Future of 'Radio' Stations in Streaming Era

(19-01-2024, 08:35 PM)LargelyALurker Wrote:  I’ve always been surprised that nobody has come up with a way to listen to a radio programme with your own music - ie a Spotify playlist. For entertainment radio, as opposed to music radio, it could work well.

Why can’t my breakfast show be Dave Berry’s links, my playlist, Radio Forth news and BBC world news on alternate hours with me opting out of travel news? It’s not a million miles from where we are, but would be a big improvement IMO.

In terms of live radio more generally, it’s here to stay in some form I’m sure. There’s no beating a live DJ, listener interaction and it just being ‘there’, one button (on/off) on my radio just gives some form of entertainment; that’s pretty great.

Sorry but, I beg to differ. Global have ‘live’ station branded playlists on Global Player complete with pre-recorded, sense of day links from presenters. They’ve been a thing for years.

I was part of the team that created them and put them live. All done through Zetta.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DeMarkay's post:
  • London Lite

(19-01-2024, 09:55 AM)Robert Williams Wrote:  Isn't this exactly what they are already doing, on the breakfast show at least, and have been since 2014?

media.info 

Ah that's so cool, I don't get a chance to listen to breakfast but do listen to drive time which I am 99% sure is voice tracked rather than live?

(19-01-2024, 09:04 PM)DeMarkay Wrote:  Sorry but, I beg to differ. Global have ‘live’ station branded playlists on Global Player complete with pre-recorded, sense of day links from presenters. They’ve been a thing for years.

I was part of the team that created them and put them live. All done through Zetta.

Sure, I understand those. But it’s not the product I’m describing - entertaining (near-) live links with my choice of music and news/travel sources.

Bauer own lots of national and local stations - why can’t I mix and match the news from one, with the presenter from another and music from a third?

Probably the same reason you can't watch Gail Platt in EastEnders played by Hannah Waddingham.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • DeMarkay, Joe, LondonViewer, TJTSW

(20-01-2024, 01:24 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Probably the same reason you can't watch Gail Platt in EastEnders played by Hannah Waddingham.

You've just shattered all my dreams...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Former Member 2410's post:
  • Brekkie

(20-01-2024, 07:27 AM)LargelyALurker Wrote:  Sure, I understand those. But it’s not the product I’m describing - entertaining (near-) live links with my choice of music and news/travel sources.

Bauer own lots of national and local stations - why can’t I mix and match the news from one, with the presenter from another and music from a third?

Given Spotify already insert adverts in between your own choice of songs for non-subscribers, I’d have thought it’d be fairly straightforward to insert other content like presenter links, news, etc. as an option if they wanted.

I can’t see the likes of Bauer, though, supplying Ken Bruce or Dave Berry links for free if it means listeners won’t hear their adverts. So it’d either mean Spotify paying them for the content or producing their own content – maybe employing their own presenters. I think it’s an interesting idea, but however they did it, it’d take a lot of investment, so the question would be whether they’d make the money back.

[I say Spotify, but also could apply to other streaming music services.]

Spotify's Daily Drive playlist has news, sports and podcast clips combined with your music library. They've been doing this since 2019 in the US and 2020 in the UK:
pr-newsroom-wp.appspot.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes TV Insider's post:
  • Spencer

(20-01-2024, 07:00 PM)TV Insider Wrote:  Spotify's Daily Drive playlist has news, sports and podcast clips combined with your music library. They've been doing this since 2019 in the US and 2020 in the UK:
pr-newsroom-wp.appspot.com 

I’d not heard of that, and having looked on my Spotify app, I can’t find any link to it at all.

I did, though, find something called ‘DJ’, a Beta service which has a virtual AI presenter. Maybe I’m behind the times, but I’d rather listen to a human being.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • thomalex

(20-01-2024, 08:00 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I’d not heard of that, and having looked on my Spotify app, I can’t find any link to it at all.

I did, though, find something called ‘DJ’, a Beta service which has a virtual AI presenter. Maybe I’m behind the times, but I’d rather listen to a human being.

open.spotify.com 

There you go. A simple Google search or Spotify search for ‘Daily Drive’ would’ve pointed you in the right direction.

(20-01-2024, 11:14 PM)DeMarkay Wrote:  open.spotify.com 

There you go. A simple Google search or Spotify search for ‘Daily Drive’ would’ve pointed you in the right direction.

Yes, and TV Insider has already posted a link to it, but I was pointing out it doesn’t seem particularly well signposted or promoted on Spotify’s own platform where you’d expect it to be. I’m not sure how you’re supposed to find it if you don’t know it exists.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • bilky asko