Countdown

I wonder how long ago this Christmas special was filmed? Probably summer time. I do know that Joe Lycett's Christmas special which followed the Cats Does Countdown Christmas Special was filmed way back in May 2023 I think, just after he finished his first series of this show.

I watched one of the earlier Christmas specials back and Lee Mack does a gag asking if Jimmy feels Christmassy yet. "I don't, it's only September".
[-] The following 4 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, Larry the Loafer, London Lite, thomash79

Joe Lycett mentioned the closing down sale of Wilko, which suggests it may have been September this time round too.

(22-12-2023, 12:24 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  Joe Lycett mentioned the closing down sale of Wilko, which suggests it may have been September this time round too.

Someone said they saw Joe filming Christmas scenes in May outdoors in Birmingham, which made me think he filmed it around May time.

Back in 2020 the Christmas special had already been filmed before lockdown.

(22-12-2023, 01:05 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Back in 2020 the Christmas special had already been filmed before lockdown.

That was a weird one, it had a 2019 copyright date and seemed to have been recorded even before the 2019 Christmas special.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

They still have most of Series 24 in the can and unaired.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Brekkie

(22-12-2023, 01:02 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Someone said they saw Joe filming Christmas scenes in May outdoors in Birmingham, which made me think he filmed it around May time.

That’s more likely to be for the Late Night Lycett Christmas special rather than Catsdown. (Or is that what you meant?)

(22-12-2023, 12:03 AM)bilky asko Wrote:  Having watched the mewest 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown Christmas Special tonight, I note that they've now moved to using the virtual conundrum board - had this occured before tonight's edition?

I've been watching a few episodes of the Australian Celebrity reboot of Letters and Numbers, which is now an ITV Studios Australia production and has an almost identical set to Countdown (albeit with a numbers and letters board that is at least a foot too short to be comfortable), the traditional Alan Hawkshaw music and a Dictionary Corner guest.

What I found interesting is that they are doing the superimposed letter and number selection during the clock sequence using graphics in the same style as the UK conundrum graphic rather than a masked shot of the board. The graphics use the same font used in the UK despite the physical cards on set for the number round using a different font. It doesn't look too bad.

SBS do show 8 Out of 10 Cats do Countdown, so it feels like they have tweaked the format a bit to differentiate it. They seem to be playing the game properly rather than the game being a vehicle to put comedy around as on CatsDown. They have three celebrities playing as individuals rather than two pairs. Almost surprised they didn't call it Celebrity Countdown as it's about 35 years since the original Coundown pop music programme last aired.

www.youtube.com 

(Anybody know why there are five big numbers cards?)

A totally faithful recreation, even their version of Rachel Reilly's pregnant!
[-] The following 2 users Like rick's post:
  • AndrewP, Steve in Pudsey