Steve Wright 1954-2024

Steve Wright made many an afternoon at work for me fly by. A dreadful loss of a radio genius, and far too soon.

(13-02-2024, 06:22 PM)Spencer Wrote:  The announcement on Radio 2 was made by newsreader, Mike Powell, mid-way during the 5pm bulletin, his voice clearly shaking.

Sara Cox came straight off the back of the bulletin, with no jingles/idents, also sounding shaken. She said they'd be playing some of his favourite songs, the first of which was Wichita Lineman by Glenn Campbell (the outro of which he used to play as a closing theme at the end of his Radio 1 afternoon show every day).

Really shocking news, very unexpected, and certainly a difficult time for everyone at Radio 2.

fxtwitter.com 

Said tribute has been shared on this tweet if anyone wants to view
[-] The following 8 users Like Tola's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, lookoutwales, Plutobug, Reith85, Spencer, UTVLifer

A true professional many happy afternoons listening to him over the years, genuinely is such a shock as many others have said
[-] The following 3 users Like tvwatcher's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, UTVLifer

(13-02-2024, 06:22 PM)Spencer Wrote:  The announcement on Radio 2 was made by newsreader, Mike Powell, mid-way during the 5pm bulletin, his voice clearly shaking.
I've just listened back - the fact that it came mid-bulletin makes me think that they got the news on air just as soon as they'd heard.

It was at the top of the 5.30 bulletin on 6 Music, and Huw Stevens has been paying tribute too.
[-] The following 5 users Like thegeek's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, DeMarkay, Plutobug, UTVLifer

Sara Cox came straight off the back of the bulletin, with no jingles/idents, also sounding shaken. She said they'd be playing some of his favourite songs, the first of which was Wichita Lineman by Glenn Campbell (the outro of which he used to play as a closing theme at the end of his Radio 1 afternoon show every day).

Really shocking news, very unexpected, and certainly a difficult time for everyone at Radio 2.

No travel beds or any bits of production... the station basically sounds the same as when it goes into Obit around a royal death.

I guess given the fact he was on air just a matter of days ago & has been with the station for an incredible number of years, it is the same as an Obit situation for them.
[-] The following 5 users Like Ash101's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, DeMarkay, Plutobug, UTVLifer

Here’s how Radio 2 announced the news on the 5pm bulletin.

x.com 

Funnily enough, I think despite that clamour by certain fans for Bauer to sign him up to Greatest Hits, Steve seemed happy enough to see out his career at the BBC - even after all the furore that his departure from afternoons brought.

And ultimately, even though he did have a commercial radio background with Luxy, 210 (and for a time, the original version of TalkRadio), his BBC work is what came to define him and what he’ll be best remembered for.

RIP.
[-] The following 8 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, DeMarkay, LargelyALurker, Plutobug, Reith85, scottishtv, UTVLifer

I'm surprised how gutted I am by this news. I saw the report on my phone and I find myself sat on my couch just listening to Radio 2 almost as an act of respect. The fact it's come out of the blue has probably floored quite a lot of people. Hearing Bobbie crack earlier during the traffic report was particularly heartbreaking.

Nevertheless, I'm happy this news is proving to be as "big" as it is, as it shows just how popular Steve is and how much people thought of him.

This news is leading the Six.

(13-02-2024, 06:43 PM)thegeek Wrote:  I've just listened back - the fact that it came mid-bulletin makes me think that they got the news on air just as soon as they'd heard.

It was at the top of the 5.30 bulletin on 6 Music, and Huw Stevens has been paying tribute too.

It's an intriguing one. The Head of Radio 2's tribute was quoted in the bulletin, so it wasn't news literally just in but probably embargoed. I suspect Sara had a bit more warning than the news bulletin to gather her thoughts before that link.
[-] The following 4 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, oscillon, Plutobug

Such a shock. They become part of you life and is such a shock when they sadly pass away. I’ll admit to a few tears rolling down my face.

A beautiful simple tribute from Sara. I think both her and Mike Powel did so well holding it together as they did. To be able be told someone you’d have known so well and from the sound of their voices obviously loved has died but to then have to announce it listeners and keep going shows what brilliant presenters and news readers they are.

I caught Nicky Campbell on news channel and you could see he was so upset.

A lovely touch not using any of the beds and stings. Part of me wants them to play the theme that used to be used in the build up to the news. As kids in the car to Scotland that always meant we were getting close to journeys end.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 4 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, JosiahStuart, Plutobug

This news comes as such a shock, a true legend of British broadcasting gone forever. I’m struggling to put it into words but he meant so much to so many people, who listened to him over many years.
[-] The following 3 users Like TVNerd's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, Bungo Bill