Countdown

I'm not sure as in one article I read says he's the permanent host, but the Countdown wiki says he's only contracted until March.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Yorksman's post:
  • Spencer

If correct 750k for the final is far far healthier than under both Anne and indeed Nick where it was around the 300k mark. Obviously a lift for the final, and perhaps more off than usual on Christmas Eve Eve with the usual BBC1/ITV daytime line ups not airing, but still that is very healthy. Not much get 750k for C4 in primetime these days.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Spencer, thomash79

The Countdown Wiki now reckons Colin has now had his contract extended until the end of 2024 which is pretty much 'permanent' I guess, although I can see them still using guest hosts from time to time when Colin is unavailable for sporting events or whatever else crops up
[-] The following 3 users Like Johnr's post:
  • Brekkie, DE88, Spencer

Can't they just arrange filming around those? They only usually replace someone if it's unavoidable i.e. Susie getting COVID, Rachel's maternity leave.

Does Colin actually cover any live sport? He left Snooker coverage on Eurosport and obviously doesn’t the present the Football League now. So unless he’s covering anything for 5 Live he doesn’t do anything apart from his regular programmes on there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Brekkie

Good news and I suspect they'll schedule around him as much as possible, although now the precedent is set for guest hosts it isn't the end of the world if he has to miss a few weeks every so often. Only issue really is the nature of the filming blocks means it tends to be 3-4 weeks at once. The other option if that is the only way to keep him is to cut a few weeks off each series - after all Countdown is the only daytime quiz show that has new episodes every week of the year.

I think guest presenters is a nice way to mix things up a bit and can help to generate a bit of buzz around the programme. I guess the only issue is it could be seen as something that undermines Colin status as host. Although I’m not sure Colin needs time off if he just does his regular show, which after all is in more or less the same place.

I think there is an opportunity for Channel 4 to push Colin’s profile and that would be to make him their lead presenter on England football, particularly as I don’t think their coverage was that distinctive before. I know he’s not English, but Gabby Logan isn’t Welsh!*

*Just realised she is Welsh although not born there and of course represented Wales in the Commonwealth Games.

Gabby wouldn't be a bad shout to guest host Countdown to be honest, she deps for Colin on Fighting Talk on occasion so a nice symmetry
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • DE88

If they did go back onto the guest presenter format again, I’d like to see Richard Osman host, he’s been great in Dictionary Corner in the last couple of days. His style definitely suits the show.

Out of the 4 week rota in November, Moira Stuart was a great addition.

Having said that, I’m happy with Colin hosting, he has enthusiasm and gives a damn about the show, unlike his predecessor.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nwtv2003's post:
  • DE88

Apparently the new permanent host of Countdown will be revealed on Steph’s Packed Lunch tomorrow.