it does feel it goes faster than ITV's one hour format, which is usually around 47 minutes of content, a lot of stretching out the show in my view, which will make the show feel boring very quickly.

(03-01-2024, 07:58 AM)Flux Wrote:  The core format is the concept of being given an answer and working out what the question is, so it wouldn’t be deviating as much as changing the whole concept Big Grin
I think the gambling element and selecting categories and amounts from the board are bigger parts of what is a very basic quiz show format along with the fact the winners can amass seemingly limitless winning.

I think Sony has missed a trick by not making adaptions that could make the show a more appealing prospect for broadcasters outside the US. Getting rid of the whole question/answer thing for new markets would have been a key thing along with less cheap looking graphics and perhaps some other tweaks to liven up the format slightly.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jon's post:
  • Brekkie, Transmission

I wouldn't say the graphics look cheap, just dated. The font and style used for the clues has never changed since the start of Alex Trebek's run in 1984 has it? They updated things like the OP and music, but not that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • fanoftv

(02-01-2024, 09:38 AM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  The combination of up tempo theme and pedestrian pace of the show is jarring (reminds me of All Clued Up in that respect) but once the concept is absorbed its a good show to follow and Fry in his benevolent headmaster guise is the right host.

If only they were able to get the buzzers from All Clued Up. That would be great to watch!

(03-01-2024, 06:02 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  I wouldn't say the graphics look cheap, just dated.
Yeah very dated, which again is probably alright if they’ve always been like and people are used to them.

It was more opening titles I was referring to as cheap which looks like a pre-installed template you’d get on iMovie.

Ratings are holding up quite well at 4pm.

1.86 million average for yesterday, peaked at 2.67 million.

x.com 

Riddiculous attracted 1.3 million for 3pm on Tuesday, according to Whisper.

x.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • Happy2001