The Big Breakfast Discussion

The news does give The Big Breakfast a bit of PSB value though, potentially reaching an audience who wouldn't otherwise be consuming news on a Saturday morning
[-] The following 1 user Likes excel99's post:
  • Scrotnig

Plus it’s always been a key part of the show. I’m really pleased they’ve kept news bulletins and in particular brought back the great Phil Gayle.

Boring fact: I first heard of Phil Gayle when he was presenting a late night show on Signal Radio in Stoke on Trent in the late eighties. He was brilliant at that too. Don’t think he was there all that long.

(13-08-2022, 08:36 PM)excel99 Wrote:  The news does give The Big Breakfast a bit of PSB value though, potentially reaching an audience who wouldn't otherwise be consuming news on a Saturday morning

If people aren't consuming news at 10am on a Saturday  morning I think it's safe to say it's probably because they don't want to.

It’s an integral part of the show, you couldn’t not have it.

That it is somewhat incongruous is part of the attraction. To a degree it always was.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scrotnig's post:
  • Andrew Wood

Reinventing the BB as a Saturday morning magazine show works pretty well.

I wish they would bring back the clipboards for the presenters' scripts. AJ in particular has a tendency to stare straight down the barrel reading autocue a little too much, particularly obvious at certain points where she is supposed to be talking to somebody on set. If you look at imperial phase BB with Johnny and Denise it's much more conversational and barely acknowledging the camera at times.

Incidentally, one missing element is the name badges for guests. And I daresay Chris Moyles will have something to say about the "Who are ya" feature!

(14-08-2022, 01:46 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  It’s an integral part of the show, you couldn’t not have it.

That it is somewhat incongruous is part of the attraction. To a degree it always was.

It was integral 30 years ago when the show was an actual weekday breakfast show. In 2022 the news bullitens add nothing and are just a waste of time on a Saturday mid morning show.

Do we know where Phil was doing the news from? I assume his day job with DW is based in Germany, so could he have been down the line from there?

(14-08-2022, 09:30 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  
(14-08-2022, 01:46 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  It’s an integral part of the show, you couldn’t not have it.

It was integral 30 years ago when the show was an actual weekday breakfast show. In 2022 the news bullitens add nothing and are just a waste of time on a Saturday mid morning show.

It boils down to….what are they trying to do?

Are they trying to recreate The Big Breakfast from the 90s, for a modern audience, but on Saturday mornings? If so, they need the news.

If on the other hand they are trying to create a brand new show that just has some elements of the original and trades off the name, then no they don’t need the news.

To me the show feels like the former.

I think it's the former, crossed with Saturday morning kids shows. So as Swapshop and Saturday Superstore both had John Craven doing mini Newsround sections I think that's fair enough.

Would be nice to have the weather in those bulletins, and maybe a couple more news items that can be switched in and out so each bulletin was slightly different - recognising that in this new timeslot people are more likely to watch the whole thing rather than to drop in and out as they get ready to leave the house.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Scrotnig

I agree about the story swapping. I was all for the news to be part of it, but after the third time I was sick of hearing the same headlines.

I feel an approach that 60 seconds used to take on BBC Three would work where some of the bulletins through the show concentrated on different news such as entertainment or sport, speaking of which, I’m surprised that there wasn’t more of an emphasis on sports news with it being the weekend.

I also agree on the clipboards point as the autocue reading looked very obvious in parts, I suppose that’s a skill that honed presenters make seamless.

Overall it was a great start to the run, it’s a shame that as the on air and behind the scenes teams start to find their feet the run will be over.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fanoftv's post:
  • Steve in Pudsey