The Big Breakfast Discussion

I remember reading on the blue place or on YouTube that Johnny and Denise's first moments on air in September 1997 featured them doing some kind of magic act at the start of their first show?

(08-03-2024, 04:36 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I liked they were different but still fitted the show.

Though there is the question of what some of the things in there have to do with breakfast. But I guess there's more breakfast related things going on in the titles than the previous ones with Elvis and Morris dancing!

Looking back i don’t think those theme music and titles were that bad

As we’d moved into the new millennium the 90s style with the flying breakfast objects etc probably did need a revamp
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • fanoftv

(08-03-2024, 08:35 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Though there is the question of what some of the things in there have to do with breakfast. But I guess there's more breakfast related things going on in the titles than the previous ones with Elvis and Morris dancing!

The Elvis and Morris dancing where related to the show itself rather than the concept of breakfast.

In my opinion the 2001 rebrand was brilliant and should have been the way to take the show forwards. I’d argue that it took away some silliness whilst keeping the loose style that the show was known for. I echo what was said earlier about Donna, even in that clip with Richard she tries to talk over him. I don’t understand why they got rid of Paul so soon either, I thought he worked quite well.

Did Melanie Sykes ever appear in the house after the 2001 revamp - she was billed as one of the five hosts along with Richard and the main trio but think she only did the Oscars. Was quite odd really she returned as part of that as I think she'd been away from the show for well over a year.

Lisa Rogers became a more prominent part of the team over the last year or so - she had started guest hosting in the final year or so of Johnny's tenure but was overlooked for the 2001 relaunch, although I think she might have worked quite well with Paul. Of the guest and semi-regular hosts over the last couple of years she was probably the best.

I remember the build up to Johnny Vaughan starting full time on the show. Channel 4 ran a "Guess who's coming to breakfast?" trailer to promote it. (Sure I've seen it on YouTube somewhere.) It featured the (soulless) white house, whilst Johnny's first full time show saw the introduction of the yellow house. His first week featured the truncated opening titles from June/July 1997, with the longer titles used for most of his time on the show launching the following week.

(09-03-2024, 01:05 PM)Otis Crump Wrote:  I remember the build up to Johnny Vaughan starting full time on the show. Channel 4 ran a "Guess who's coming to breakfast?" trailer to promote it. (Sure I've seen it on YouTube somewhere.) It featured the (soulless) white house, whilst Johnny's first full time show saw the introduction of the yellow house. His first week featured the truncated opening titles from June/July 1997, with the longer titles used for most of his time on the show launching the following week.

I remember seeing this trailer on YouTube which seems to have disappeared from there now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JasonB's post:
  • Otis Crump

I seem to remember reading the reason the clock on the 2001 revamp was animated (with the blocks moving and changing colour) was so it didn't burn into the plasma screen in the house. Not that said screen lasted very long- as can be seen on that video they were back to a CRT by April.

(09-03-2024, 03:00 PM)JasonB Wrote:  I remember seeing this trailer on YouTube which seems to have disappeared from there now.

Just had a dig around and found it...
www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Otis Crump's post:
  • Brekkie, Flux, JasonB