Central To Carlton

I'm pretty sure their Nottingham studios weren't named after Central even before Carlton came along. Weren't they The Television House or something. Think it was a pre-license bid thing, the same way idea that brought 'Teddington Studios' and 'The London Studios'

I thought CiTV shared studio space with Central at one point?

(13-02-2024, 10:36 AM)DJ Dave Wrote:  I thought CiTV shared studio space with Central at one point?

Yes they did, until 2004, at Gas Street.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheFullElectro's post:
  • DJ Dave

(13-02-2024, 10:27 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I'm pretty sure their Nottingham studios weren't named after Central even before Carlton came along. Weren't they The Television House or something. Think it was a pre-license bid thing, the same way idea that brought 'Teddington Studios' and 'The London Studios'

Think they were initially known as the 'East Midlands Television Centre' - 'The Television House' came along at some point in the early 90s but that brand seemed to disappear within a year or two of the Carlton takeover.

Nottingham University appear to be keen to retain some kind of production element at Lenton Lane to this day - they opened an immersive studio last year.

www.nottingham.ac.uk 

(13-02-2024, 10:36 AM)DJ Dave Wrote:  I thought CiTV shared studio space with Central at one point?

Presuming you're talking about Central News West - they moved back into the main studio at Gas Street in October 2001.

(13-02-2024, 10:27 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I'm pretty sure their Nottingham studios weren't named after Central even before Carlton came along. Weren't they The Television House or something. Think it was a pre-license bid thing, the same way idea that brought 'Teddington Studios' and 'The London Studios'

The Television House. Still signs up for it, I think where a 'Carlton Studios' sticker stuck over it has been pulled off. There's also signs for Carlton Studios if you know where to look.

The sign on the side always read 'Central' until Carlton rebranded tho, and theirs is the only label you can still just about see on the building:
photos.app.goo.gl 

(probably helped by the fact Carlton altered it every 6 months thereafter).

One thing that Carlton never did was repaint over the 'cake colours' on the roof window canopies. The University of Nottingham painted them all their depressing green but in recent years the original colours have started to show through again:
photos.app.goo.gl 

There's still loads of evidence of Central inside too, not least the Blockbusters set 'icons':
photos.app.goo.gl 

photos.app.goo.gl 

and also one semi-functional original studio, with 80s vintage stuff inside:
photos.app.goo.gl 

photos.app.goo.gl 

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 11 users Like WillPS's post:
  • AndrewP, ANE, bilky asko, Frappé, Juicy Joe, Mike, Nobby, Spencer, Stooky Bill, Stuart, TVFan

Got so disapointed when I found out a few years back that under 18s were able to go and see things filmed there... I misread the teletext page about applying for audience tickets which presumably said an over 18 needed to apply or accompany and thought it meant you needed to be over 18 to attend. I would have been in Nottingham regularly watching things being recorded if I'd known!

The last audience show made there, Doctors and Nurses with Adrian Edmonson, was literally just a few months before my 18th birthday as well.

If you look round the back of Kings Meadow Campus (what stands on the studio now), you can see a few old signs such as "Reception" in the Carlton 1999 font.

There is this just outside the Fire exit of Studio 7 as well. I might be wrong, but that could still be up from the Central days

[-] The following 1 user Likes JLav25's post:
  • Spencer

(13-02-2024, 01:39 PM)JLav25 Wrote:  If you look round the back of Kings Meadow Campus (what stands on the studio now), you can see a few old signs such as "Reception" in the Carlton 1999 font.

There is this just outside the Fire exit of Studio 7 as well. I might be wrong, but that could still be up from the Central days

Yes, that’s definitely the Central font (Erbar?), especially noticeable when you see the word ‘CENTRE’.

I remember seeing those Blockbusters sculptures the one time I visited Lenton Lane, surprised but glad they're still there

www.youtube.com 

For those who haven't seen it - a 2014 visit to Lenton Lane/Kings Meadow. Annoyingly, it has been reuploaded in a picture-in-picture format but I originally came across this on TV Forum. The visit to the Anglo American vehicles company about half way through - the last part of the old operation still on site - is a particular highlight.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mixdown's post:
  • thomash79