The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

I think we discussed this before, but I did no see a DOG on the Sky coverage of the Masters all week. I would have thought it was because of the graphics moving between the top corners, but I don't think they ever strayed off the top right. Sonit could be contractual, which would fit with the mystique and tradition of the event.

Also, I don't think Sky had any commercial-free Rolex Hour coverage this tournament. The piece of music going into and out of every ad break was getting a bit too familair by the end of tonight.

They did, I think it was the 8pm hour and oddly had “Rolex Hour” in the Masters logo font. The breaks are a lot shorter than normal PGA Tour coverage to be fair.

I don’t think they ever have a DOG for the Masters, I think we discussed it on this very thread last year and couldn’t decide whether it was contractual or because the graphics used all four corners of screen real estate. It would be just the sort of thing ANGC would require though, but ISTR eir Sport did have one when they showed it.

As for Sky’s coverage, it’s fantastic as usual (poor Henni Koyack seemed to draw the short straw and left behind doing pieces to camera back in Iselworth). I do miss Jim Nantz and that wonderfully haunting “Augusta” piano theme, which we used to get on eir Sport in Ireland which (when it existed) used to broadcast the world feed (essentially the CBS coverage topped and tailed slightly differently). You’d occasionally hear it on Sky slipping through when the leaderboard appeared, but that didn’t seem to happen this year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • RhysJR

IMG will be upgrading the broadcast of EFL games for next season. Each game will have more cameras, with the Championship having a minimum of six, League One four and League Two two (currently 4:1:1 minimum). There will also be and enhanced graphics and "improved features".
IMG will produce 1 698 games - all non-televised games in the UK (i.e. Saturday 3pm) and it looks all the bonus matches on Sky (866 of Sky's 1 059 games).

www.svgeurope.org 

iFollow and its equivalents will cease to exist in the UK (all games that can be broadcast will be shown via Sky) but it looks a like a similar operation to present will be the default in the rest of the world.

www.efl.com 

Quite the health scare for legendary commentator Martin Tyler, who allost list his voice and had to undergo surgery last year after discovering lesions on his vocal chords. Martin left Sky Sports at the end of last season, and he didn't commentate on the last few weeks of the season (likely related). Good to hear that he has made a near full recovery, and is regularly commentating for the Premier League and Champions League world feed (commentating last night and tonight in fact).

www.bbc.co.uk 

Do UEFA have an equivalent of Premier League Productions for the Champions League etc.?

Not as such - it's a different model. TEAM Marketing are the source of all the branding for the competition - both at the ground and on-screen, and are the source of all the on-screen collateral - plus there's a single graphics supplier who are on site at every game. They also specify quite strictly the make-up of the world feed, so that each of the rightsholders makes a consistent product.

The magazine and highlights programmes, world feed commentaries and instant highlights are contracted to Gravity Media in London, and distribution is handled by Eurovision Services.
[-] The following 3 users Like thegeek's post:
  • Brekkie, News Engineer, RhysJR

Motorsport Ireland have released a statement to say that one of the WRC stages will not come to Ireland for the 2025-27 calendar.

www.motorsportireland.com 

Ireland's Minister of Sport has cited inaccurate economic projections that had a lot of popular support backed for the proposal.

It's been one year since Craig Breen had his fatal accident doing practice in Rally Croatia. He died on the 13th of April 2023.

An auction to raise funds for the Craig Breen Foundation has been underway since 9am this morning. The online auction will last for one week until April 23rd. The money raised from the auction will be used to give grants to young rally drivers who are taking part in rallying competitions in Ireland. There will also be funding a special livery which will mark the 1 year passing of Craig Breen. It will be unveiled in Rally Croatia 2024.

waterford-news.ie 

(16-04-2024, 06:36 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Do UEFA have an equivalent of Premier League Productions for the Champions League etc.?

Aside from the similar Laliga TV, is there really any other equivalent “enhanced world feed” type production anywhere (ie, where the basic “whistle to whistle” world feed is supplemented with wrap-around and other studio programming intended for an international audience?)

(16-04-2024, 10:29 PM)Rdd Wrote:  Aside from the similar Laliga TV, is there really any other equivalent “enhanced world feed” type production anywhere (ie, where the basic “whistle to whistle” world feed is supplemented with wrap-around and other studio programming intended for an international audience?)

Not in football I don't think. In the other 'Big Five' leagues, it is just the world feed commentary, bar occasional extra live programmes like goals shows, and the weekly magazine and highlights shows. I know the Bundesliga/DFL Media sends an English language reporter to every game, with a few interviews heard in the 10 or so minutes after full time (DFL Media also produces the match feed for all Bundesliga/2. Bundesliga games).

SuperSport in Africa take the world weed commentary with the TNT Sports UK studio coverage for the UCL.

There are examples in other sports of course. Cricket a good comparison to football, with the likes of the ICC, BBCI and Cricket West Indies producing a full programme with punditry and commentary as the world feed. And plenty of other minor sports produce a rounded broadcast (LIV Golf one that comes to mind immediately), but then those are more likely to be taken by broadcasters than for top level football.

Whilst I mention the Bundesliga, a bit of history on the weekend with the title decided on a channel other than Sky Deutschland for the first time since they took the rights. This was by accident rather than design, with Leverkusen forced to play on Sunday (and consequently on DAZN) due to their Europa League involvement.

The domestic rights for the Bundesliga have gone to auction this week. It doesn't seem likely that there will be anyone wading in on the current holders of Sky and DAZN. Though the packages have been shuffled, so the status quo of Friday and Sundays on DAZN and Saturday and midweeks on Sky will not continue. A single winner will be allowed for the first time in a while, and their is scope for more FTA games (currently nine games a season on Sat.1 from the top tier, but there will be potential to sublet one per matchday).

I've seen DAZN get a bit of rightful critiscm recently for covering a lot of matches offtube - with often two of their three live games coming from Munich rather than the stadium. They have the majority of UCL games in the next cycle, but it's not a great reflection on their finances and aptitude.

On the subject of the UCL world feed, I watched the Dortmund v. Atletico match via the LiveScore Ireland app, which was the pure world feed broadcast. It didn't go off air until 22:50, so around an hour after the match! After sticking with the live pictures for five minutes after full time, they showed the highlights and then interviews from Movistar (in Spanish), Prime Video (in German) and TNT Sports (in English), before showing both managers' press conferences without translation.

Going back to European rugby, the current two year deal for the EPCR tournaments (with TNT Sport, RTE, ITV, and S4C) expires at the end of this season and according to this Guardian article, as of now there’s no deal for a replacement. Some (uncollabrated) suggestions online that TNT may be out or at least looking for better terms.

amp.theguardian.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Rdd's post:
  • bkman1990, RhysJR