The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

(27-03-2024, 05:10 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  If Italia 1 launched in France...
Feels old-fashioned.
Plus, the old version was based on the trophy, like the prvious logo. So they have ditched that long running design feature.

And why do these sporting competitions keep changing their recognisable music? The Champions League theme is so revered partly because it has been around for 30 years.

youtu.be 

The old theme seems to have served since 2012/13 - it was never the greatest but I did have a soft spot for it.

In other news, Liberty Media are reported to be buying Dorna, and with it MotoGP:

news.sky.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like thegeek's post:
  • bkman1990, Medianext.MX, RhysJR

I haven't watched much DAZN coverage of the Women's Champions League this season, but I am finding it a bit dissappointing that an English team in a Champions League quarter-final is only getting a solo commentator and no presentation. S4C have put in more on air effort for a Welsh women's league game this evening that has a view count in the hundreds on YouTube!

They have completely u-turned on restricting access to games by the looks of it. All of this week's game remain for free on the DAZN app and on YouTube.

First viewing figures for last night. Very strong for Channel 4 for a nothing friendly, good ratings for the BBC. S4C have said nothing yet.

x.com 

According to GB News Spin Room…

x.com 

If true, then surely an all-time record for S4C (certainly for the penalties)
[-] The following 2 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • bkman1990, RhysJR

Great figures for S4C.

The England contract has rated pretty well for C4 and creatively speaking looks to perform better for C4 than it did for ITV. It has been cited in some of the reports on C4's woes that C4 spent too big on it but I'd be surprised if it was not profitable.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, RhysJR

(27-03-2024, 11:18 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  According to GB News Spin Room…

x.com 

If true, then surely an all-time record for S4C (certainly for the penalties)

A fantastic number. For context, the S4C annual report says the most watched programme in 2022-23 was Belgium v. Wales in September 2022, with a "reach" of 456 000. The Ukraine play-off final, which was also on Sky Sports and ITV 1, had a "reach" of 160 000. So, unsurprisingly, with more limited English options, the number of eyes on S4C this time should completely smash that. The Austria play-off semi-final would be a more complete comparison (now FTA English coverage, on a weekday evening in March) and that received a "reach" of 391 000 - the highst "reach" on S4C in 2021-22.

EDIT: Definition of reach from th 21/22 report: "UK reach on a continuous 3 minute basis for any screening within 7 days of the first broadcast"

The top eight top rated programmes were all sport, and I doubt anyone will ever guess correctly what was ninth (answer in spoiler)...

1 Sgorio Rhyngwladol: Cynghrair y Cenhedloedd (Belgium v Wales) Sport 22/09/2022 456,000
2 Sgorio Rhyngwladol: Grwpiau Cwpan Ewrop (Croatia v Wales) Sport 25/03/2023 408,000
3 Cwpan FA: Coventry v Wrecsam Sport 07/01/2023 320,000
4 Rygbi Ewrop: Cwpan Pencampwyr Ewrop (Leicester v Ospreys) Sport 20/01/2023 195,000
5 Cwpan Y Byd 2022 (Wales v USA) Sport 21/11/2022 188,000
6 Clwb Rygbi: Pencampwriaeth Unedig Rygbi (Ospreys v Leinster) Sport 07/01/2023 186,000
7 Clwb Rygbi Rhyngwladol Dan 20 (Wales v Ireland) Sport 03/02/2023 184,000
8 Sgorio Rhyngwladol: Grwpiau Cwpan y Byd (Wales v Ukraine) Sport 05/06/2022 160,000
9 Patrôl Pawennau (Paw Patrol) Children 29/08/2022 137,000
10 Gogglebocs Cymru Entertainment 02/11/2022 135,000

The full top 25 on page 30
adroddiad.s4c.cymru 

(28-03-2024, 12:29 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Great figures for S4C.

The England contract has rated pretty well for C4 and creatively speaking looks to perform better for C4 than it did for ITV. It has been cited in some of the reports on C4's woes that C4 spent too big on it but I'd be surprised if it was not profitable.

I'm not sure these figures are correct. Just looking at the overnights I have access to, and S4C appears to average about 220k (the programme schedule has not been amended for the overrun) and peaks at 276k.

That is still very impressive with a share of 44% at 2225. It does rather quickly drop off afterwards for fairly predictable reasons.
[-] The following 3 users Like newsjunkie's post:
  • Brekkie, lookoutwales, RhysJR

(28-03-2024, 02:06 AM)newsjunkie Wrote:  I'm not sure these figures are correct. Just looking at the overnights I have access to, and S4C appears to average about 220k (the programme schedule has not been amended for the overrun) and peaks at 276k.

That is still very impressive with a share of 44% at 2225. It does rather quickly drop off afterwards for fairly predictable reasons.

Hmmm. I did wonder where GBN Spin Room got their numbers from.

And S4C doesn't make clear whether they are referring to average / peak on those annual top 30 charts, either.

No denying the coverage on Tuesday garnered more attention than usual for a typical big S4C sports event but maybe it didn't translate into higher ratings that normal?

Apologies if I've jumped the gun.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • RhysJR

Any idea what sort of ratings Viaplay usually gets? I imagine both subscribers watched.

(28-03-2024, 09:37 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Any idea what sort of ratings Viaplay usually gets? I imagine both subscribers watched.

Apparently their rugby league matches in early 2022 were getting as high as 75 000, and getting 50 000 consistently. Which for a secondary competition on a minor channel is not too bad I would think (Channel 4 got similar numbers for their opener in 2023).

Apparently they have around 7 million subscribers in the UK. I'm struggling with that number - if every URC fan in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland subscribed that wouldn't hit that number.

www.seriousaboutrl.com 

www.loverugbyleague.com 

advanced-television.com 

More rugby league TV news, tonight's Super League game between Castleford and Leeds will be available for FREE on Super League+. York v. Toulouse from the Championship will be shown live on Super League+ on Sunday, the first Championship game to be televised anywhere this season. It will be a PPV game, albeit cheaper than any Super League game on the platform.

www.seriousaboutrl.com 

www.rugby-league.com +

Apparent five clubs rejected a TV deal for the Championship on Premier Sports, with the initial money 10 times less than last season. No deal is better than a bad deal?

www.seriousaboutrl.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Brekkie

(27-03-2024, 10:20 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  I haven't watched much DAZN coverage of the Women's Champions League this season, but I am finding it a bit dissappointing that an English team in a Champions League quarter-final is only getting a solo commentator and no presentation. S4C have put in more on air effort for a Welsh women's league game this evening that has a view count in the hundreds on YouTube!

They have completely u-turned on restricting access to games by the looks of it. All of this week's game remain for free on the DAZN app and on YouTube.

First viewing figures for last night. Very strong for Channel 4 for a nothing friendly, good ratings for the BBC. S4C have said nothing yet.

x.com 

I think DAZN said all knockouts will still be free.

Poor to only have one commentator. There were three on Radio 5 Live last night.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound47's post:
  • RhysJR