The Big Breakfast Discussion

Mo Gilligan is a guest on tomorrow’s Packed Lunch with Johnny and Denise… I wonder if he’ll be announcing a return this Summer? Or at least discussing the future of the show?

I just think given C4's current woes it seems unlikely they'd commission something new for a slot they generally fill with repeats. The only way perhaps the numbers might add up for them is if they run it instead of Sunday Brunch over the summer, which wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.
[-] The following 6 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • DeMarkay, Flux, iloveTV1, strollfan, TJTSW, UTVLifer

Full marks to the Packed Lunch for using the theme from the right era for their intro. Even bought back More Tea Vicar. Felt a bit wrong for them not to throw to Phil Gayle for the news after the coming up sequence though.

(EDIT: Phil makes an appearance later)
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • DeMarkay, fanoftv, JHarper_2022, PWD

It all feels more Big Breakfast than Packed Lunch today though- the shows have 2 different identities.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gary Baldy's post:
  • DeMarkay

No mention of the reincarnated version returning - just a lot of talk about how it should and be on weekdays serving it's original purpose as an alternative to, as Mo put it, "start the day with vibes".

The 90s nostalgia also highlighting how much stronger C4 were in primetime too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Gary Baldy

Haven’t seen the whole thing yet but from the 10 minutes or so that I saw it defiantly felt like an audition.
If it's ever going to happen the best place for them imo would be 5pm. Someone needs to have another crack at the 5pm chat show again. There must be enough people by now who are bored of Pointless and The Chase to make it viable?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy

(13-06-2023, 08:52 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  Haven’t seen the whole thing yet but from the 10 minutes or so that I saw it defiantly felt like an audition.
If it's ever going to happen the best place for them imo would be 5pm. Someone needs to have another crack at the 5pm chat show again. There must be enough people by now who are bored of Pointless and The Chase to make it viable?
Perhaps they’ll do a Channel 5 and extend Packed Lunch until 6pm.

(13-06-2023, 08:52 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  Haven’t seen the whole thing yet but from the 10 minutes or so that I saw it defiantly felt like an audition.

Absolutely - was thinking the other day they could do with something perhaps a bit more in the Paul O'Grady rather than Richard and Judy vibe in the slot as an alternative - just not convinced that in the current climate they'd have two live daytime shows.

Could be something that works in the weeks Packed Lunch is off air though, especially over the summer when The Chase and Pointless are on repeats, although of course there is a smaller audience available than over the winter.

I'll be brutally honest and admit I didn't find Johnny that great on Packed Lunch - he mainly just seemed to be talking over everybody constantly - maybe just a side effect of him mainly being a radio presenter these days so used to doing a lot of talking!

Denise was good but not really a surprise as she is a regular and often covers for Steph anyway

(14-06-2023, 01:25 AM)Johnr Wrote:  I'll be brutally honest and admit I didn't find Johnny that great on Packed Lunch - he mainly just seemed to be talking over everybody constantly - maybe just a side effect of him mainly being a radio presenter these days so used to doing a lot of talking!

Denise was good but not really a surprise as she is a regular and often covers for Steph anyway

He is better suited to radio, I think even he has said that.