Regional ITV company promos

In fact, Granada must've assumed those generic idents were cancelled outright, considering that on the same day the generics launched they also launched a whole set of idents for Yorkshire which was relegated to local usage along with Tyne Tees's 1998 ident. There was also plans for a new Granada ident with a new logo, which was scrapped. I assume Tyne Tees's 2000 logo was part of those plans too - they didn't even update the generic package to use it, which frankly was inexcusable once they edited it to add the ITV1 logo in 2001.

(05-05-2023, 01:41 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  In fact, Granada must've assumed those generic idents were cancelled outright, considering that on the same day the generics launched they also launched a whole set of idents for Yorkshire which was relegated to local usage along with Tyne Tees's 1998 ident. There was also plans for a new Granada ident with a new logo, which was scrapped. I assume Tyne Tees's 2000 logo was part of those plans too - they didn't even update the generic package to use it, which frankly was inexcusable once they edited it to add the ITV1 logo in 2001.
At least GMG regions did get something new - the same couldn't be said for UNM! (Yes, I know Meridian technically was updated, but come on Dodgy )
youtu.be 
youtu.be 

These seemed like a last-minute job even more than Granada's, especially for Anglia. I think internal fights among different groups could've been possible that led to the botched launch of the new ITV - but we still can't be sure, 25 years later Big Grin

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt

(05-05-2023, 01:41 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  In fact, Granada must've assumed those generic idents were cancelled outright, considering that on the same day the generics launched they also launched a whole set of idents for Yorkshire which was relegated to local usage along with Tyne Tees's 1998 ident. There was also plans for a new Granada ident with a new logo, which was scrapped. I assume Tyne Tees's 2000 logo was part of those plans too - they didn't even update the generic package to use it, which frankly was inexcusable once they edited it to add the ITV1 logo in 2001.

I’m sure the local idents for Yorkshire you’re referring to didn’t launch until late 1999. I think a lot of the designs including the unused ones were designed in house from Yorkshire, unlike the network packages. From what we’ve seen online of what could’ve been, I think Granada were attempting a uniform level of branding for their regions, which never fully materialised.

(05-05-2023, 10:05 AM)Spencer Wrote:  
(05-05-2023, 09:19 AM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  It was definitely Monday 5 October 1998,  on the Sunday we still had the IT\= logo and the following day we had the blue and yellow lower case logo. By this time whilst there were no generic idents, the vast majority of promos in between programmes were network ones, and the change was very noticeable. (As would have been the case on Granada, Carlton and UNM regions) The Production for IT\= end caps were dropped immediately from this date.

Of course there should have been generic idents from that date, but they were pulled at the last minute and eventually heavily reworked into what most regions got just over a year later.

In the words of the old t|v|a (TV Archive) site: "As with everything, you have to try, try and try again before something becomes right. Unfortunately ITV missed this concept and tried, got it right, then tried again... and subsequently delivered blue spinning hearts".

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 4 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • Former Member 406, insert_good_username_here, Spencer, Tvarchive

(05-05-2023, 09:19 AM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  It was definitely Monday 5 October 1998,  on the Sunday we still had the IT\= logo and the following day we had the blue and yellow lower case logo. By this time whilst there were no generic idents, the vast majority of promos in between programmes were network ones, and the change was very noticeable. (As would have been the case on Granada, Carlton and UNM regions) The Production for IT\= end caps were dropped immediately from this date.

There was a generic ident, although by this time the only place you'd see it was Grampian and possibly Border.

EDIT: and of course the night time one, which persisted for a few extra nights/weeks overnight.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

VMPhil Wrote:
Spencer Wrote:Of course there should have been generic idents from that date, but they were pulled at the last minute and eventually heavily reworked into what most regions got just over a year later.

In the words of the old t|v|a (TV Archive) site: "As with everything, you have to try, try and try again before something becomes right. Unfortunately ITV missed this concept and tried, got it right, then tried again... and subsequently delivered blue spinning hearts".
Yes, it was a shame. What should have been a great ident package became something very much ‘designed by committee’.

(08-05-2023, 04:40 PM)Spencer Wrote:  
VMPhil Wrote:In the words of the old t|v|a (TV Archive) site: "As with everything, you have to try, try and try again before something becomes right. Unfortunately ITV missed this concept and tried, got it right, then tried again... and subsequently delivered blue spinning hearts".
Yes, it was a shame. What should have been a great ident package became something very much ‘designed by committee’.
I was never a fan of the 1998 hearts. They were okay, but in my opinion, nothing special. I definitely agree that they were better than the final product, though! What an anodyne, bland package that was.

They were quite boring. Carlton had it right with their exceptional hearts/star combo and imho what the rest of the network should have gotten.

That being said, the EM&P personality idents weren't that bad, I didn't think - I honestly feel any attempt at generic/masterbrand type branding would face opposition at that time - almost as if people knew what was coming and wanted to resist it.

One thing I never understood was the ITV logo from 1998, it was not a very strong logo at all (then again the 2006 logo was equally as bland) - at least the IT\= logo made out a '3' in the V shape - the 1998 ITV logo always struck me as a kneejerk to the clean BBC logo that launched a year prior.

Regarding my previous post, I wasn't calling into question anyone's memory - but making the point that we all lived in different regions and therefore saw a fundamentally different channel in each one, so how can we be certain it was actually launched that day, did anyone launch it early or late for instance? When did Central/Carlton change their ITV ident to the new logo?
[-] The following 2 users Like Mike's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, Kojak

(08-05-2023, 09:56 PM)Mike Wrote:  One thing I never understood was the ITV logo from 1998, it was not a very strong logo at all (then again the 2006 logo was equally as bland) - at least the IT\= logo made out a '3' in the V shape - the 1998 ITV logo always struck me as a kneejerk to the clean BBC logo that launched a year prior.
I guess the 1998 logo was easy to recreate in teletext. The 2006 logo certainly uniformed the channels and the 1998 font was not aging gracefully at that point.

Mike Wrote:at least the IT\= logo made out a '3' in the V shape -
You’ve just made me think I’ve been missing something obvious for the past 34 years.

But looking at the logo now, I’m not seeing it. If the V had two horizontal lines to create a 3 shape around them, maybe. But I think you might be seeing things (unless I’m being thick)!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • insert_good_username_here