Jeopardy

(09-01-2024, 07:35 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  How low can Jeopardy go? 1.55m for yesterday's episode, compared to 2.2 --- 1.7 --- 1.6 --- 1.6 ---TBC for its ratings so far. The last ITV afternoon show that lasted only one series was Fastest Finger First and that was only on for a week.

Those figures are meaningless without something to compare it with. How does Tipping Point usually do in the slot, and how does it compare to Deal or No Deal?

Deal or No Deal launched at 2.4m, and stabilised at 1.9m apparently. So Jeopardy is down on that but not a disaster. But several weeks to go.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eyeTV's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

(09-01-2024, 08:49 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Those figures are meaningless without something to compare it with. How does Tipping Point usually do in the slot, and how does it compare to Deal or No Deal?

Aye, OK. The figures have been posted before but it's down on what Tipping Point gets and considerably less than DOND which was getting almost a million more before Xmas. It's also behind The Repair Shop and The Travelling Auctioneers which both get over 2m. Riddiculous is probably rating poorly too but that should be no surprise.

I've nothing against the actual gameplay of Jeopardy. I watched one episode but don't need to see another.

(09-01-2024, 08:49 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Those figures are meaningless without something to compare it with. How does Tipping Point usually do in the slot, and how does it compare to Deal or No Deal?
I dare say school holidays might distort ratings slightly. Where I live I gather spring term didn't resume until Thursday. I imagine there would have been more adults watching daytime TV until then as a result, if only due to looking after children.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

I'm really enjoying this version of Jeopardy and Stephen Fry is excellent as the host. However it's not a ITV1 show, it's far more suited to BBC2 or the old BBC4 (when they were commissioning shows). The standard of contestants is excellent, and that's the problem. It's no tipping point were Ben is trying not to laugh at the answers that he's given.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chinamug's post:
  • JT95

(10-01-2024, 12:46 AM)chinamug Wrote:  I'm really enjoying this version of Jeopardy and Stephen Fry is excellent as the host. However it's not a ITV1 show, it's far more suited to BBC2 or the old BBC4 (when they were commissioning shows). The standard of contestants is excellent, and that's the problem. It's no tipping point were Ben is trying not to laugh at the answers that he's given.

Isn't that a tad depressing though? Surely we can 'aim up'. Why not try to bring something more than a lowest common denominator to ITV. Laughing at low intelligence isn't funny or something that should be aspired to, in my opinion.
[-] The following 2 users Like Alessi's post:
  • chinamug, Larry the Loafer

(09-01-2024, 07:35 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  How low can Jeopardy go? 1.55m for yesterday's episode, compared to 2.2 --- 1.7 --- 1.6 --- 1.6 ---TBC for its ratings so far. The last ITV afternoon show that lasted only one series was Fastest Finger First and that was only on for a week.

That's pretty decent though - if it remains over 1.5m it'll certainly be recommissioned. I think it'll need to drop to 1.1/1.2m to be at risk. The first week of January with a staggering of when people return to work/school a bit tricky to judge to. Tipping Point and Deal seem to settle around 1.7m, but Jeopardy may be bringing in viewers that don't watch phone which would be attractive to advertisers.

I watched a full show for the first time since the premiere yesterday - the gameplay is fine but the production really is lacking and dated. The general answer as a question format is just nonsensical too - if someone asks you "What is 3"? the answer is "a number", not how many home secretaries there were between two specific dates. It's central premise actually ruins the show.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • LargelyALurker, Transmission

(10-01-2024, 12:46 AM)chinamug Wrote:  I'm really enjoying this version of Jeopardy and Stephen Fry is excellent as the host. However it's not a ITV1 show, it's far more suited to BBC2 or the old BBC4 (when they were commissioning shows). The standard of contestants is excellent, and that's the problem. It's no tipping point were Ben is trying not to laugh at the answers that he's given.

(10-01-2024, 11:05 AM)Alessi Wrote:  Isn't that a tad depressing though? Surely we can 'aim up'. Why not try to bring something more than a lowest common denominator to ITV. Laughing at low intelligence isn't funny or something that should be aspired to, in my opinion.

Might be seen as "depressing" but ITV has always been seen as a sort of downmarket channel ever since the service launched in the 1950s and 1960s. But that doesn't necessarily mean it has to always be that way - its nice in a way they've done something different, a gameshow that as you say would probably be better on BBC4.

I suspect part of bringing Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy to the UK, and closely matching the US versions - is more about extending commercial opportunities for merchandise or UK editions of their video games, into more markets.

The question set, and voice work can be changed, without making other changes from the US versions of these games.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 3 users Like mdta's post:
  • Spencer, Superman1986, TVFan

Jeopardy kinda falls into a weird place in that the show is so entrenched and beloved for its simplicity. it still just works after decades and decades. The original US version also had Canadian-American host Alex Trebek to thank for alot of that. He helmed the show until his sad death a few years ago. But sets, music and sparse use of technological innovations aside, It hasnt been changed very much. Unfortunately trying to export that quirky simplicity to another market is a tough sell. Interesting that a market that already has several high-brow game shows ( Only Connect, Mastermind, Uni Challenge, etc) you'd like to think Jeopardy wouldnt be a hard sell. But here we are.