Steve Wright 1954-2024

Jo Whiley has kicked off her show saying it'll be a different one to usual

I would imagine Radio 2 will remain in pseudo-obit mode for the rest of the day, and probably into Zoe Ball and Vernon's shows in the morning

Tribute from Ken Bruce as well
x.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, Plutobug, Reith85

There’s a selection of ‘Tell It to Steve’ shows now available on BBC Sounds, largely focused on his interviews.

www.bbc.co.uk 

Plus a podcast version of Steve’s hour for Radio 1 Vintage in 2017.

www.bbc.co.uk 

And what turned out to be Steve’s final show - a Sunday Love Songs Valentine’s special.

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 8 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, Omnipresent, Plutobug, Reith85, RhysJR, scottishtv

He really was the first presenter to have a "Zoo TV" feel to his shows. Sid, Mr Mad and Gervais felt like fully fledged people and I feel its a shame he left Radio 1 breakfast.RIP

Growing up, I loved his style on Radio 1 'In The Afternoon' and even 'In The Morning' in the 90s. He was obviously never short of a feature or ten, and his instantly-recognisable jingles were thrilling for a young pres geek like me.

He really did make his big show sound big, even if his style lost a bit of it's appeal to me in recent years.

It does feel like he's gone too soon - especially as he was settling in to his new Radio 2 routine, and I don't think Love Songs will be quite the same without him. Indeed, I heard the Valentine's special at the weekend and joked to my partner that'd I'd try and get them a dedication from Steve on the show one day...

Such sad news.
[-] The following 3 users Like scottishtv's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990

Very sad rip Steve thoughts with his family
[-] The following 3 users Like Toby brown's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990

Very sad news indeed. An absolute radio legend (and I know that word gets banded about a lot but he was). I was only listening to Pick Of The Pops on Saturday, which of course he only took over in October... I actually heard the news on Radio 1 as Jordan North mentioned it, giving mention to the fact he was on Radio 1 for many years as well as 2. Fair play to Sara Cox and Bobbie Pryor for getting through that show this afternoon. Very fitting of Radio 2 to play records that Steve loved and championed over the years, plus the nice touch of his closing jingle in the run up to the 6pm news.

Jo Whiley mentioned she only say him at Maida Vale last Thursday, I assume recording the POTP's and Sunday Love Songs shows that went out weekend just gone.
[-] The following 4 users Like TVfan23's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, eyeTV, UTVLifer

Sorry for the double post - but below is a tweet from Anthony James, the man behind some of those familiar sounds:

x.com 

Plus, an excuse to share I video I've watched several times over the years:

youtu.be 
[-] The following 4 users Like scottishtv's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, dvboy, thePineapple

Listened to Steve Wright for 20-odd years on Radio 2, his afternoon show was always the soundtrack to the end of the day. Even if it sounded dated by 2022 it was always entertaining. Some people weren't a fan of him taking over Pick of the Pops but he fitted in well there. Often questioned the playlist on Love Songs too but that was Steve Wright for you.

Listened to a bit of Sara Cox's show this evening, I just happened to tune in not long after it was announced and they got the tone spot on.

The repeat of Saturday's Pick of the Pops at 3am has been replaced with Dance Sounds of the 90s. I assume they'll use the Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning shows this weekend to put out a fitting tribute.
[-] The following 3 users Like dvboy's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, scottishtv

Certainly came out of the blue, given his age and that his last show went out on Sunday. Certainly seems to have been well liked by a lot of his fellow radio presenters.

I think Jo Whiley summed up quite a few of the listeners thoughts a couple minutes ago on Radio 2 when she read out simply...
"Serious cryin', no g."

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 8 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, Nige, Plutobug, scottishtv, thePineapple, thomash79, UTVLifer

(13-02-2024, 07:03 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  It's an intriguing one. The Head of Radio 2's tribute was quoted in the bulletin, so it wasn't news literally just in but probably embargoed. I suspect Sara had a bit more warning than the news bulletin to gather her thoughts before that link.
Yes, there's no way she'd not have had any notice of it, for a start she'd have had to have had some songs for after the news ready in the system. The lead up to the ness was quite subdued to start to set the tone.

One fairly non-scientific guide to when Radio 2 knew could be going by when Steve Wright appeared in the top of the hour station ID... going by BBC Sounds his last appearance was at 11am
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AndrewP, Steve in Pudsey