Central Front-cap Oddity

I remember when Shine On Harvey Moon was repeated a few years back, all but the last episode of the first series had ATV frontcaps and endcaps (the final episode was Central), I'm guessing they were replaced with Central ones on the original broadcast.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • Si-Co

Series 2 of auf pet is a treat with the central logo forming a roulette ball as part of the titles

(22-04-2024, 09:33 AM)mccanmat Wrote:  Series 2 of auf pet is a treat with the central logo forming a roulette ball as part of the titles

Central did something similar with the later Blockbusters titles, though the significance of starting on the globe was lost when they stopped using front caps a couple of years later.

There's no doubt other examples.

Yorkshire's usually still chevron animated into 3-2-1's titles.

Yorkshire were notorious for getting the Chevron into everything. The First Tuesday titles animated it in a similar way to 3-2-1..

I think Jokers Wild was an early example from memory, or was it just the trophy had it very prominently?

It animated into the titles on Rising Damp as well.

Plus Yorkshire kept putting their frontcap on programmes until the 1989 generic ident came in, even if they no longer appeared on the network. They've appeared on repeats and DVDs of shows from 1988 and 1989 like Emmerdale Farm, The New Statesman, A Bit of a Do and Home To Roost (the last series of which has the liquid gold frontcap at the start, but the 1989 generic endcap at the end!). There was the animated 21 years endcap which was on the 1989 Emmerdale Farm episode that was put on ITVX back in 2022 as well (still hoping for a proper repeat of the Emmerdale Farm era at some point as well..).
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • Si-Co

(23-04-2024, 01:34 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Yorkshire were notorious for getting the Chevron into everything. The First Tuesday titles animated it in a similar way to 3-2-1..

I think Jokers Wild was an early example from memory, or was it just the trophy had it very prominently?

In First Tuesday's case, the ident jingle segued into the sig theme - far more subtle animation than 3-2-1, of course.

www.youtube.com 

Don't recall it animating on the (very basic) Rising Damp titles and it certainly didn't appear in Jokers Wild's titles (you're thinking about the trophy)

Around the mid 80s, Calendar also worked the chevron into the titles in a very prominent way.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • Stuart

And of course the Chevron was prominent on the pen holder in front of Richard Whiteley on Countdown and you could argue the old set (and current teapot) have echos of it
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • lookoutwales

I don’t think any footage exists, but I remember in the 70s children’s series Under The Same Sun the chevron morphed into the Sun. It was the first time I’d seen anything like this and I always found it fascinating!

THE NEXT POST FOLLOWS SHORTLY…

I always found it curious that as a region with a rather staid, static ident through the 70s and most of the 80s, Yorkshire seemed more keen than any other to do fancy stuff to integrate their symbol into title sequences.

I wonder if it was a reaction from YTV’s designers, envious of so many other regions with more exciting idents, trying to inject a little bit of interest in their own way.