Royal Announcement At 6pm

This is a nice compilation of how the UK channels 'broke' the news on Friday
[ *** Automated Edit : This link is blocked. Please refer to rule 30 *** ]

Oh, well that's a shame as it is very nicely done. Don't know the history behind that YouTube channel
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Brekkie

(23-03-2024, 02:20 PM)News Engineer Wrote:  No, because they’d rather the announcement was done carefully, accurately and calmly, without favouring any one news organisation. A relatively short embargo allows for this. It’s a well established practice and even today works fairly well. The alternative would be worse.

It’s not about them giving time for broadcasters to be live outside Buckingham Palace. There was just about enough time for them to do that yesterday, but if there hadn't been they’d have just done that a bit later.

It does a bit, but given broadcasters and others had the video a little while in advance I was surprised no actual details leaked.

As you say it's a well established system that relies on maturity and trust. I was told the news (and content) at 1715 but I didn't blab about it on the internet.
[-] The following 8 users Like Bluecortina's post:
  • AJB39, BBI45, chevron, Jayesyn, News Engineer, thePineapple, TVFan, UTVLifer

The American Media doesn’t use Embargoes as much as the British media does in general. For TMZ for example - Entertainment news in the UK is often Embargoed but in the USA it’s not as common and a lot more things are just announced out of the blue or leaked.

(24-03-2024, 10:32 AM)Bluecortina Wrote:  As you say it's a well established system that relies on maturity and trust. I was told the news (and content) at 1715 but I didn't blab about it on the internet.
And those who do find out beforehand do so because they need to, they'll all be too busy rewriting their running orders, making phone calls and editing video to start posting stuff on social media
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • News Engineer, UTVLifer