Wheel of Fortune

(07-01-2024, 12:06 AM)scottishtv Wrote:  Didn't like the audience facing the cameras, and presumably it wasn't great for them either.

Worked for Bullseye.

WoF: Classic case of stretching something out to an hour that was always going to be a struggle. I suspect as has been mentioned earlier its a total transplant of the American show, as far as is possible. There's something to be said for how we did it first time round though, which was sort of lost this time round. That being said if you'd never seen the format before or the original show and it floated your boat, you'd probably like this. Horses for courses.

(07-01-2024, 12:41 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Worked for Bullseye.

WoF: Classic case of stretching something out to an hour that was always going to be a struggle. I suspect as has been mentioned earlier its a total transplant of the American show, as far as is possible. There's something to be said for how we did it first time round though, which was sort of lost this time round. That being said if you'd never seen the format before or the original show and it floated your boat, you'd probably like this. Horses for courses.

I think it worked for Bulleseye because the audience was across the whole side of the studio.

The audience on WoF almost looked like they were shoehorned into a corner of the set.

The intro and the music are terrible. Thankfully, there wasn't the "dock10 in Salford" nonsense of Jeopardy.

The set is good for Graham running through the crowd at the start but everyone looks so odd sitting so far up and back from the main set and Graham having his back to them while the game is being played probably makes them feel even more detached. It would be better if they were on the other side like his chat show so they can pick up on facial reactions etc. The wide shot shows a lot of empty studio space and everything important about the show looks so tiny and unimportant.

You can hardly hear the wheel over the audience cheering and the contestants at least in the first episode seemed not to want to give it a good hard spin. When someone solved a puzzle, there was no excitement, partly because of the utterly woeful music.

The endgame is mostly going to end on a downer as contestants come to the realisation of having to settle for a lesser prize. Graham's "that's all we have time for" at the end... well, yeah... The final round is supposed to be impactful but it falls flat like the rest of the show and is passed off as nothing.

I do think it’s a shame that ITV cannot make these sort of shows for prime time at 45 minutes or less?

Understand for daytime, they probably don’t want the mess when swapping stuff in and out of the 3pm or 4pm hour, but would this evenings schedule have been impacted if this started at 615 instead?
[-] The following 3 users Like Ash101's post:
  • Brekkie, DE88, Ma76

Strange that it hasn't been added to ITVX yet, or at least as I'm typing this now, it isn't there.

A shame that the iconic theme tune has been replaced by something utterly forgettable. In general there wasn't much of a nostalgia factor with it at all, it was almost as if it was a new show we haven't had here before.

I didn't mind it too much overall, Graham was quite good, but agree that some of the categories were a bit overcomplicated.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Transmission's post:
  • Ma76

It’s just felt it lost a lot of the playalong factor. Because the answers seem to be mainly random sentences rather specific things they seem a lot harder to guess ages before the contestant makes theirs and you’re getting it at about the same time. It’s understandable why the American version is that way, it’s on daily so they’d find it difficult to keep thinking up puzzles, if it was TV Shows, famous people, particular meals etc they’d probably be repeating itself a lot more. Obviously what the American’s do works for them, but you’ve got to do what the audience remembers when bringing a show back like this.

I wonder how this compared to Alison Hammond front pilot a few years ago.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jon's post:
  • Brekkie, fanoftv, Ma76

(07-01-2024, 01:52 AM)Ash101 Wrote:  I do think it’s a shame that ITV cannot make these sort of shows for prime time at 45 minutes or less?

Understand for daytime, they probably don’t want the mess when swapping stuff in and out of the 3pm or 4pm hour, but would this evenings schedule have been impacted if this started at 615 instead?

Especially as the primetime ad rules means they can't fill the hour with ads anyway, so losing an ad break won't cut the budget by a third.

I did think about 10 minutes in that an hour of this would be a tricky watch, but perhaps I've got used to shows being dragged out now as I don't think it being an hour was the shows main problem. Indeed what frustrates is at the end of the day our complaints are actually fairly minor things which are easy to fix - but collectively they make the show a difficult watch.

The main changes I'd make are:
- Reinstate the theme tune
- Use the toss up puzzles to start each round, with no prize attached
- Proper categories for the main game
- Bigger cash values on the Wheel (with no cash value on the toss up games) and a prize per round
- Stick to just the contestant picking letters in the jackpot and bonus round.

Also see it's repeated tonight in practically the same time slot.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • DE88, fanoftv, Ma76

Come on lads the previous theme was hardly “iconic”. It was generic 90s gameshow.
[-] The following 1 user Likes all new phil's post:
  • Alessi

I liked it. For the most part. I would absolutely change the theme tune back to the classic 90's one and possibly remix it. I would also amend the wheel amounts, as the longer it went on, seeing a £100 amount being landed on felt rather embarrassing. The fake "oooh"-ing when the wheel is about to stop every time is annoying, along with the clapping for everything. It feels too American.

I am not a fan of the letter reveals, but that's just me being really picky. The music that plays when someone guesses correctly doesn't fit and it's too low. It should have more oomph and pizzaz. The music was probably the biggest disappointment of it all for me.