Sky News

(26-08-2022, 11:22 PM)Pips2022 Wrote:  Really finding the Sky Paper Review quite tiresome now in how it allows contributors to bang on and on. It commands too much airtime now, especially after 11pm. Like with the BBC version, we spend a lot of time looking into someone’s spare room. GB News/talkTV have much higher production values!

I don't care much for the Press Previews anymore, either. My problem with them is that a lot of the guests seem to be booked to start a row, rather than provide any useful insight. I get why they do them - because they're a very cheap and easy way to fill airtime - but I think in this highly polarised age, they have run their course.

But if Sky must persist with them, it would be good to see them have guests back in the studio where possible.

(27-08-2022, 10:02 PM)Kojak Wrote:  I don't care much for the Press Previews anymore, either. My problem with them is that a lot of the guests seem to be booked to start a row, rather than provide any useful insight. I get why they do them - because they're a very cheap and easy way to fill airtime - but I think in this highly polarised age, they have run their course.

Unfortunately this is the way of a lot of current affairs programming these days - booking producers prize being able to get confrontational clips for social media over any meaningful conversation. It's why the same people are always booked - why go with an unknown quanitity or the person who cares about nuance when you can book the predictable columnist who can be relied upon to start the viral argument. Question Time does it and Politics Live was explicitly created for this purpose.

More broadly, there is increasingly no real justification for paper reviews anyway. Promoting your competitors is weird enough, there is, after all, nobody looking at the headlines of the ITV News. But newspapers are no longer a mass medium and some of the papers have so little circulation that it's free advertising well beyond their means.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • Kojak

(28-08-2022, 12:55 PM)DTV Wrote:  More broadly, there is increasingly no real justification for paper reviews anyway. Promoting your competitors is weird enough, there is, after all, nobody looking at the headlines of the ITV News. But newspapers are no longer a mass medium and some of the papers have so little circulation that it's free advertising well beyond their means.

There would be little point in reviewing ITV (or BBC) News. However, newspapers don't just report news, they express varying opinions on the same subject, which is the point of discussion, rather than just the news story itself.

Tonight’s News Review on Sky News is happening in a thunderstorm and deluge of rain on Downing Street. Anna Botting and the Sky News team are doing very well to keep broadcasting in very difficult conditions.
[-] The following 2 users Like AJB39's post:
  • fusionlad, Gibsy

Complete with a 'sky NEWS HD' umbrella

Trevor Phillips presenting tonight. I don’t think he’s presented ‘straight’ news before has he?

(15-09-2022, 09:49 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Trevor Phillips presenting tonight. I don’t think he’s presented ‘straight’ news before has he?

He's presented over the last few days actually from 9pm-10pm. Apart from the time he covered Sophy Ridge and present The Great Debate and Common Ground then I can't think of any normal news shifts he has done since being at Sky, although the programme he has been doing has been a special highlights show and not a news hour like show.

Hadn’t realised that TG24 in Italy have adopted the Sky News graphics almost entirely.

You can watch on their website (not sure if this just for the election):
tg24.sky.it 

(26-09-2022, 12:36 AM)all new phil Wrote:  Hadn’t realised that TG24 in Italy have adopted the Sky News graphics almost entirely.

You can watch on their website (not sure if this just for the election):
tg24.sky.it 

The first video in this compilation is from when they announced the death of the Queen:

youtu.be 

No really presentation related but the YouTube stream geoblock has been lifted in the UAE. It’s been in place for about 2 hours now.