Thread Closed

2024 Local Elections

(05-05-2024, 02:31 PM)AaronTV Wrote:  Some of the criticism aimed at Laura K here is rather silly and over the top, in line with much of the commentary around her.

In terms of speculation, every broadcaster was guilty of this and it helped to fill a nice gap for media outlets between results on Friday night and Saturday afternoon when everything became a little dead.

If there are rumours/speculation of a particular angle, that should be reported sensibly - with a strong caveat that it is a rumour. It is how the basis of most reporting works - you cannot praise the method when it gets you scoops early, but lambast it the handful of times it is incorrect. The suggestions that outlets should not report informed ‘speculation’ is ridiculous - the news business is a competition and always has been.

As for speculating before any votes have been counted, it’s clear that those commenting here have no understanding whatsoever of the verification process and how this is used at counting centres to give an early indication. I would recommend reading up on this before being quite so confident in your criticisms…

I'm not sure any of this is accurate I'm afraid. No one's really been over the top in this thread, no other high profile mainstream broadcaster tweeted, as she did, rumour as fact without caveat or attribution ('it is clear...'), and in any case Khan finished ten points ahead so the post was just wrong. Stephen Bush of the FT did a brilliant job of reporting detailed turnout and verification numbers and applying his analysis to that.

(05-05-2024, 02:31 PM)newsjunkie Wrote:  If you want to see who is the new favourites at Sky, just look at their peak time line up. They will be faces of the election.
Sophie Ridge/Mark Austin/Sarah-Jane Mee.

Agree with that. I reckon it'll be the exact same line-up complete with Ed Conway doing the numbers/analysis, SJM presumably somewhere in the north getting reaction.
[-] The following 2 users Like Luc's post:
  • chrisherald, strollfan

(05-05-2024, 05:18 PM)Luc Wrote:  I'm not sure any of this is accurate I'm afraid. No one's really been over the top in this thread, no other high profile mainstream broadcaster tweeted, as she did, rumour as fact without caveat or attribution ('it is clear...'), and in any case Khan finished ten points ahead so the post was just wrong. Stephen Bush of the FT did a brilliant job of reporting detailed turnout and verification numbers and applying his analysis to that.

You can disagree with the substance of what I am saying, but your view on the matter is no more ‘accurate’ than mine. It’s subjective.

If my perception is that people suggesting Laura may not host the General Election result coverage any longer because of a particular Tweet is over the top, and that the singling out of one broadcaster is irrational, I am perfectly entitled to believe that. You are equally entitled to believe that is a rational thing to suggest.

You are also welcome to get bogged down over whether over broadcasters Tweeted similar wording or not, but the reality is that every media outlet indulged in similar speculation, so the principle is really the same. A Sky News anchor may not have Tweeted the same wording as Laura, but on Friday evening their coverage was certainly speculating that Khan could face a shock loss. It’s the same thing.
[-] The following 2 users Like AaronTV's post:
  • cando, interestednovice

(10-03-2024, 09:10 PM)TheGregmeister Wrote:  So what was the point of Louis and Sharon putting three of the other housemates in a supposed "danger zone" if they're all going to do a normal set of nominations a few nights later anyway? Other than the reunion of two former X-Factor judges , it seems a bit somewhat rather pointless over all ... to me at least.

(04-05-2024, 08:07 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Sky have always shined with election coverage.

The problem the BBC has is they've basically covered this election on TV at least in a similar manner to how they've covered local elections in the past with seemingly little concession to the expectation that Saturday would be as important as Thursday night results wise.

I do wonder if it becomes an ego thing in terms of creative production - trying to emulate the excitement of a big overnight election night production - when it really doesn't warrant it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alessi's post:
  • chrisherald

Since were not heading for election "soon" is there enough time from the BBC to do a spit and posh with it election presentation? It just felt so drab and boring over the weekend. Surly a mini refresh would do wonders.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Milkshake's post:
  • chrisherald

(06-05-2024, 11:53 AM)Milkshake Wrote:  Since were not heading for election "soon" is there enough time from the BBC to do a spit and posh with it election presentation? It just felt so drab and boring over the weekend. Surly a mini refresh would do wonders.

That's based on the current rumours flowing around Westminster... not something to take as concrete.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bilky asko's post:
  • UTVLifer

(06-05-2024, 11:57 AM)bilky asko Wrote:  That's based on the current rumours flowing around Westminster... not something to take as concrete.

That by n by but surly the BBC could take a look at the presentation, its just so off putting when you compare it to sky. That is a shock of a turn around.

(06-05-2024, 11:53 AM)Milkshake Wrote:  Since were not heading for election "soon" is there enough time from the BBC to do a spit and posh with it election presentation? It just felt so drab and boring over the weekend. Surly a mini refresh would do wonders.

I think we have to separate what we had over the weekend compared to Thurs night.

GE coverage will be as top notch as BBC News can produce these days.
[-] The following 1 user Likes freeview87's post:
  • interestednovice

(06-05-2024, 12:46 PM)freeview87 Wrote:  GE coverage will be as top notch as BBC News can produce these days.
I think that is what worries people.
[-] The following 6 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • aaron_scotland, AndrewP, DTV, itsrobert, Jayesyn, UTVLifer

Not sure where to put this so I'll put it here.

I accept that the chances of a summer or early July general election are now very slim, although it's still not an impossibility. A GE for 4 July or 11 July could still be called by the end of this month if things continue to get worse for the Prime Minister (more Tory MPs detecting etc)

So IF an early July election were to be called by the end of May, would that force the BBC and ITV to prioritise their main news bulletins over the Euros football and Wimbledon? Eg. Making sure that the News at 6/6:30 and 10 always aired in full at 6/6:30 & 10 with Wimbledon and/or the football moved to BBC 2 & 3 or ITV 2 & 3 instead so not to clash with the news?

An early July election would be a nightmare for schedulers, with both the Euros and Wimbledon being on during the first two weeks of July.

I don't think so as they ultimately serve the viewer first and live sport will always take priority. It does add some complications perhaps around the Party Election Broadcasts as you could end up with some following a high rated Euros match and I would guess there are stricter rules on ensuring they air in primetime than the news bulletins.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • UTVLifer
Thread Closed