BBC/ITV South News

(23-11-2023, 09:53 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  Do the BBC have a central team for graphics? I could see a benefit off the new studios being easily able to deploy a standard one off graphic set to support events like this, Children in Need, Make a Difference awards. This would seem a good efficiency delivering enhanced quality.

There is, and they do.  But there are also dedicated designers regionally for bespoke on the day stuff for each region.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Deejay's post:
  • Superman1986

(23-11-2023, 08:47 PM)Spencer Wrote:  It feels the tower screens were always meant for this…

x.com 

Got a question. Are the region logo and opaqueness over the video wall physical portion of the set? Or is it something in a template they just didn’t bother to remove for a quick 30 second bit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rkolsen's post:
  • Superman1986

(27-11-2023, 05:01 PM)rkolsen Wrote:  Got a question. Are the region logo and opaqueness over the video wall physical portion of the set? Or is it something in a template they just didn’t bother to remove for a quick 30 second bit.
It's graphical. In fact, when Midlands Today launched with their set, I think there were a couple of occasions when handing back from the weather it had 'East Midlands Today' by mistake on the virtual panel - someone had forgotten to put the correct template in. Was very quickly corrected though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Earlie37's post:
  • Superman1986

(27-11-2023, 06:07 PM)Earlie37 Wrote:  It's graphical. In fact, when Midlands Today launched with their set, I think there were a couple of occasions when handing back from the weather it had 'East Midlands Today' by mistake on the virtual panel - someone had forgotten to put the correct template in. Was very quickly corrected though.

I asked because the opaqueness looks go above top to bottom above where the screens end. 
I highlighted an area I’m wondering if those are screens or just the base/header for the monitor wall. If it isn’t a video screen I assume the opaque elements are actually glass.

Yes it does - the templates provided go from top to bottom of the screens- the only physical elements are the stripey part at the top and the plinth at the bottom.

Here is roughly how the image looks before it's divided across the screens:
up.metropol247.co.uk 
Web Image

Anything except the grates on the far left and right and between the two grey bands can change in the template, and some areas are set up to change in isolation for instance a DTL view or the weather screens.

(27-11-2023, 08:36 PM)Mike Wrote:  Yes it does - the templates provided go from top to bottom of the screens- the only physical elements are the stripey part at the top and the plinth at the bottom.

up.metropol247.co.uk 

Anything except the grates on the far left and right and between the two grey bands can change in the template, and some areas are set up to change in isolation for instance a DTL view or the weather screens.
Anyone want to take a bet on which region will be the first to accidentally display ‘BBC Prog Name’ on air?

(27-11-2023, 08:36 PM)Mike Wrote:  Yes it does - the templates provided go from top to bottom of the screens- the only physical elements are the stripey part at the top and the plinth at the bottom.

up.metropol247.co.uk 

Okay so what parts can change - is it just the video between the grey parts? From the Dr, Who video it appeared all 3 walls could but the grates (if that’s what the opaque thing I call is) stay in place when dealing with a template. Can the program strap be easily removed?

And naturally I suppose you’re working on a special could you load up different video (not based on a template) across the three screens without the grates - either treating it as one canvas or three?

Someone said this all runs on CasparCG which I assume has inputs to key in DTL or weather. I assume it wouldn’t hit the VM for keying as someone said most regions aren’t HD capable even with the new walls (which I hope are running at HD).

Finally a question about the OverDrive installation - are they just controlling legacy equipment or did they come in and install switchers and maybe new graphics servers. I know there was talk about the Ross all in ones.

So only the background video can change - the grates aren't visible in the image I posted, but they're faux structural/industrial grating that bookend the screens - I assume to make it a little bit less 'fake'?

So anything in the background can change. In theory anything can be put there, as long as the correct templates are used. The wipe that goes between background images can be set so it appears above or below the 'panels'. The most obvious use is the when the date is taken away at the top of the broadcast:

up.metropol247.co.uk 
Web Image

That isn't to say they can't display just anything there, there are standardised backgrounds used for politics productions, the regional news, CIN that can be selected - I'm giving it a few years before one region gets bored and goes rogue and we end up with a complete mess on the screens... My gut is telling me it'll be Look Leeds, probably with a squashed down version of studio B as their backdrop, but everything written in a blend of reith, gill and helvetica.

EDIT: As far as the new gallery solutions go - and I stress I am not an insider, but do have a few friends who work at different regional sites - I've been told that everything gets replaced. Some regions are still running Aston CGs from the late 80s, there are new vision mixers, new graphics engines and a new type of automation built around the MOS protocol which comes with the Ross setup. Everything gets ripped out, but the way they're having to do it is construct a new gallery temporarily somewhere else, then relocate it once the old setup has been removed. Long term they reckon that they can produce a regional news programme with 2 or 3 people for the main evening edition. Interestingly the sites with old school presentation galleries are keeping them, but they're likely to be just one screen and one panel driving the main gear (shotbox).

Slowly aging Thomson 1707s are being replaced with Sony cameras (on the same peds), bit by bit some parts are changing.

No South Today this weekend due to maintenance work - bulletins are combined with South East Today.
[-] The following 2 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • Pompeytv, Superman1986

Despite not being in there long, BBC South already showing up a lot of regions by demonstrating how a bit of creativity can be used to make the new sets shine to their full potential...
x.com 
[-] The following 6 users Like Earlie37's post:
  • Brekkie, IanJRedman, lookoutwales, Pompeytv, Stuart, TVFan