The Big Breakfast Discussion

Was the same with the overall graphics and look. Other than updating the logo animation in the break sting and I think changing the Question about the Clip backdrop nothing changed graphics wise in those first four years.

It was the same with the decor - I think the main living room only changed once or twice in the first era of the show, then from the 1996 revamp onwards there were 7 different looks in 5.5 years.

(13-03-2024, 12:40 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Was the same with the overall graphics and look. Other than updating the logo animation in the break sting and I think changing the Question about the Clip backdrop nothing changed graphics wise in those first four years.

It was the same with the decor - I think the main living room only changed once or twice in the first era of the show, then from the 1996 revamp onwards there were 7 different looks in 5.5 years.

The first change to the living room was January 1995 when Gaby Roslin had a month off, then in the 1996 revamp.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Otis Crump's post:
  • Brekkie

(13-03-2024, 01:30 PM)Otis Crump Wrote:  The first change to the living room was January 1995 when Gaby Roslin had a month off, then in the 1996 revamp.

How long after this did the living room change? Was it already done on the first show live back in 1995?

www.youtube.com 

Nice little backstage tour here (from 11:10 in - click on the player's counter to toggle.) It fills in for the lack of a Family of the Week.
licensing.screenocean.com 

(13-03-2024, 01:38 PM)JasonB Wrote:  How long after this did the living room change? Was it already done on the first show live back in 1995?

www.youtube.com 

Yes, first live show of 1995. I think Amanda de Cadanet might have been co-hosting for two weeks, followed by a fortnight of Julia Carling.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Otis Crump's post:
  • MorganLamia

Looks like that wouldn't have been long after the Planet 24 building opened and they got a proper gallery, rather than using an OB unit parked outside the house- I think I've seen a video before of Chris going into said OB unit. Mark even mentions that it's all new, and they haven't even taken the sign down from the old cateen which they've turned into a green roo,.

(13-03-2024, 07:59 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Looks like that wouldn't have been long after the Planet 24 building opened and they got a proper gallery, rather than using an OB unit parked outside the house- I think I've seen a video before of Chris going into said OB unit. Mark even mentions that it's all new, and they haven't even taken the sign down from the old cateen which they've turned into a green roo,.

Chris goes in to the truck here at 02:25. This is from 1993:
www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JasonB's post:
  • Otis Crump

I guess if the new Planet 24 building behind the house opened around early 1996 that might have been part of the motivation for the house revamp later that year, opening up the third of the house previously mainly used for production to become available to use within the show itself.

(15-03-2024, 12:38 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I guess if the new Planet 24 building behind the house opened around early 1996 that might have been part of the motivation for the house revamp later that year, opening up the third of the house previously mainly used for production to become available to use within the show itself.

So does anyone know what the Planet building behind the house was used for before 1996 then?

Also, which parts of the house were used for production before the 1996 revamp? The only "unseen" areas I can think of were the room on the left hand side of the house, connected to the living room, that led to the phone room; plus the area behind the boudoir and (what ultimately became) Zig and Zag's room.

Still on the theme of "unseen" areas, I remember in 1994 (I think Chris Evans' final Tuesday), Chris showed a little kitchen that I don't think had been seen before. If you were looking at the rear French windows from the back garden, it was to the right of those with an identical (singular?) French window leading into it.

(15-03-2024, 01:50 PM)Otis Crump Wrote:  Still on the theme of "unseen" areas, I remember in 1994 (I think Chris Evans' final Tuesday), Chris showed a little kitchen that I don't think had been seen before. If you were looking at the rear French windows from the back garden, it was to the right of those with an identical (singular?) French window leading into it.

You can see the doorway (v. briefly and a bit grainy) at 4:41 here: www.youtube.com 

I don't think it was there before 1996, I think it was newly built.

(15-03-2024, 02:14 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I don't think it was there before 1996, I think it was newly built.

Planet 24 may have not always been in that building prior to 1996 but it was always behind the house.

There was another now vanished video from YouTube where Chris does a similar tour to what Mark does of the back stage area (pre Planet 24 building) All of the porter cabins behind the toilet building had numbers which Chris says "why they're all numbered like this, i have no idea"
[-] The following 1 user Likes JasonB's post:
  • Otis Crump