BBC/ITV South News

Compared to Look East who have done their best to have news stories from the west on their new pan-regional bulletin, South Today was largely stories from Berkshire or the South Coast. A token features piece at the end of the bulletin was from Oxford along with mentions of Oxford United and Swindon Town on the sports segment, along with the pan-regional weather forecast.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Former Member 406

(19-12-2022, 08:05 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Compared to Look East who have done their best to have news stories from the west on their new pan-regional bulletin, South Today was largely stories from Berkshire or the South Coast.    A token features piece at the end of the bulletin was from Oxford along with mentions of Oxford United and Swindon Town on the sports segment, along with the pan-regional weather forecast.

I think it'll take a few days to see if they really are taking the former subregion into account. The problem with South Today is that the former Oxford sub-region is proportionately a lot smaller to the South region (just under 20% of the region's population) than the Cambridge sub-region was to the East region (around 60%) - so even purely on chance it'll be more difficult for Oxford stories to get prominence. That said, it's obviously important to South Today to at least look like they are trying to integrate the former sub-region.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • Former Member 406

(19-12-2022, 08:12 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(19-12-2022, 08:05 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Compared to Look East who have done their best to have news stories from the west on their new pan-regional bulletin, South Today was largely stories from Berkshire or the South Coast.    A token features piece at the end of the bulletin was from Oxford along with mentions of Oxford United and Swindon Town on the sports segment, along with the pan-regional weather forecast.

I think it'll take a few days to see if they really are taking the former subregion into account. The problem with South Today is that the former Oxford sub-region is proportionately a lot smaller to the South region (just under 20% of the region's population) than the Cambridge sub-region was to the East region (around 60%) - so even purely on chance it'll be more difficult for Oxford stories to get prominence. That said, it's obviously important to South Today to at least look like they are trying to integrate the former sub-region.

They managed to squeeze in pictures from a Christmas lights tractor festival in Oxford with music after the weather but it all seems tokenistic.

The Meridian bulletin at least keeps their 15 minute sub-opt segment before joining the rest of the patch but the feeling I'm getting from the pan-regional ST is that if you want news, it's Meridian or nothing as we're not going to do much north of Reading.

A couple of new scenes in the opening titles tonight - Banbury and Oxford Canal.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kendal87's post:
  • bkman1990, London Lite, Superman1986

I wonder how many people watch ST in Banbury when one of their Freeview Lite relays is of Sutton Coldfield rather than Oxford.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Superman1986

(19-12-2022, 07:44 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Where's the first scene on the opening titles?
That is the King Alfred statue in Winchester.
[-] The following 2 users Like Former Member 406's post:
  • London Lite, Superman1986

(19-12-2022, 08:19 PM)London Lite Wrote:  
(19-12-2022, 08:12 PM)DTV Wrote:  I think it'll take a few days to see if they really are taking the former subregion into account. The problem with South Today is that the former Oxford sub-region is proportionately a lot smaller to the South region (just under 20% of the region's population) than the Cambridge sub-region was to the East region (around 60%) - so even purely on chance it'll be more difficult for Oxford stories to get prominence. That said, it's obviously important to South Today to at least look like they are trying to integrate the former sub-region.

They managed to squeeze in pictures from a Christmas lights tractor festival in Oxford with music after the weather but it all seems tokenistic.   

The Meridian bulletin at least keeps their 15 minute sub-opt segment before joining the rest of the patch but the feeling I'm getting from the pan-regional ST is that if you want news, it's Meridian or nothing as we're not going to do much north of Reading.
Was Banbury not Oxford

Running order for Tuesday:

Hospital trusts go into critical mode - Live from Winchester
Nurses strike - VT from Oxford, interview with nurse from Dorset.

IN BRIEF:
Coroner's report after a man who died after being restrained by police in Slough (BBC London editorial area).
Wiltshire Police Performance Report.

Surrey Police concerns over emoji's being used to groom children to sell drugs. Zoom interview with a detective.
National piece from BBC science correspondent Victoria Gill looking at a study of carbon in an Oxfordshire woodland.

SPORT:
VT from a racehorse stables near Winchester.
Preview of League Cup action featuring Southampton and Bournemouth
Brief mention of Aylesbury gymnast nominated for SPOTY with Commonwealth Games clip.

Weather
Sign-off with a VT from a carol service in Romsey recorded for BBC Radio Solent.

On today's bulletin, neither Portsmouth or Southampton got a look in for news.
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406

I think that even when the Oxford sub-opt still existed, the Buckinghamshire part of the region generally was lucky to get a mention ever. I was expecting it to get even less acknowledgement now, so am happy to have been proved wrong so soon after the amalgamation.

I was quite a regular South Today viewer when I lived in southern Hampshire beween 2008 and 2012, and it always seemed that West Sussex news stories were about as rare as unicorn poo.

A football match involving Milton Keynes Dons being mentioned during the sports roundup appeared to be the only story from the "Oxford" part of the region on tonight's programme.
[-] The following 2 users Like Former Member 406's post:
  • Superman1986, tvchris

The regional news on Breakfast today is a combined South and South East programme. The weather map only covered the South East.