Steve Wright 1954-2024

The BBC have updated the article to say that he sadly passed away on Monday.

According to that Telegraph article, there was supposed to be a meeting for the new Radio 2 service that was announced last week (with Steve being mentioned in the press release) yesterday.
[-] The following 5 users Like iloveTV1's post:
  • ACTV, AndrewP, bilky asko, lookoutwales, UTVLifer

(14-02-2024, 09:18 AM)Keith Wrote:  I'd suggest it may have been known earlier in the day that he was very unwell / taken to hospital, and that things weren't looking good. This might have prompted a few 'precautionary' measures, such as removing the ID and preparing a playlist for potential near-future use. It's also some people may have heard unofficially and/or directly from Steve's family prior to 5pm, hence how Jeremy Vine may have been aware by 2pm. The BBC would have also needed some time to prepare a statements to release with the news.

It's quite possible that Sara Cox and her colleagues only found that he'd died out once she'd handed over to the 5pm news. Perhaps fortunately the bulletin was about 5 minutes long, compared to the usual short midday bulletin at the start of Vine's show. This would fit in with what Mike Powell has said on twitter about him only knowing as he read it out.
He died on Monday so there was no doubt, it was just a case of when it was being announced and co-ordinating that. BBC News announced it onlime at the same time as Radio 2 with a prepared article (it was an actual article, not just the one liner that sometimes appears).

As I say Sara's show did seem to change tone leading up to the news and she didn't promote ahead except to say the news was coming up. The newsreader first saw it in the bulletin, but there's no way that Sara and team had no idea till then.

They almost certainly started working on getting some songs together as soon as word had reached Radio 2 earlier in the day. But the on air studio would have known before the news, 2 minutes isn't a great amount of time to tell them, let them get used to it, load the next couple of songs and prepare what to say in the next link.

You don't just walk into a studio and say 'your colleague's died, you're back on air in 2 minutes say something nice and play this song'
[-] The following 4 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, UTVLifer, WhisperOfCinnamon

Yes, I'm sure Sara and her team will have been briefed - as a duty of care, if nothing else.

The Radio 2 bulletins now come from a completely different part of NBH (the newsroom, at the bottom of the building) compared to the Radio 2 studios (much higher up) so it wouldn't be a surprise that even if it was becoming known in the on air teams, it was able to be kept from the news teams (as it would have been).

Awfully sad news.
[-] The following 5 users Like steve's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, DeMarkay, Nige, UTVLifer

When I was a kid growing up, before I knew who the Marx Brothers were, I used to think those Groucho glasses were meant to be "Steve Wright" glasses... please tell me I wasn't the only one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • bilky asko

Interesting to read he was on air when 9/11 news broke. Would be interested to hear that.
[-] The following 4 users Like Alessi's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, Plutobug, RhysJR

As fantastic to hear as ever, a musical tribute from Steve Rosenberg in Moscow.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 6 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, Brekkie, scottishtv, Spencer

(14-02-2024, 01:38 AM)Ash101 Wrote:  And also that “virtually every commercial company” had made contact about taking him on, but wouldn’t offer him the chance to have guests or have a say in the music - so he stayed put at the BBC.

I guess that makes sense for GHR as it doesn’t fit in with what they do all, but I’m surprised Virgin couldn’t make it work. Although how many guests are there to share between him, Chris & Graham!

From accounts of those who have worked with Steve he was quite particular about the set up of his studio and having control over the structure & pace of the show.

On a commercial station, Steve would have to work around ad breaks and, on a network, split links.

Looking back at the tributes it is remarkable how the managed to maintain the pace & energy of his show five days a week when, as we all do, have our good and bad days.

Plus there was the attention to detail, like shouting “Cheers Jeremy!” off microphone at the start his show as though Jeremy was just out of the door.

Back when Steve was on Radio 1, I remember reading a feature in the NME on the station just as the Bannister revolution was underway and being surprised to learn that all the “Talkie Bits” etc with the posse were pre-recorded.

Other presenters like Mark & Lard did quip about it and some may see it as “inauthentic” but it was about consistently delivering the best experience for the listener.

I do hope in time there is a full tribute with archive material and contributions from members of his former production teams.
[-] The following 3 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, UTVLifer

I haven't been on this forum for a while now, but safe to say I was quite shocked and saddened by yesterday's news. Whenever I would get a chance to listen to Radio 2, I would listen to his radio show (eg. When I was on holiday in South Uist.) Fair play to Sara Cox and the team for getting through yesterday's show, especially hard when you've worked with a colleague for many years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Plutobug's post:
  • bilky asko

Scott Mills is bringing back 'The Non-Stop Oldies' in tribute to Steve in his 2pm show today.
[-] The following 10 users Like Alessi's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, Larry the Loafer, lookoutwales, Nige, Plutobug, scottishtv, Toby brown, UTVLifer

At the end of Vernon's show and today's Piano Room the concert orchestra did their own tribute with a rendition of his theme.
With it being Wednesday all we need now is a harpist solo.
[-] The following 5 users Like South's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, Gordonthegopher, UTVLifer