Wheel of Fortune

Really is dumb to reverse those changes - they were made for a reason. Feels like they've ruined a classic.

This is basically following the Celeb format in the US which runs two games back to back, but here replacing the middle jackpot round with the bonus holiday round.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • DE88, fanoftv, Ma76, Reith85

(06-01-2024, 07:14 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Rather like this. Graham is as excellent a host as you’d expect.

Funny, he comes across as really disinterested to me as if he can’t wait to get home.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 3 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • Nige, Nobby, Reith85

(06-01-2024, 07:18 PM)RDJ Wrote:  The constant “woooooooah” and applause from the audience is driving me crazy. So much so I’ve had to switch over.

Graham seemed competent at least. But once again like with most of these resurrected gameshows… it seems extremely dragged out for it to stretch an hour.

We were told to go "Ooooooooooooo...oh" as the wheel slowed down onto a prize amount, to clap as the wheel spun & to adopt Australian accents in Salford - at least in the Australian version.
[-] The following 4 users Like Juicy Joe's post:
  • Brekkie, DE88, Happy2001, Ma76

An hour? Didn’t it used to be 30 minutes on a Tuesday night?

I think a lot of the puzzles are nonsensical and feels a bit of a convoluted mess. Can’t say I’d be watching it again.

And to be fair, Graham Norton seems a bit wasted on it.

GET FUNKY | BE FUNKY | STAY FUNKY | YO HUSSLE HUSSLE
[-] The following 3 users Like Parsons's post:
  • Brekkie, Nige, Reith85

(06-01-2024, 07:36 PM)Gary McEwan Wrote:  It's basically a lift and shift from the US but drawn out for an hour.

I wonder though if ABC and/or the production companies involved are now stipulating that it must be an almost like for like copy of what's produced in the US?
I think it’s just a particular problem with this production company and the way these two shows have been commissioned. Realistically if you stop different countries tailoring for their market you stop international sales.

Really don’t like the style of puzzles. What happened to books, movies and TV shows.
[-] The following 6 users Like Jon's post:
  • Brekkie, DE88, fanoftv, Gordonthegopher, Ma76, Nige

Like Jeopardy it all feels rather dated, largely thanks to the poor music, and there has been no respect shown to what made it work in the UK in the 90s.

The toss up puzzles somewhat make the main games irrelevant- think £9000 was won in those which was more than in the main games
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • DE88, fanoftv

Those 3 games where you get the money banked instantly kinda spoil the show as it's more important to win those rounds to bank the money rather than the actual main game where the wheel is used and you only bank the money if you guess the word.
[-] The following 3 users Like Lester's post:
  • Brekkie, chaose, DE88

I thought it felt weirdly ‘flat’ compared to the original UK version to be honest…can’t really put my finger quite on why
[-] The following 4 users Like Johnr's post:
  • Brekkie, DE88, DJ Dave, Nige

Just be glad Family Fortunes isn’t a Sony owned and produced format. They’d have got rid of the uh-uh sound effect and be referring to it as the Feud.
[-] The following 5 users Like Jon's post:
  • DE88, DeMarkay, fanoftv, Gary McEwan, Ma76

I obviously watched Wheel of Fortune a long time ago, and then the repeats on Challenge. While obviously they aren't going to use the original Scottish Television format in todays' world, I do think the revival was done well enough to feel the same as the original. Not having the second presenter to turn the letters is honestly something that isn't all that bad of a change: in modern times, it would be difficult to sell as a requirement in an age where things are increasingly being digitalised.

While the categories were a bit weird, they are more tailored to a modern audience and maybe are just more "in-depth" than some of the things we used to have. That being said, I wouldn't mind a restoration [in future series] of some more traditional categories. The Triple Toss-Up was a strange addition, but in a way, it helped people get into the format quite quickly with relatively easy answers and avoided people going away with nothing. So for me, the revival is good enough and Graham Norton is probably one of the few hosts these days who could carry the format in any case. Not a 10/10 but a respectable 8 for me.