Wheel of Fortune

In the end WoF seemed to settle around the 2m mark. Enough maybe for a recommission?

It's really tough to call now with ratings as they are but considering Moneyball and Sitting on a Fortune got a recommissioned with less you would think so.

I can't see it not getting recommissioned because there's just too much at stake (the brand, the host) and ITV can easily move it to another slot and it would get better ratings.

Even though its been heavily Americanised for this series, there's no question that Wheel of Fortune was a welcome addition for me to the schedule. I enjoyed trying to solve the puzzles, and although the clues made less sense in comparison to the original, I would argue that the old style was too simplistic and limited the types of puzzles they could put up to a narrow set of categories. A lot of the puzzles matched things that resonate with what people do nowadays, so I didn't mind that the clues were longer.

Only things I'd be suggesting them to change, if they recommission the programme in short bursts for Saturday night TV, is to use the originals' sound effect for when hitting a bankrupt, and to disallow picking vowels during a speed round (only consonants). I'd also potentially suggest that providing the standard RSTLNE should not be done for the final jackpot prize, instead the players can just pick 5 consonants and a vowel and see which ones show up, and also to increase the length of the jackpot puzzles, as they were super short in length, and thus easy to guess with the right letters.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SuperSajuuk's post:
  • AJB39

Well at least they have it a try - I was very surprised they chose Graham Norton to host, I had the feeling it was Graham testing the water if he decided to quit his talk show and move to ITV.

However, we all look at overnight ratings, and need to know that any game show getting 2 to 3 million viewers is actually alright in this new era of television.

If it is fairly cheap to produce, they might as well as commission a second series and give it another go.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • SuperSajuuk

(06-03-2024, 10:27 PM)SuperSajuuk Wrote:  Even though its been heavily Americanised for this series, there's no question that Wheel of Fortune was a welcome addition for me to the schedule. I enjoyed trying to solve the puzzles, and although the clues made less sense in comparison to the original, I would argue that the old style was too simplistic and limited the types of puzzles they could put up to a narrow set of categories. A lot of the puzzles matched things that resonate with what people do nowadays, so I didn't mind that the clues were longer.

Only things I'd be suggesting them to change, if they recommission the programme in short bursts for Saturday night TV, is to use the originals' sound effect for when hitting a bankrupt, and to disallow picking vowels during a speed round (only consonants). I'd also potentially suggest that providing the standard RSTLNE should not be done for the final jackpot prize, instead the players can just pick 5 consonants and a vowel and see which ones show up, and also to increase the length of the jackpot puzzles, as they were super short in length, and thus easy to guess with the right letters.

Yeah, the endgame's too easy as things are at the moment. And Bankrupt and Lose a Turn should definitely get their old SFX back.

Never liked that final format in the US so gutting it has been used here. Also the obsession with buying vowels has crept in here too, something else that frustrated me with the US version.

I suspect any second run would have the format largely unchanged but I would reduce the amount given away on the toss up puzzles so there was more importance on the main game.

I think the reason why the US version is a success is it is on a daily basis and it is confined to a half hour format - this makes it become part and parcel of someone's daily routine, in the same way Pointless and The Chase are now part of people's early evening routine, probably as they are about to make dinner.

Wheel of Fortune in the US also seems to run smooth in the US half hour slot, which is usually 22 minutes at most, meaning the programme doesn't feel stretched out, the introduction is very short.

This is the problem with ITV - their need to fill one hour slots, which means a lot of padding - ITV need to return to half hour daytime slots
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • bax

Of course, that worked in their benefit for Jeopardy! - in the US version the Double Jeopardy! round is usually only half-finished when they run out of time. On the UK version it always gets completed. Though they had time for an extra round too (they play the first round twice), so an ideal length for that would probably be 45 minutes.