Graham Norton leaving his Virgin Saturday show

With Eurovision you’ve also got Scott Mills and Mel G. Rylan or Mel would be good.

I can see Graham stepping down from his chat show soon if not cutting it right back so that it’s over the christmas period most likely part of bbc1s New Year’s Eve programming.

I’ve not been watching it as much. It feels like it’s lost something. I know it’s always been the case, but it feels like celebrities pushing films or books now. It feels like graham is going through the motion and his hearts not in it.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 3 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, JMT1985, Toby brown

The Graham Norton Show started to lose it's edgy feeling around a decade ago - once the show started to get a lot of American audiences watching, Graham started to drop his topical monologue at the top of the show, now he barely does two minutes at the top of the show - all of the phone calls he used to make, or making use of webcams, or the rude bits he used to do are all now gone. He doesn't bother to go into the audience for games. It does feel he is has cut it down to the bare bones of a talk show format.

As said before, Graham is now older, and he probably feels it is better to just concentrate on the interviews - the big stars all love appearing on there, as he is a very relaxed interviewer, and will never go into areas his guests will feel awkward about, he said so in previous interviews that his job is not a "gotcha" style interview, to get a scoop.

The 10.40pm slot is also now the graveyard slot - back when Jonathan Ross was king of the 10.35pm slot, he could bring in 4 to 6 million viewers - now, 14 years after Graham took over Jonathan's Friday slot, that figure will never be reached again. I think Graham's show averages around the 2 million mark.
[-] The following 2 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, UTVLifer

Ratings have generally halved across the schedule in that period though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • XIII

I think it is about time BBC, ITV etc start a new talk show, a show with bite

The fact that Graham has done Wheel of Fortune and that Irish Amazon show, suggests to me he’d probably like to do telly (and probably radio) that he can record a series of in few days. Rather than having more regular weekly commitments.

If that weak assumption of mine is correct, Eurovision is probably something that he could probably still do. And presumably his radio and TV shows could morph into more specials which don’t need to be recorded weekly. So perhaps an interview programme more like Life Stories or the interview/panel show Paul O’Grady did a few years ago, and he could probably record some specials in one go or at home for radio.

Even if he steps back and broadcasters will still want him. So I’m sure they’ll come up with a formats based around him.

I don't see Graham tying himself to one TV channel - when I read he would host Wheel of Fortune for ITV, I saw that he is not under a special deal with the BBC, and also he isn't really a BBC man anymore. I see him going freelance in the future.

(25-02-2024, 08:49 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I see him going freelance in the future.
Well as your post points out, he already is.

The moans about ratings being less than in the past is kind of dumb. People do realise it's 2024, not 2004?

Seeing as one of the main reasons for his move to Virgin was that the studio was closer to his house, I feel the radio programme probably hasn’t been one of his primary focuses for a while.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

I wonder if Graham was to be replaced for the BBC's flagship chat show, would they have a harder time attracting the caliber of guests they have now?

From a PR view, yes, it's still the most popular chat show on British TV and makes more sense for a celebrity with something to plug to appear there rather on Jonathan Ross or The Lateish Show. But Graham has undoubtedly built a reputation for him and his show, where the guests know they're likely to have a really good time and feel relaxed.

Quite what your Tom Hankses or your Jennifer Lawrences would feel about being interviewed by Claudia Winkleman or Jack Whitehall is anybody's guess.