Regional ITV company promos

(17-04-2023, 11:43 PM)W. Knight Wrote:  Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but I think this is kind of relevent: An Anglia News promo circa 92-93, judging by the bus tour at the middle.
twitter.com 
The slow background track really reminds me of the Channel 5 News open in Family Guy Big Grin

That's the theme to Home and Away!
[-] The following 2 users Like Ballinagrappa's post:
  • IndigoTucker, W. Knight

I mentioned Tyne tees advertising on buses. This is what I'm on about!    
[-] The following 2 users Like robertclark125's post:
  • Si-Co, W. Knight

Slightly OT here, but this morning I caught the end of 'Family Fortunes' before the start of GMB at 06:00.

Apparently this is an endcap from 2020, but I'd never seen it before. It's actually rather nice, and had an animation effect and a reflection, which was rather cool and nostalgic of their former regional identity. Tongue
[Image: Thames-2020.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • Brekkie

That's been in use since 2018, and is a big improvement over their previous logo which was a big purple orb with a big t and smaller hames in it in mismatched fonts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • Stuart

(19-04-2023, 04:09 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Slightly OT here, but this morning I caught the end of 'Family Fortunes' before the start of GMB at 06:00.

Apparently this is an endcap from 2020, but I'd never seen it before. It's actually rather nice, and had an animation effect and a reflection, which was rather cool and nostalgic of their former regional identity. Tongue
[Image: Thames-2020.jpg]

Going slightly even more OTer on this and sorry for asking what is a stupid question.
How did Fremantle end up with the Thames name? Just that I can't seem to draw a direct line from the old ITV company to Fremantle. Sorry to ask.

Thames (still a public company at that point) was bought by Pearson in 1993, and Pearson then merged its TV side with CLT/UFA in 2001, which became RTL, with Fremantle (Media) as its production arm. Pearson’s remaining share in RTL was later bought by Bertelsmann.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • AaronLancs

Essentially it was Fremantle/RTL who chose to revive the Thames name properly for all its UK productions, prior to its merger with Talkback. Andrew Wiseman’s 625 website had an article about this, and Thames was chosen as the brand was the most recognised after the BBC and Granada.

You have to remember in 2000/1, whilst Thames was still making programmes the name was being seen less and less in favour of Pearson Television, especially on older repeats where the Thames branding was removed, but that soon changed.

The gold logo was introduced in 2018 for Thames’s 50th anniversary.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nwtv2003's post:
  • AaronLancs

Did the Thames name ever truly disappear though? I do remember the late 1990s logo with “Thames - A Pearson Television Company” with the once proud logo reduced to just Tower Bridge, but was there any period when it was just Pearson TV, with no sign of Thames? If there was I think it may have been very brief.

(19-04-2023, 10:51 PM)Rdd Wrote:  Thames (still a public company at that point) was bought by Pearson in 1993, and Pearson then merged its TV side with CLT/UFA in 2001, which became RTL, with Fremantle (Media) as its production arm. Pearson’s remaining share in RTL was later bought by Bertelsmann.

I don't think Thames was ever a public company. Didn't it's private owners Thorn EMI and BET sell it to Pearson?

(20-04-2023, 08:42 AM)Rdd Wrote:  Did the Thames name ever truly disappear though? I do remember the late 1990s logo with “Thames - A Pearson Television Company” with the once proud logo reduced to just Tower Bridge, but was there any period when it was just Pearson TV, with no sign of Thames? If there was I think it may have been very brief.

IIRC that endcap came with the launch of Channel 5, of which Pearson was a major shareholder and made a vast chunk of the new programming.