The Big Breakfast Discussion

New Years Eve from 2001 has just appeared on Screen Ocean. Unlike others, the text on the end credits are visible and are using the flyout from 1998-2001 rather than the montage of the different looks of the house they were using throughout the year.

licensing.screenocean.com 

Is the first show after they found out they'd be axed online - think they had six months notice IIRC.

(12-03-2024, 06:41 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Is the first show after they found out they'd be axed online - think they had six months notice IIRC.

There are other episodes from the final 6 months on there- they have an episode from the wednesday of the final week up there, plus, bizarrely, a random 15 minute segment of the final edition (that still has the clock on, I think the only edition on Screenocean that does):

Looking at that new year's 2001 edition, it looks like a pre-record, as there's no clock on any of the screens around the house which was the usual giveaway when it wasn't live, and would explain why all the graphics are there as well, and also the TX date being on the VT clocks- which also isn't usually the case, and probably also why the curtains are closed.

And speaking of graphics, this one from 2000 is a bit strange, the captions and end credits aren't there for most of the show, but the text is there on the rundown just after 8AM:

Always looks strange on those screenocean recordings that the sunburst animation during the rundown is still there, but the text superimposed on isn't, they must have been added at different parts of the chain. I remember noticing this when Liza Tarbuck did Room 101 and they showed a clip from her on the show and it included the textless graphic-less sunburst.

Christmas Eve was usually the last live show of the year, with Christmas Day to New Year's Day usually pre-recorded. I think the very first Christmas Day edition might have been live though.

(11-03-2024, 12:32 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I seem to remember reading the reason the clock on the 2001 revamp was animated (with the blocks moving and changing colour) was so it didn't burn into the plasma screen in the house. Not that said screen lasted very long- as can be seen on that video they were back to a CRT by April.

Interesting, however, didn’t the double b logo remain static on the screen for quite a lot of the time? Either way, it was very cool, especially when fast forwarding a VHS recording at the time.

(12-03-2024, 11:10 PM)fanoftv Wrote:  Interesting, however, didn’t the double b logo remain static on the screen for quite a lot of the time?

Looking at the videos, I don't think that DOG appeared on the screens in the house (though admittedly it's not the easist to tell on heavily compressed videos of VHS recordings).

(13-03-2024, 12:09 AM)James2001 Wrote:  Looking at the videos, I don't think that DOG appeared on the screens in the house (though admittedly it's not the easist to tell on heavily compressed videos of VHS recordings).

Sorry, I meant the show logo that appeared as different colours on different days on the plasmas.

Oh right, yes! I guess as that wasn't on the screens all the time and there was often something else showing, there was less of a risk of burn in than there was from the clock.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • fanoftv

(12-03-2024, 09:18 PM)James2001 Wrote:  There are other episodes from the final 6 months on there- they have an episode from the wednesday of the final week up there, plus, bizarrely, a random 15 minute segment of the final edition (that still has the clock on, I think the only edition on Screenocean that does):

I think this bit was cut out as it was the part with the look back on the show with past presenter interviews/best bits. It was packaged like a 20-30 documentary and had an ad break in the middle if I recall correctly.

And speaking of the clock, seems interesting that the original clock lasted nearly 5 years, but after that they never seemed to be able to go more than a few months without tinkering with it.