Graham Norton leaving his Virgin Saturday show

(25-02-2024, 10:12 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I wonder if Graham was to be replaced for the BBC's flagship chat show, would they have a harder time attracting the caliber of guests they have now?

From a PR view, yes, it's still the most popular chat show on British TV and makes more sense for a celebrity with something to plug to appear there rather on Jonathan Ross or The Lateish Show. But Graham has undoubtedly built a reputation for him and his show, where the guests know they're likely to have a really good time and feel relaxed.

Quite what your Tom Hankses or your Jennifer Lawrences would feel about being interviewed by Claudia Winkleman or Jack Whitehall is anybody's guess.

I think yes, it will be hard for a new talk show to get the big guests - BBC would need to hire someone who is known internationally - the name Jack Whitehall has been going around since 2019 as a possible replacement for Graham, considering Jack stood in for Graham for one show in 2019 - Jack is known in the US, since his TV shows and stand up specials are all on Netflix, I can see Jack being able to attract big celebrity guests

Well Graham is only really known in America because for that chat show, I know he’s done a couple of series for the US market over the years but they’ve never really taken off. It’s the guests talking to and regaling each other with their anecdotes that makes the show go viral.

Jack Whitehall I know has appeared on US chat shows, so he’s probably about as well known as Graham was over there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • UTVLifer

(25-02-2024, 10:12 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I wonder if Graham was to be replaced for the BBC's flagship chat show, would they have a harder time attracting the caliber of guests they have now?

From a PR view, yes, it's still the most popular chat show on British TV and makes more sense for a celebrity with something to plug to appear there rather on Jonathan Ross or The Lateish Show. But Graham has undoubtedly built a reputation for him and his show, where the guests know they're likely to have a really good time and feel relaxed.

Quite what your Tom Hankses or your Jennifer Lawrences would feel about being interviewed by Claudia Winkleman or Jack Whitehall is anybody's guess.

Tom Hanks has been on The One Show with Jermaine Jenas, so I'm sure he would be happy to appear on a 'bigger' show with Claudia Winkleman or Jack Whitehall Big Grin

www.youtube.com 

But I think there is merit to your point that the biggest names appearing on The One Show feels like something that is more contractual than them pushing to do it, which may not be as true with Graham's show. Plus, The One Show is only an hour or so commitment in early evening in the heart of London - a good time and location to go and do something else in your evening afterwards.

(26-02-2024, 01:34 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  Tom Hanks has been on The One Show with Jermaine Jenas, so I'm sure he would be happy to appear on a 'bigger' show with Claudia Winkleman or Jack Whitehall Big Grin

www.youtube.com 

But I think there is merit to your point that the biggest names appearing on The One Show feels like something that is more contractual than them pushing to do it, which may not be as true with Graham's show. Plus, The One Show is only an hour or so commitment in early evening in the heart of London - a good time and location to go and do something else in your evening afterwards.
The reason they appear on The One Show is because it's the only place they can appear to plug their film/book/TV programme in prime time to a mainstream audience.

Outside of This Morning/Loose Women and Norton/Ross and the weekend cooking shows there is nothing in the schedules that they can appear on.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • Happy2001, UTVLifer

(24-02-2024, 07:25 PM)AndyB2008 Wrote:  Bauer has taken a chainsaw to the budget of Scala Radio, as from the beginning of March, there will be no live presenters from 1pm weekdays as the station will go into automation except news and ads, while Mark Kermode and Luci Holland have been dropped from the weekend schedule.

That's quite the turnabout for a station launched on the premise of being a "classical entertainment station", with more speech content than its competitors. It's a shame they seemingly couldn't make that work: Simon Mayo's daily show was a great listen.

New Virgin Radio weekend line-up announced. Angela Scanlon presents weekend breakfast, whilst Harpz Kaur joins from BBC Asian Network.

radiotoday.co.uk 

The article doesn't mention it, but it's a return to Virgin Radio for Angela Scanlon, who presented the original Saturday 10am-1pm show with Russell Kane when the station launched in 2016.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

The new weekend schedules mean Amy Voce is leaving Virgin.

www.instagram.com ==

Surprised she’s hung around for that long, really. You’ll recall she was poached along with Sam Pinkham from their award-winning breakfast show at Gem 106 (which twice beat Chris Evans at the Radio Academy Awards) to replace Edith Bowman…

…only for them to be split up after losing their breakfast slot to…Chris Evans!

Couldn’t help but feel sorry for them, considering they were being tipped for great things as a duo pre-Virgin (Pinkham now does cover for BBC Radio 2 - he was moved to early breakfast post-Evans)
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • Stooky Bill