The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

With this quite possibly being the final night of these graphics in use, I thought I'd share this video of the concpt of the European Qualifiers graphics. Quite a neat idea.

www.youtube.com 

Both BBC Scotland and BBC Northern Ireland used the Sportscene title intro to begin their coverage tonight, and both used the BBC Sport graphics in their pre-match coverage. Both used the UEFA RESPECT mic muffs that are used for friendlies matches.

For BBC Scotland, this is the standard set-up for their international highlights, where the world feed graphics are only seen during the programme when in the top left of the screen. BBC NI however usually take the world feed intro and graphics on their highlights.

Full coverage with a presnting team on Viaplay as well.

Not the result we wanted and an opportunity missed but nice to see S4C getting so much praise, including from broadcasters like Gabby Logan and Mark Pougatch, for their coverage.

Just about wrapped up in time for the highlights on BBC Wales.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • RhysJR

(26-03-2024, 11:38 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Not the result we wanted and an opportunity missed but nice to see S4C getting so much praise, including from broadcasters like Gabby Logan and Mark Pougatch, for their coverage.

MOTD pushed back to 11.35pm on BBC1 Wales - they stayed with network for the first of tonight's two episodes of The Dropout (the other is timeshifted till 12.05am)

The Sgorio / Rondo team do a fine job as host broadcasters - and after all the hell and high water of the past year under the former regime of Doyle / Williams, I hope S4C are rewarded with bumper ratings.

Alas, for post-mortem news coverage tomorrow, I suspect we'll be slipping back into a debate about Rob Page's future but I digress.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • RhysJR

(26-03-2024, 11:38 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Not the result we wanted and an opportunity missed but nice to see S4C getting so much praise, including from broadcasters like Gabby Logan and Mark Pougatch, for their coverage.

(27-03-2024, 12:35 AM)lookoutwales Wrote:  MOTD pushed back to 11.35pm on BBC1 Wales - they stayed with network for the first of tonight's two episodes of The Dropout (the other is timeshifted till 12.05am)

The Sgorio / Rondo team do a fine job as host broadcasters - and after all the hell and high water of the past year under the former regime of Doyle / Williams, I hope S4C are rewarded with bumper ratings.

Alas, for post-mortem news coverage tomorrow, I suspect we'll be slipping back into a debate about Rob Page's future but I digress.

The S4C coverage is a credit to the organisation, and deservedly got praise last night from non-regular watchers. Joe Allen a great addition to the team this week too. Do we know if S4C will be host broadcaster for the next campaign? I know they are subletting from Premier this time, but I think S4C/BBC Cymru Wales often produce the matches they show live from the URC, and I wouldn't be surprised if Premier would do likewise with the football (especially with their lesser effort for the Wales games).

To the post mortem, I don't think the football will require the coach to have a live grilling from Lauren Jenkins like what happened with the rugby on Scrum V 10 days ago.

Whilst not seen as widely due to the English FTA availability, S4C's international rugby has also been excellent this season, with Sarra Elgan deservedly nominated in the overall Presenter category at the RTS Cymru awards for the Rugby World Cup.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Brekkie

The 2027 European Games will happen and will take place in Istanbul, Turkey.

On the positive side, Istanbul has bid many times to host the Olympics, so a good chance for them to show what they can offer. No new venues will be bulit, but they have plenty of top stadia anyway. And Istanbul is a major European city and hub, unlike Kraków, Minsk or Baku before it. On the other hand, it is once again in an Eastern European nation - and not one that is often at the top of any medal tables. A unaminous vote (i.e. no other meaningful bids) doesn't inspire much confidence either. The issues that have seen less interest in previous editions has likely not been addressed as well.

www.eurolympic.org 

(26-03-2024, 07:00 PM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  And it was a poor night for BBC Sport overall as regards event presentation.

Better night for BBC Sport at the RTS Awards though, with Alex Scott winning the award for Sports Presenter, Commentator or Pundit for the Women's World Cup, and BBC NI's All Ireland Senior Football Championship coverage winning for best Sports Programme.

rts.org.uk 

Istanbul should at least put on a show more comparable to Baku - they'll want to show they can hold such an event.

Changes coming from next season to Ligue 1: new logo, new sponsor (a fast food chain) and new theme music:

twitter.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Medianext.MX's post:
  • RhysJR

(27-03-2024, 04:43 PM)Medianext.MX Wrote:  Changes coming from next season to Ligue 1: new logo, new sponsor (a fast food chain) and new theme music:

twitter.com 

If Italia 1 launched in France...
Feels old-fashioned.
Plus, the old version was based on the trophy, like the prvious logo. So they have ditched that long running design feature.

And why do these sporting competitions keep changing their recognisable music? The Champions League theme is so revered partly because it has been around for 30 years.

youtu.be 
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • Brekkie, Medianext.MX

(26-03-2024, 08:58 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Both BBC Scotland and BBC Northern Ireland used the Sportscene title intro to begin their coverage tonight, and both used the BBC Sport graphics in their pre-match coverage. Both used the UEFA RESPECT mic muffs that are used for friendlies matches.
Though NI's was branded "Match of the Day Northern Ireland": www.bbc.co.uk 

Sportscene was simulcast on BBC Three, which is not something you see every day: www.bbc.co.uk