Eurovision Song Contest 2024

(Yesterday, 03:59 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  Well this years Turquoise Carpet is the most awful I can remember, no fans, no walking down the carpet, just 30 second interviews interparsed with stock footage and elevator music.

Not a great start Malmo 🙁

What the hell is a Turquoise Carpet?

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

(Yesterday, 04:53 PM)Moz Wrote:  What the hell is a Turquoise Carpet?

Basically like an Oscars red carpet, the artists arrive in their fancy outfits, taken questions from the media. The carpet has been turquoise for a few years, sponsorship reasons I think.
[-] The following 5 users Like aaron_scotland's post:
  • DeMarkay, JosiahStuart, Moz, RhysJR, UTVLifer

(Yesterday, 05:00 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  Basically like an Oscars red carpet, the artists arrive in their fancy outfits, taken questions from the media. The carpet has been turquoise for a few years, sponsorship reasons I think.

Yep, sponsored by Moroccan Oil

Hadn’t seen it mentioned in the thread yet, but just to confirm that the UK has been drawn to perform in the 1st Half of the Grand Final on Saturday.

As for the rest of the Big 5:

Germany: 1st Half
France: 2nd Half
Italy & Spain: Producer’s Choice

Source: eurovision.tv 
[-] The following 1 user Likes jlmiller's post:
  • Happy2001

(Today, 12:24 AM)jlmiller Wrote:  Hadn’t seen it mentioned in the thread yet, but just to confirm that the UK has been drawn to perform in the 1st Half of the Grand Final on Saturday.

As for the rest of the Big 5:

Germany: 1st Half
France: 2nd Half
Italy & Spain: Producer’s Choice

Source: eurovision.tv 

Ugh. Producer’s Choice is such an ugly and meaningless concept and this draw has immediately proved it IMO. It means nothing that Italy and Spain have drawn Producer’s Choice.

I even double checked that link in case you’d put the apostrophe in the wrong place, but they do actually style it “Producer’s” (singular) choice. That makes it an even worse idea than I had previously thought (“Producers’ Choice” plural) because it implies the whole decision rests on one producer’s whim.

It’s just confusing and bland and means the draw has no real bearing on when a large percentage of the acts perform. Why even bother? Just let this lone producer pick the whole running order and give up any pretence Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Flux's post:
  • Brekkie, Stuart, UTVLifer

I really hope SVT have got some big surprises up their sleeves as it's beginning to feel like they've fumbled the bag slightly this year, with the unnecessary introduction of Producer's Choice and the open-door policy to past contestants for the SF opening/interval acts. Which feels baffling given they went to last year to secure the win in Liverpool

This also has to be the first time in a while that, less than 5 days out, we don't know anything about the interval acts for the final besides Petra's musical number
[-] The following 3 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • ethanjbrady, Happy2001, Stuart

For Sweden it certainly feels uncharacteristically chaotic. I’m sure the main events will all come together but I’m certainly not feeling the buzz from Liverpool. I wonder if it’s Israel and security concerns. Any social media I’ve seen of the city, everything just looks low key.
[-] The following 3 users Like all new phil's post:
  • Brekkie, ethanjbrady, Happy2001