Sky News

Can I ask why Sky insist on continuing to call the Sarah-Jane Mee Show (which sounds much more like the name of a chat show than a news slot anyway) such when she's away? It is so jarring when another presenter stands in (as Nick Quraishi did today) and introduces 'The Sarah-Jane Mee Show with me, Nick Quraishi'. It's stupid enough when American newscasts do it, without ours following suit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kojak's post:
  • Andrew Wood

I agree. I really don't understand why Sky go with presenter names for their daytime programming. It's not as if those presenters are hosting shows that are personality driven. They are just delivering news. There are probably more days when there is a different presenter to the show name, as consistency on Sky News has all but vanished over the last couple of years.

If they insist on naming slots after presenters, the sensible thing is to go down the BBC World News 2010 route of the 'x with y' formula, so that they can shorten it to simply 'x' (or even change it to 'x with z') when the named presenter isn't available. I.e., have a brand the programme can fall back on when the presenter is absent.

'The x Show' formula can only really work with things like weekly programmes where there are built-in holiday breaks, e.g. The Andrew Marr Show, where there is little chance of the named presenter being absent (barring exceptional circumstances). It doesn't really work for daily, year-round programmes as presenters are semi-frequently off - which, again and again, leads to these awkward situations. You'd think the broadcasters would learn, particularly after the whole Victoria Derbyshire with Joanna Gosling situation a few years back, but they seem determined not to.

Slight set refresh on Kay Burley’s show this morning.

[-] The following 3 users Like axxmm's post:
  • bkman1990, fusionlad, Gibsy

(07-11-2022, 08:30 AM)axxmm Wrote:  Slight set refresh on Kay Burley’s show this morning.

The first thing that caught my eye when I saw that image was: how on earth did that sofa leave the factory in that state? It looks incomplete with that gaping hole between the pres part of it and guest section. 

More of an eyesore than a refresh.

(07-11-2022, 08:30 AM)axxmm Wrote:  Slight set refresh on Kay Burley’s show this morning.
That's definitely a backwards step.  The previous desk with the LED front panel was suitable for any programme. 

The new desk and coffee table look as if they were rescued from a skip outside the back of B&Q. Confused

I think the sofa is the same as before, it's just the pres part just to be next the desk, so they didn't bother with the random backless corner section.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • Newsroom, UTVLifer

13 channel logos on-screen at once may be a record, even for Sky News.

There was a time when seeing even two sets of BBC blocks on screen at the same time was post-worthy on sites like this.

It still looks like a reception area or waiting room.
[-] The following 3 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • Newsroom, Stuart, UTVLifer

Well looks like I'm going against the grain then. I thought it looked quite good with the lights built into the desk and the shots chosen for each interview.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fusionlad's post:
  • all new phil

(07-11-2022, 06:53 PM)fusionlad Wrote:  Well looks like I'm going against the grain then. I thought it looked quite good with the lights built into the desk and the shots chosen for each interview.

I agree. Looks pretty good to me.