2024 Local Elections

Presumably Leeds are doing the network timeshift and the Ten overran screwing up the automated switches?

(17-04-2024, 11:05 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Wouldn’t be surprised if the Manchester debate has the better production as well as the better slot.

Tonight’s Liverpool debate is a basic looking affair coming from the old Open Space at Radio Merseyside (once used as a temporary set by NWT in the lead up to the 2007 rebrand)

Infact, it’s very much like ‘Radio Merseyside on telly’ - it’s being chaired by their long-standing political correspondent, Claire Hamilton (the debate also went out on RM at midday)

The West Yorkshire debate was broadcast as live as an OB from Halifax

The cameras they use mustn’t be network quality though as when there is any sort of movement the picture goes jerky like the frame rate isn’t right

In regards to the time shift, it was the regular Leeds ‘announcer’ who did the intro into the Eddie the Eagle film

It looked like it was interlaced/field removed but synced to the 'wrong' field - lots of jitter. It seems to happen a lot with quick turnaround edits

(17-04-2024, 10:00 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  By rights Yorkshire should also take the East Midlands debate as Chesterfield is part of their patch

Quite large chunks of Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire are (including where I am). But neither the BBC or ITV have ever truly cottoned onto that.

(18-04-2024, 09:19 AM)agemame Wrote:  It looked like it was interlaced/field removed but synced to the 'wrong' field - lots of jitter. It seems to happen a lot with quick turnaround edits

You mean they got the fields the wrong way round? I've seen that happen a fair bit (and has happened sometimes when I've captured video, I have to swap them round again).

Exactly that - I've been working with/cleaning up a lot of interlaced PAL video lately, and it's surprisingly easy to start with the fields inverted, and not really see it on progressive scan setups until it's too late. Leeds live OBs have been running field removed for some time now, I presumed it was a compression/bandwidth thing but this seems to be a step beyond that.

Far too many issues happen with interlacing these days anyway, really is incredibly awkward to work with in the digital world, definitely a relic of another time. As well as the swapped fields, you also often get things de-interlaced when they shouldn't be (UKTV, I'm looking at you!) and other sorts of artifacts like the mouse teeth/banding. Really interlacing is something that should have been moved on from by now... UHD is entirely progressive, but it's a long way from being standard. I think some broadcasters in other countries are using 1080p50/60, and quite a few have always been using 720p since HD began, like Fox and ABC in the US, (though I think much of the programming is still made 1080i and converted), and there was the time several Australian channels used 576p50 and rather midleadingly claimed it as "HD", but interlacing is still heavily ingrained.

I've been using 1080p50 for my filming projects for the last few years, and it's fair to say it's a hell of a lot easier to work with than 1080i!

In the past Leeds have used Bradford Uni's HD scanner to produce this kind of thing

(18-04-2024, 09:19 AM)agemame Wrote:  It looked like it was interlaced/field removed but synced to the 'wrong' field - lots of jitter. It seems to happen a lot with quick turnaround edits

Had a quick look at it on the iplayer, its astonishing that made it to air. Isn't the point of a line up before hand to notice and fix things like this.

Far too often these things don't get noticed these days! When you look at what's been going on with a certain broadcaster for well over a year and they still deny there's a problem, it's barely suprising something like this is slipping through. It seems as long as a picture gets through that's good enough for a lot of people whatever state it's in.
[-] The following 3 users Like James2001's post:
  • interestednovice, Stuart, UTVLifer

(19-04-2024, 12:08 AM)James2001 Wrote:  Far too often these things don't get noticed these days! When you look at what's been going on with a certain broadcaster for well over a year and they still deny there's a problem, it's barely suprising something like this is slipping through. It seems as long as a picture gets through that's good enough for a lot of people whatever state it's in.

You can blame mobile phones. Any type of picture will do. I remember over 20 years ago footage a friend sent to a newsroom not being accepted because there wasn't enough light in the shot. Now it would be almost cinematic in nature.
[-] The following 3 users Like chinamug's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, Stuart