Odd intro to 1981 BBC 1 Ident.

(22-04-2024, 07:52 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Incidently here's a clip of the room it was in and the noddy camera... so called presumably because it nodded!

As long as you don't use the "NODD" acronym that someone on the blue place invented, and somehow spread throught the internet as fact! Took years to get that one debunked and untangled.
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • AndrewP, Stooky Bill

(22-04-2024, 07:54 PM)James2001 Wrote:  As long as you don't use the "NODD" acronym that someone on the blue place invented, and somehow spread throught the internet as fact! Took years to get that one debunked and untangled.
Indeed hence I deliberately spelt it 'Noddy' without capitalising it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Stuart

In fairness I think TV Ark used the NODD rubbish long before the blue place existed.

My thought was that this could be the colour synthesiser (the "Cox box") being tweaked on air for some reason?

(22-04-2024, 05:58 PM)AndrewP Wrote:  Was the globe kept running 24/7 or was it turned off during closedown/programmes?

It was a long time ago, my wife who used to be a Pres Op in BBC presentation recalls that the lights on the model were switched on and off as and when it was going to be used.

I wonder if this rather odd sequence was mimicking something in the titles of the next programme? Not a programme I ever watched so I cannot answer my own question.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bluecortina's post:
  • AndrewP, Jonny, Nige, Stuart

That makes sense, we see the headlights on the camera switching on and off as it moves, it seems quite reasonable to expect the same logic to be able to turn the model (motion and lights) on and off as required. I think Noddy was left parked on a temporary fault caption a lot of the time so it would not have been permanently running

Weren't there lots of extra "islands" on the globe caused by paint peeling because of the heat of the bulb? Imagine what it would get like if it was left on all the time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • Stuart

Something rings a bell, there’s a Tomorrows world clip from around the same time with Kieran Prendeville? where he has a DVE BBC1 globe he is playing with in the studio and controlling it with a joystick. IIRC it’s the same shade of flat yellow as this.

(23-04-2024, 09:14 PM)IndigoTucker Wrote:  Something rings a bell, there’s a Tomorrows world clip from around the same time with Kieran Prendeville? where he has a DVE BBC1 globe he is playing with in the studio and controlling it with a joystick. IIRC it’s the same shade of flat yellow as this.
Peter Macann was the presenter. As if by magic, here is the clip.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • Si-Co

Talking about the BBC 1 mirror globe, here's an interview with the man who designed it, who explains why it looks like it does:

www.ravensbourne.ac.uk 
[-] The following 6 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AndrewP, Rxtx, Si-Co, SlugTV, Spencer, Stuart