Wheel of Fortune

Not really a fan of the Americanisation of it, knowing the little I do know of the US version. My biggest gripe is the oddly elaborate categories/answers, which seem like something from the ITV Play days.

I'm expecting to see something like "TV Show/Presenter" with the answer "Bradley Walsh/The Chase", but instead we've got categories like "Things you wouldn't want to trip over on the stairs," and answers like "dirty white trainers".
[-] The following 7 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • Brekkie, chaose, DE88, fanoftv, Juicy Joe, Nige, Reith85

(06-01-2024, 08:00 PM)Johnr Wrote:  I thought it felt weirdly ‘flat’ compared to the original UK version to be honest…can’t really put my finger quite on why
Obviously gameshow audiences have always been somewhat directed but you can tell a mile off with a British audience when their enthusiasm is genuine and when it is on cue.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chaose, DE88, Nige, Reith85

(06-01-2024, 07:18 PM)KOWT76 Wrote:  New theme tune, no assistant turning the letters, no £1,000 on the wheel and no prize for solving each puzzle, apart from that, I like it 😂

This version would definitely be much much better if Graham had an assistant that he could bounce off with.
[-] The following 1 user Likes callumwatchestelly's post:
  • DE88

Was it me or did Graham Norton seem to spend most of the time looking off to the side, presumably at an autocue rather than the contestants?

Not being that familiar with the 90s version, I enjoyed it and it felt speedier than Jeopardy and some other gameshows that have been extended to an hour. I could imagine it might get repetitive week after week though, so not sure if I'll stick with it yet though.

Really not liking this at all. Not expecting to be exactly the same as 90s but It should have been something like say a Gino Family Fortunes a modern refresh of the classic format. The USA copy thing just doesn't work. Poor theme music. Bloated. Giving the letters out in the end game. Just not good.

Norton in the UK-rules format would have been fine.
[-] The following 6 users Like KelpiePK93's post:
  • Brekkie, DE88, DJ Dave, fanoftv, Ma76, Nige

It didn't have the cuddly feel that the version Stv made in the 1990s did, a few of the changes might be in a strange way for the better - but we seem to have an American licencee who if you buy a format doesn't let you change much at all from what is done in the states - some of it might work here but the toss ups need to be examined more making the spinning game less important than it should have been overall it might be the best we could do with a very restrictive license time will tell how many will watch and for how long as well

Felt flat. Graham's occasional side glance was distracting - presumably just reading the autocue for the rules. Similar story for the prize category choices, the contestant must be seeing the options on a screen off camera.

Even little things like Nicky and co. always referenced Steve by name rather than Graham's impersonal "voice-over please" intro. I noticed she never got a credit.

I know his opening "I can almost feel the sincerity of that response" from the audience to the £50k jackpot isn't meant to taken seriously but it's still a bit of a dig.

The incessant need to drag these shows out to one hour will be their undoing.

And the theme tune's worse.
[-] The following 8 users Like Asa's post:
  • Brekkie, chaose, DE88, fanoftv, Ma76, Nige, Reith85, UTVLifer

Well there ruined that, thanks ITV your destroy another classic. I cant wait till you b********ed Bullseye next

Graham just looks bored, the strange bonus rounds for £500 seems pointless and as other have said there Americanisation, There a reason why in the past UK companies softed the programmes for UK market. Blankley blank pilots are just in case in point.
[-] The following 3 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • Brekkie, Nige, Reith85

I actually enjoyed it more than I expected to.

If you are going to have lots more puzzles to solve then they needed to be a bit more cryptic / elaborate so didn't mind that.

Didn't like the audience facing the cameras, and presumably it wasn't great for them either.

For the viewer, it felt distant. I find Catchphrase 100x more compelling to watch, and play along with.