Michael McIntyre's Big Show

(11-02-2024, 06:01 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Most people don't own iphones...

😱

Is there a number where I can donate to these poor people. Bless them.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moz's post:
  • sjhoward

When the show first started Michael McIntyre did a stand-up routine at the beginning, and I feel that is missing from the show these days. I wonder if he still does it when the show is filmed and then gets edited out? It's often feels such a brutal jump from the welcome and intro to the first segment and doesn't always feel like it flows that well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sjames's post:
  • Gary Baldy

The act of "Send[ing] to All" has always been a bit of an artifice, as it's not an actual feature on an iPhonee. I recall mentions in previous interviews that the message is sent to a fake contact, and then manually sent to all the actual contacts.

I think this might be the first series where it's exclusively WhatsApp in use, but presumably the artifice is similar.

I do remember the episode with a Samsung phone from a previous series - I think the issue may have been down to Samsung's DeX interface showing by default when connecting via a cable, rather than a straight screen mirror.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bilky asko's post:
  • scottishtv

(12-02-2024, 03:09 AM)sjames Wrote:  When the show first started Michael McIntyre did a stand-up routine at the beginning, and I feel that is missing from the show these days. I wonder if he still does it when the show is filmed and then gets edited out? It's often feels such a brutal jump from the welcome and intro to the first segment and doesn't always feel like it flows that well.
He did, I assume it's just an issue of - running out of/not wanting to use up/not having to write - new material for it.

It does feel like it needs something at the beginning though.

Think it's a great show, but there there are some bits I'm not so keen on - the music acts and of there's something about a celebrity I don't know. The good thing about it is that it's compartmentalised and easy to skip those

(12-02-2024, 08:53 AM)bilky asko Wrote:  The act of "Send[ing] to All" has always been a bit of an artifice, as it's not an actual feature on an iPhonee. I recall mentions in previous interviews that the message is sent to a fake contact, and then manually sent to all the actual contacts.

I think this might be the first series where it's exclusively WhatsApp in use, but presumably the artifice is similar.
That makes sense, I wasn't sure if it was a default option on some phones, but the fact it isn't makes me realise..... why would it be, who would ever normally use it?

I think the move to WhatsApp is probably just because SMS is just old technology, WhatsApp is the primary way of messaging these days, probably depends on which the celeb uses more.

The functionality of WhatsApp is superior to text applications but of course sending them individually is more necessary otherwise it would probably insist on sending to multiple people as a group which wouldn't work

Didn't they used to have comedians doing a stand up piece in the show and now they have dropped that too?

Aside from the Celebrity ones (which I don’t mind the idea of if used sparingly within a series), I think what was probably the best feature in the show is unexpected star but I’m a bit underwhelmed with the ones this last series or so with them seeming less elaborate.

The Wheel on Wheels doesn’t really work as a feature anymore than a one off either.

How does the recording of this show work? Would each recording be made up of features that would make a single show for the audience. Or would the audience potentially see more than one of the same feature during a recording? I’m guessing it would be the former because setting up two Unexpected Stars in one show would be a logistical nightmare. But they could easily do two send to alls or Midnight gameshow intro/outros during a recording.

(12-02-2024, 10:36 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  He did, I assume it's just an issue of - running out of/not wanting to use up/not having to write - new material for it.

It does feel like it needs something at the beginning though.

Think it's a great show, but there there are some bits I'm not so keen on - the music acts and of there's something about a celebrity I don't know. The good thing about it is that it's compartmentalised and easy to skip those
Maybe he could refer back to his comedy roadshow and feature a breakthrough / new(ish) to TV comedian. I seem to recall his comedy roadshow was one of the first times I'd seen John Bishop, who back then wasn't his headline act but one of the first acts of the evening.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

(12-02-2024, 11:45 AM)Keith Wrote:  Maybe he could refer back to his comedy roadshow and feature a breakthrough / new(ish) to TV comedian. I seem to recall his comedy roadshow was one of the first times I'd seen John Bishop, who back then wasn't his headline act but one of the first acts of the evening.
I’m pretty sure the Big Show did used to have a guest comedian as part of the line up for the first few series as well as more of a variety show line up on the whole. It’s now basically just NHP and SNT style features, which is basically what’s needed on Saturday nights.

Did they used to have an audience game too? Does feel like it perhaps needs one more feature an episode just to add a bit more pace.

I get the feeling after their enforced hiatus due to the pandemic, when they returned, they seemed to have forgotten how their show was actually fairly decent in it's original form pre 2020.

Now it seems Michael has abandoned all elements of stand up comedy, including guest comedians and has sort of changed the show into Send to All, Midnight Gameshow and Unexpected Star of the Show.

There was a few "unexpected" stars who when they saw they were on the stage, their reaction was not exactly surprised or stunned - it seems I think some of the unexpected stars might have sussed out that they are going to be appearing on Michael's show.
[-] The following 2 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • chaose, Gary Baldy