Steve Wright 1954-2024

Sara Cox playing his afternoon show closing theme before the news has got me.

Hard to put in words how incredible he was as a broadcaster, his love of the medium and his ability to connect with the audience shone in every show he did. I remember listening to the afternoon show a lot during early lockdown, and he really knew how to reflect it all.

And as a radio geek myself, his use of jingles was always a delight to listen to. His closing theme, as mentioned, is a personal favourite as is the Great Britain theme he used leading up to the 4pm news.

All in all, a really sad day.
[-] The following 6 users Like Ant's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, LargelyALurker, Plutobug, thePineapple, UTVLifer

Such a devastating headline to hear coming into the end of today. Steve was a brilliant broadcaster, and although I wasn't a heavy Radio 2 listener, he really did put his soul and heart into Radio 2, the heart of Radio 2 keeps on beating, but in a Wright-less world.

Rest in peace, Steve. I hope there's a Radio 2 in heaven for you.
[-] The following 6 users Like Allanbuzzy's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, DeMarkay, Frances, Nige, Plutobug

(13-02-2024, 07:03 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  It's an intriguing one. The Head of Radio 2's tribute was quoted in the bulletin, so it wasn't news literally just in but probably embargoed. I suspect Sara had a bit more warning than the news bulletin to gather her thoughts before that link.

Reminded of when Sir Terry’s death was announced - that came in mid-bulletin (presumably there was a 9am embargo) and then Mark Goodier went live with an impromptu tribute special not too dissimilar to what Sara’s doing right now.

Ironically, Sunday Love Songs was replaced by that Goodier special but one will imagine there are similar emotions and feelings for many about Steve tonight as there were with Terry.

Incidentally, this is how Simon Mayo broke the news to GHR listeners.

x.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, Brekkie, Plutobug

Somebody on Twitter pointed out that the show Sara Cox is doing now is very much like when Steve announced John Peel's death and dropped everything for tributes.
[-] The following 10 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, JosiahStuart, lookoutwales, oscillon, Plutobug, Reith85, Superman1986, UTVLifer

Steve was an absolute legend. I was lucky enough to get my non stop oldies played during his first month at Radio 2. I’m going to miss his voice enormously.
[-] The following 3 users Like Chud's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, scottishtv

This news has floored me. I've ended up tuning into Radio 2, almost a mark of respect, and Sara Cox has done a great job tonight ever since the news was announced

I've always held Sara in high regard as a broadcaster but tonight has just solidified that for me.

And as someone whose grown up hearing it on Radio 2 every night for years, the use of Steve's theme going into the 6pm news did make me emotional
[-] The following 8 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, all new phil, bilky asko, bkman1990, DeMarkay, Plutobug, Reith85, WhisperOfCinnamon

(13-02-2024, 07:03 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  This news is leading the Six.

It's an intriguing one. The Head of Radio 2's tribute was quoted in the bulletin, so it wasn't news literally just in but probably embargoed. I suspect Sara had a bit more warning than the news bulletin to gather her thoughts before that link.

Jeremy Vine speaking on the news channel suggests he knew by the end of his programme at 14:00 so presuming Sara and Mike told at around the same time they had a few hours to process the news before having to share it. I suspect in many ways having to continue as though nothing has happened in the period between knowing and being able to share is almost as hard for them as announcing the news.
[-] The following 7 users Like qwerty123's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, oscillon, Plutobug, Tim G, UTVLifer

I've been listening back to Sara Cox's show on BBC Sounds. Hearing the Steve Wright in the Afternoon closing theme just before 6pm, as well as Bobbie Pryor's first travel bulletin sent shivers down my spine.
[-] The following 6 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • Andrew Wood, AndrewP, bkman1990, Plutobug, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(13-02-2024, 06:45 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Funnily enough, I think despite that clamour by certain fans for Bauer to sign him up to Greatest Hits, Steve seemed happy enough to see out his career at the BBC - even after all the furore that his departure from afternoons brought.
Yes, and he was still obviously well thought of at the BBC, hence his recent move to present Pick of the Pops - he actually made it listenable.

Thing is he knew radio inside and out, he knew that programmes don't last forever and was professional enough to move on without a fuss. He mentored and advised new radio talent and wouldn't have begrudged the new guard like some of his more enthusiastic fans did

Quote:And ultimately, even though he did have a commercial radio background with Luxy, 210 (and for a time, the original version of TalkRadio), his BBC work is what came to define him and what he’ll be best remembered for.
Always amuses me that when he was at Radio 210 he was paired up with Mike Read on a programme called The Read and Wright Show Big Grin
[-] The following 6 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, lookoutwales, TesTVWhirl, UTVLifer

(13-02-2024, 07:44 PM)qwerty123 Wrote:  Jeremy Vine speaking on the news channel suggests he knew by the end of his programme at 14:00 so presuming Sara and Mike told at around the same time they had a few hours to process the news before having to share it. I suspect in many ways having to continue as though nothing has happened in the period between knowing and being able to share is almost as hard for them as announcing the news.

Similar things have happened before, Amy Garcia having to get through a whole Look North before announcing Harry Gration's death at the end of the programme, for example.
[-] The following 5 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, lookoutwales, Plutobug, UTVLifer