Sky News

Glass box looks fab for The UK Tonight.
[-] The following 5 users Like all new phil's post:
  • bkman1990, freeaxe, Gibsy, SB678, UTVLifer

A bit of lighting has done wonders for the Hospital corridor they insist on using as a backdrop. Should keep it that way.
[-] The following 2 users Like freeaxe's post:
  • Stuart, UTVLifer

Horrible to watch The UK Tonight on TV of any decent screen size.

Everything is far too zoomed in and the three way lives especially.

It feels like a show designed for Mobile Phones
[-] The following 1 user Likes EasternEagle's post:
  • Stockland Hillman

My main issue with the new slate of programming from a pres perspective is the insistence on only using the Sky News music.. even stripping Trevor Phillips of the former Sophy Ridge on Sunday theme. It's so repetitive, and despite all of the effort with the new programme strands - it's makes it all feel as if it's just the same old Sky News.
[-] The following 5 users Like JK08's post:
  • Jeff, mouseboy33, PatrZDZ, Stuart, UTVLifer

(03-10-2023, 08:37 AM)JK08 Wrote:  My main issue with the new slate of programming from a pres perspective is the insistence on only using the Sky News music.. even stripping Trevor Phillips of the former Sophy Ridge on Sunday theme. It's so repetitive, and despite all of the effort with the new programme strands - it's makes it all feel as if it's just the same old Sky News.
The Sophy Ridge on Sunday theme was utterly awful though.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • cando, mouseboy33

It baffles me that after all these years they’ve finally lit the area outside the glass box up to the point where it actually looks very nice yet they now insist on using the same single shot with the presenter plonked in front of the big screen with the same image on for most of the hour.
[-] The following 12 users Like Will's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Gibsy, Jayesyn, Jeff, JJJJ, London Lite, Michael 18, Pips2022, SB678, Stuart, UTVLifer

Well there are things to like about the UK Tonight. Following the lines of the UK flag, the opening animations is strong and not as wishy washy as the other shows. I like the use of the box with SJM and the b-roll in the larger box. That seems to be a new prominent feature on this programme. This is a regularly used on CNN, MSNBC and other US news channels. I havent seen it used as regularly on SkyNews before or this much persay. This livens up the screen a bit. They need to dump that music, its literally the worst theme IMO. Its so boring and repetitive.

As far at the glass cube goes. Yes it looks soo much better. But its almost infuriating. it makes you wonder why they dumped the blue,white and red scheme from the nearly 20 years of their sets featuring those colours. Then to settle on the creamy bland "hospital corridor" view. In my opinion they need to take it one step further. they should wrap both those corners in video walls. They could even go the cheaper low-res route since it would be out of focus anyway. But that will give them a great deal of flexibility. They could change up the looks depending on the programme thats on air. They needed to do something. Though Im afraid they will probably revert back to the previous "mental institution corridor" look  during the dayside hours.

Imagining something like this on each side.
[Image: reso-2.jpeg]
KPRC - 2 Houston has an outside corner screen on their set.

[Image: project_KPRC5.png]

WJXT - 4 Jacksonville FL as well.
[Image: wjxt-new-set-news-4-jax.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like mouseboy33's post:
  • Neon Pig, Stuart

(03-10-2023, 10:23 PM)Will Wrote:  It baffles me that after all these years they’ve finally lit the area outside the glass box up to the point where it actually looks very nice yet they now insist on using the same single shot with the presenter plonked in front of the big screen with the same image on for most of the hour.
Indeed, it's an odd decision. They've very slowly improved coloured lighting around the area over the years. Now they've done it properly, they've gone for using a fixed camera head shot within the set which makes them look like GBNews. Confused
[-] The following 5 users Like Stuart's post:
  • mouseboy33, South, thePineapple, UTVLifer, Will

I think even if there were money considerations...here is an idea. take the video ribbon from the exterior underside of the Cube and repurpose it and split it in half. Put 2 sections wrapped around each corner on either corridor. Above and below the ribbon cover the wall in the colour changing LED panels, with the video ribbon cutting thru the middle. (They already had those oddly placed squares there already) And when there is breaking news, turn just the video ribbon yellow at the same time as the screen graphics using the swipe upward revealing the yellow colour. With the BREAKING NEWS words scrolling across the screen. It would be slightly out of focus in the background. In regular mode the, programmes individual graphics would be really slowly moving in the background, so as not to be distracting. It will appear as though the video is going the entire length of that wall, behind the big video wall and out the other side. Maybe cover the length of the video ribbon with a slightly frosted panel if it proves to be too much.

Visual interest. Because it needed something. The lighting is cool and but it kinda feels stop-gappy. But its an improvement nontheless. Having it on the bottom outside of the cube where is only seen for a couple of seconds....eh. Replace it with a internally lit duratrans of repeated SkyNews logos or just show it out of frame or something.

I wish they would put a video ribbon in the news room on the wall behind the DTL position. Maybe that video ribbon ticker can be a signature look that ties all the on camera positions together? I think it would look cool. After all the BBC has its video ribbon above the newsroom. Just a thought.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mouseboy33's post:
  • Stuart

Will be interesting to see if Sophy Ridge makes her show tonight!

x.com 
[-] The following 6 users Like TMD_24's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Stuart, thePineapple, Toby brown, UTVLifer