Sky News

Really was a missed opportunity to do something more interesting with the space than just supersized screens.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice

Jonathan Samuels has pictures on his LinkedIn of Sky’s local election rehearsals. It’s as you’d expect - from the updated Millbank set with the Westminster backdrop.
[-] The following 4 users Like all new phil's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice, Michael 18, UTVLifer

Does anyone know why the live feed on the Sky News website has become so rubbish in recent weeks?

The problems started for me when they replaced the international feed which had the skynews.com overlay with the UK feed. The picture is constantly pixelating and going blurry which makes the ticker and graphics impossible to read and randomly it will stop all together and buffer. I never had these problems before they made this change.

I have started to watch Sky News on YouTube now but then of course you have the joy of an advert kicking in randomly during a press conference or report but at least its of watchable and readable quality on there

(27-04-2024, 08:34 PM)Richard H Wrote:  Does anyone know why the live feed on the Sky News website has become so rubbish in recent weeks?

The problems started for me when they replaced the international feed which had the skynews.com overlay with the UK feed. The picture is constantly pixelating and going blurry which makes the ticker and graphics impossible to read and randomly it will stop all together and buffer. I never had these problems before they made this change.

I have started to watch Sky News on YouTube now but then of course you have the joy of an advert kicking in randomly during a press conference or report but at least its of watchable and readable quality on there

I never see an advert on the Sky News YouTube feed and it runs in our office (via a Raspberry Pi) all day.

They replaced the YouTube feed in January (the link changed, I had to reprogramme the internal website we use to view it) and it now doesn't carry any subtitles, which is a shame.
[-] The following 3 users Like bbctvtechop's post:
  • chrisherald, harryb, Richard H

(28-04-2024, 10:16 AM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  I never see an advert on the Sky News YouTube feed and it runs in our office (via a Raspberry Pi) all day.

They replaced the YouTube feed in January (the link changed, I had to reprogramme the internal website we use to view it) and it now doesn't carry any subtitles, which is a shame.

I’ve seen adverts come up in the last few minutes of the hour (usually when the weather globe or promos are running) but never during actual news content.
[-] The following 1 user Likes harryb's post:
  • Richard H

(28-04-2024, 01:01 PM)harryb Wrote:  I’ve seen adverts come up in the last few minutes of the hour (usually when the weather globe or promos are running) but never during actual news content.

Yeh same. Sky must be sending an insert adverts command to Youtube whenever their playout software goes into a break, quite clever.
[-] The following 1 user Likes aaron_scotland's post:
  • Richard H

If subscribe to YouTube premium you don’t see adverts before or during videos, does that apply to the live feeds too?

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 

(28-04-2024, 01:29 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  Yeh same. Sky must be sending an insert adverts command to Youtube whenever their playout software goes into a break, quite clever.

Sky are quite good for YouTube ads. Whenever I watch any of the adverts from their F1 YouTube channel, the YouTube ads are usually the Sky F1 sponsrship sting from Workday. Everything else usually gives me generic ads, nothing that specific.

(28-04-2024, 01:53 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  If subscribe to YouTube premium you don’t see adverts before or during videos, does that apply to the live feeds too?

I subscribe to YouTube Premium here in the US and never see ads on the Sky News stream. Just lots of filler content and weather maps.

(28-04-2024, 01:29 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  Yeh same. Sky must be sending an insert adverts command to Youtube whenever their playout software goes into a break, quite clever.

Ah, I've seen those and assumed they were just part of the broadcast feed.

Clever.