Graham Norton leaving his Virgin Saturday show

It was reported just last year that Claudia Winkleman had done a chat show pilot with So Television. So I guess they are already thinking ahead.
[-] The following 2 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • DeMarkay, UTVLifer

The departure does seem very sudden. Virgin Radio was marketed around Chris Evans and Graham Norton. If it loses Chris as well, it's hard to see what's left of the station's profile.
[-] The following 5 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, Nige, UTVLifer

Not really surprised, he seems to be concentrating more on his writing these days and his profile and audience on Virgin is a lot less than at Radio 2.

He was one of the two big names they used to promote Virgin so he'll be a big loss to the station, and of course it's not long since it's sister outlet, Talk lost its big name too.
[-] The following 6 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, callumwatchestelly, lookoutwales, UTVLifer

(24-02-2024, 06:38 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Not really surprised, he seems to be concentrating more on his writing these days and his profile and audience on Virgin is a lot less than at Radio 2.

He was one of the two big names they used to promote Virgin so he'll be a big loss to the station, and of course it's not long since it's sister outlet, Talk lost its big name too.

Cost cutting as well by News UK given the figures?

Not just Talk and Virgin - Bauer has taken a chainsaw to the budget of Scala Radio, as from the beginning of March, there will be no live presenters from 1pm weekdays as the station will go into automation except news and ads, while Mark Kermode and Luci Holland have been dropped from the weekend schedule.
[-] The following 3 users Like AndyB2008's post:
  • bkman1990, Happy2001, lookoutwales

Graham has spoken about his want to cut back on the work he is doing - he spoke about this back even before the pandemic.

So now, he only does the BBC chat show from late September until the end of February, instead of having a month off and return for a spring run from April until June.

I knew this day was coming, as when he was in Ireland, he spoke about how he is changing many things in his life, now he is married, and now he is about to turn 61 in April

At the end of his chat show on Friday, he did say he would be back in the autumn for a new run, but I believe in the next year or two he will retire from the chat show - Jack Whitehall was the name I have been hearing and reading as a possible new host, as he did guest host for Graham back in 2019 for one show.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • AJB39

As long as he keeps doing Eurovision!

I don't think even him quitting that is a problem now with Rylan most likely primed to take over, especially now the semi finals will remain on BBC1.

(25-02-2024, 12:47 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I don't think even him quitting that is a problem now with Rylan most likely primed to take over, especially now the semi finals will remain on BBC1.

True. I’d forgotten about Rylan. An ideal replacement if Graham Norton quits.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scrotnig's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

Although it was noticeable that they chose not use Rylan last year for the voting when Graham was on stage

(25-02-2024, 12:34 PM)MajesticBass Wrote:  Although it was noticeable that they chose not use Rylan last year for the voting when Graham was on stage
Well that’s becuase he was on Radio 2, I’d assume. Although that didn’t stop Ken Bruce giving out the results at Eurovision 98 of course.

Although, as good as Rylan is at most things he turns his hand to, I’m not sure he’s at the credibility and prestige that Terry had and Graham has one he started. But then it’s difficult to see who the options would be in that regard. Maybe Sue?