The Apprentice

I always thought that one of the Dragons might take over, perhaps Peter Jones?

(20-02-2024, 04:14 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  I always thought that one of the Dragons might take over, perhaps Peter Jones?
I’m sure he’d like to. But he isn’t really that interesting though is he? I know he did ITV’s equivalent Tycoon and American Inventor in the states as well as now guest appearances on Shark Tank but he’s never really been one of the more interesting Dragon’s on the panel.

Hilary Devey would be great, but might be difficult on account of her being dead.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jon's post:
  • bilky asko, Stuart, Will

(20-02-2024, 04:43 PM)Jon Wrote:  I’m sure he’d like to. But he isn’t really that interesting though is he? I know he did ITV’s equivalent Tycoon and American Inventor in the states as well as now guest appearances on Shark Tank but he’s never really been one of the more interesting Dragon’s on the panel.

There was lots of commentary to exactly this effect when Sugar was eventually announced as being 'the boss' on The Apprentice (is it really 20 years ago?!). His lines are all clearly rehearsed/provided to him (you can tell the ones which aren't because they fall flat).

I suppose the benefit Sugar had then which his successor won't is that most of his domestic audience weren't comparing him to anything - the US version had aired late at night to hardly anybody.

I agree that Brady would be a poor choice tho. I've never really rated her in the 'advisor' role either to be honest, she only has one mode which is super-skeptical super-harsh adversary... back in the Nick and Margaret days when they pointed out the idiotic mistake to the team it had more impact in my view because they weren't (always) hostile. Tim Campbell is great tho.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • Jon

(20-02-2024, 04:53 PM)WillPS Wrote:  I agree that Brady would be a poor choice tho. I've never really rated her in the 'advisor' role either to be honest, she only has one mode which is super-skeptical super-harsh adversary... back in the Nick and Margaret days when they pointed out the idiotic mistake to the team it had more impact in my view because they weren't (always) hostile. Tim Campbell is great tho.

Always loved Nick's subtly pointing out where they'd gone wrong and then letting them deal with the fallout. "Anyway, I'll leave it with you..."

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes VMPhil's post:
  • AndrewP

(20-02-2024, 03:32 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Problem is that she doesn't exactly fit the role in terms of her business background. It's always been to do with entrepreneurs starting businesses. That's what Alan did, but Karren went into business in a very different way - starting in media sales and then working her way up. It's very different to how Lord Sugar, or even Trump in the original, portray themselves

Nor does she have the wealth of Surallan, she's well off but no where near the same amount of money floating around to invest in the winner.

But yes she'd be great in the role if those format points were worked out

Well originally it was for an Apprentice, not an investment, and sounds like Karen may have started that way herself.

I assume Alan's investment is covered by his fee.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Stuart

(20-02-2024, 05:22 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  Always loved Nick's subtly pointing out where they'd gone wrong and then letting them deal with the fallout. "Anyway, I'll leave it with you..."

Yes! I loved those moments.

(20-02-2024, 05:27 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Well originally it was for an Apprentice

Not really. It was for a 1 year fixed term executive job with a £100k (in 2005 money) salary. The Apprentice was just a catchy name, in the same way as Survivor isn't really about one's ability to survive the wildness.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • Brekkie

(20-02-2024, 03:56 PM)Jon Wrote:  The one memorable line mentioned above is the exception that proves the rule she wouldn’t be very good.

I was quite impressed when I saw Emma Grede, who I’d never heard of before, on Dragon’s Den, I think she’d be a good choice.

Steven Bartlett may be another good choice if they wanted to totally reinvent it.
[-] The following 2 users Like Alessi's post:
  • DeMarkay, Reith85

(20-02-2024, 07:32 PM)Alessi Wrote:  Steven Bartlett may be another good choice if they wanted to totally reinvent it.

This is who I think it’d likely be.

(20-02-2024, 08:28 PM)all new phil Wrote:  This is who I think it’d likely be.
It probably wouldn’t last very long then. Like Peter Jones another person who isn’t that interesting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • thomash79

(20-02-2024, 09:13 PM)Jon Wrote:  It probably wouldn’t last very long then. Like Peter Jones another person who isn’t that interesting.

Oh I totally agree. It just seems the most likely.
[-] The following 1 user Likes all new phil's post:
  • Jon