Steve Wright 1954-2024

It was mentioned earlier that Liza Tarbuck would be presenting a special version of Love Songs on Sunday morning.

I don't know if Pick of the Pops is recorded well in advance and if there are Steve versions pre-recorded. I expect it's possible that Paul Gambaccini may be asked back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eyeTV's post:
  • bilky asko

(14-02-2024, 05:16 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  For anyone who didn't hear, Greg James played the 3pm theme and made a tribute to Steve Wright at the start of his show this morning

Scott started his show with Steve's opening theme as well, which was very fitting.. with him being Steve's successor on the afternoon show. They also brought back the 'Non Stop' Oldies at 3pm in tribute, complete with jingles.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TVfan23's post:
  • bilky asko

(14-02-2024, 06:25 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  It was mentioned earlier that Liza Tarbuck would be presenting a special version of Love Songs on Sunday morning.

I don't know if Pick of the Pops is recorded well in advance and if there are Steve versions pre-recorded. I expect it's possible that Paul Gambaccini may be asked back.

It's not been unknown for a different year to be broadcast than detailed in the schedule so there are probably several POTPs recorded in advance.

A really solid tribute to Steve Wright today, someone who definitely influenced me during my days hosting student radio back in Uni. We've certainly lost a talent

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]

But Pick of the Pops plays the chart of the current date from the year in question, so they couldn't switch the episodes around.

I don't think the tribute from Chris Moyles has been mentioned yet

twitter.com 

(It's been edited in the video, the full version is 1:33 in on Global Player)
[-] The following 5 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, Plutobug, thegeek

A beautiful heartfelt tribute from Moyles this morning, but I expect nothing less - his tributes to John Peel and Kevin Greening stick in the memory.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 10 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, Brekkie, DeMarkay, fusionlad, Plutobug, Steve in Pudsey, Toby brown, what

Just noticed that the Sara Cox programme from yesterday has been split into two on BBC Sounds. The first hour, then the two hours dedicated to remembering Steve Wright.

www.bbc.co.uk 

The Sounds recording of the Vernon Kay programme from this morning now includes the full Steve Wright theme at its conclusion.

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 4 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, scottishtv, UTVLifer

I read somewhere that he would eat his breakfast at Wogan House so matches what has been said about him being there all day.

The tributes to Steve are great, he did have his critics as well as fans but there's no disagreement he brought a lot of joy to his listeners.
[-] The following 2 users Like XIII's post:
  • Nige, UTVLifer

(14-02-2024, 02:06 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  From accounts of those who have worked with Steve he was quite particular about the set up of his studio

Wasn't there a story that after a programme fell to bits in the early days of computer playout he had a bit of a tantrum and insisted on having cart machines back?

Listening to his Love Song programme from Sunday is so sad with hindsight
[-] The following 2 users Like Alessi's post:
  • bilky asko, stusoldvideo