Dave Presentation

The idents take a little getting used to, as the do the bumpers, but I’m sure they’ll soon settle. The only thing I don’t like is that the Dave theme which has been in use from Day 1 of the channel has gone. I think the theme is what made the shorter idents from the previous set quite recognisable.
[-] The following 3 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • benzj, DeMarkay, fanoftv

Personally, I'm not that impressed with Dave's new look. Like many in here, I took quite a liking to the particularly quirky style of Dave's previous looks. As much as the qualm of them being somewhat "blokey" or masculine is valid, it still exhibited a level of character and creativity rarely seen done so memorably in television branding.

Even regardless of whether you compare it to Dave's previous looks, the new Dave branding leaves a lot to be desired. The "add a bit of Dave" concept is a strong idea, but it's poorly executed in the idents -- I couldn't help but think of the execution as a more direct, quippier version of E4's 2013-2018 ident package. I feel the new execution of the logo and the new typeface was welcome and refreshing, but the rest of the presentation design feels unfocused. The instant-messaging "typing..." ellipsis, simplistic styling and backgrounds, and relatable-if-dull break bumpers feel achingly generic, and could be tied to any number of channels, including, perhaps damningly, siblings Gold and W, as others have mentioned. Through this rebrand, Dave feels confused in terms of channel direction. Is it looking to skew younger, to pick fights with the likes of E4? Is it doubling down as a comedy outlet, at which point it perhaps ironically looks more like a revival of UKTV G2? Even if Dave's staying where they are in terms of positioning, the new package is achingly weak, in my eyes, and doesn't speak to what so many viewers have come to enjoy about the channel over the years.

Arguably, it could be said that the outgoing 2014 package was a better conceptual execution of the "add a bit of Dave" idea, and I'm almost certain there are more clever ways to extend that into the rest of the presentation.

Exploring the world of television on YouTube  |  benzj.tk
[-] The following 2 users Like benzj's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, Roger Darthwell

(10-11-2022, 01:40 AM)benzj Wrote:  Personally, I'm not that impressed with Dave's new look. Like many in here, I took quite a liking to the particularly quirky style of Dave's previous looks. As much as the qualm of them being somewhat "blokey" or masculine is valid, it still exhibited a level of character and creativity rarely seen done so memorably in television branding.

Even regardless of whether you compare it to Dave's previous looks, the new Dave branding leaves a lot to be desired. The "add a bit of Dave" concept is a strong idea, but it's poorly executed in the idents -- I couldn't help but think of the execution as a more direct, quippier version of E4's 2013-2018 ident package. I feel the new execution of the logo and the new typeface was welcome and refreshing, but the rest of the presentation design feels unfocused. The instant-messaging "typing..." ellipsis, simplistic styling and backgrounds, and relatable-if-dull break bumpers feel achingly generic, and could be tied to any number of channels, including, perhaps damningly, siblings Gold and W, as others have mentioned. Through this rebrand, Dave feels confused in terms of channel direction. Is it looking to skew younger, to pick fights with the likes of E4? Is it doubling down as a comedy outlet, at which point it perhaps ironically looks more like a revival of UKTV G2? Even if Dave's staying where they are in terms of positioning, the new package is achingly weak, in my eyes, and doesn't speak to what so many viewers have come to enjoy about the channel over the years.

Arguably, it could be said that the outgoing 2014 package was a better conceptual execution of the "add a bit of Dave" idea, and I'm almost certain there are more clever ways to extend that into the rest of the presentation.

I feel that the break bumpers are the most interesting part of the design, as well as the menus and ECP. Contrarily to you, I actually like the brand design here, and this is coming from somebody who liked the more previous design. I feel this is supposed to invoke a more The Russell Howard Hour-type of design,shown by the fonts, and use of boxes. It, like the last one, definitely shows a lot of simple, clean humor. Additionally, I think the channel is skewering through more younger males with its identity, not just older ones.

"Please stand by for further details, as we return you now to your regularly scheduled program. Hopefully."

I personally like it, it's as creative as it gets

I feel some people aren't going to like changes, anyway

(10-11-2022, 01:40 AM)benzj Wrote:  <snip>
Unfortunately, that was 'old' Dave. And that isn't really reflective of current Dave and the direction they want to go in. So that era of quirky-ness was a hangover that needed to go. It wasn't done lightly, there's been research

The changes will take some getting used to, but the old look didn't gel well with commissions like Big Zuu's Big Eats.
[-] The following 2 users Like dbl's post:
  • benzj, Superman1986

I’m gutted they got rid of the old theme music

The new package does look better in motion, especially the break bumper animations which have a 2017 Sky One feel to them. Still not 100% convinced on whether the personality is there - moving past the old-blokey-pub vibe was a natural and necessary move but I wish the new look had a little more... bite, I guess?
[-] The following 4 users Like Lynetwork's post:
  • benzj, Happy2001, Superman1986, Underscore_

Considering this repositioning of Dave's marketing and presentation approach, I'm surprised (but quite happy) to see that Davestation is still going!

[Image: tig96x96.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Andrew Wood's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, Happy2001

CW: Some strobe lights in some parts:
twitter.com 

You know what this look reminds me of? Play UK, barring the music obviously. I mean, sure, I guess there's argument to believe Dave is skewing much younger now with this look, but I think it is still the same channel nonetheless, more of a "24-36" crowd with some leeway for 16-24 year olds to enjoy.
youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Allanbuzzy's post:
  • TVFan

(10-11-2022, 02:15 PM)dbl Wrote:  
(10-11-2022, 01:40 AM)benzj Wrote:  <snip>
Unfortunately, that was 'old' Dave. And that isn't really reflective of current Dave and the direction they want to go in. So that era of quirky-ness was a hangover that needed to go. It wasn't done lightly, there's been research

The changes will take some getting used to, but the old look didn't gel well with commissions like Big Zuu's Big Eats.

I take it this has all been done to grab the new generation of 18 - 30 year old man. Of course most of 2014 viewers must be in the 30s now