The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

Is there no blackout in Germany then - I thought that was a UEFA thing?

(18-04-2024, 02:22 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Is there no blackout in Germany then - I thought that was a UEFA thing?

UEFA allow it for everyone but It’s only England and Scotland that request a blackout.

(18-04-2024, 02:22 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Is there no blackout in Germany then - I thought that was a UEFA thing?

It is a UEFA thing (Article 48 of the UEFA Statutes) but it is up to the individual associations to request it and the hours (which must be on Saturday or Sunday) they want it for - currently only England and Scotland do so, and I think the only other associations that have used it in recent times have been Northern Ireland and Montenegro.

(18-04-2024, 12:54 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  20 odd years ago though the Champions League had a second group stage which this new format is no longer than, so if they could have replays then no reason not to now.

There were two less knockout rounds in that format though, the second group stage effectively took the place of the round of 16, and the next round after it was the quarter finals. There is a further knockout play off round being introduced in this new format prior to the round of 16, and they are condensing the round of 16 (which at the moment takes place over four out of five weeks) to two weeks in order to accommodate that.

I think today’s mess’s also shows the FA are just bad at communication - something we saw when they announced the TNT deal.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound47's post:
  • RhysJR

It seems today's announcement was the first the Football League, National League and their clubs knew about it. Think the scrapping of 1st and 2nd round replays especially surprised them.

TV wise it surely sees the rights value fall, losing those few primetime midweek replays. Indeed as much as the 5th round should never have moved from the weekend the broadcasters got a couple more primetime games out of it, although with clashes they don't get at the weekend.

Rights wise the TNT deal is done, and raises the question was this known when it was done, but might explain why the FTA deal is yet yo be announced, not that I think the BBC would back out. Personally wouldn't mind seeing clubs boycotting but highly doubt that'll happen as I'm sure the FA will threaten them into submission.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Bungo Bill

Quite the bad week for English football and by extension for TNT Sports' bosses.

Four of the five English clubs in Europe this week were eliminated, with only Aston Villa surviving to the semi-finals. This has all but guaranteed that only four English teams will be in the Champions League next season, with it now looking unlikely Tottenham or Manchester United would qualify for the main competition (England had over 85% chance of acheiving the bonus place before last week incidentally). Results from last week also means Scotland will lose its automatic place in the UCL league phase for 2025/26.

twitter.com 

Also a bad week for the bosses at FIFA. The new Club World Cup's European qualifiers have been confirmed. Barcleona will miss out, but FC Salzburg do qualify! The two English entrants will be Manchester City and Chelsea, so another blow with the biggest draws in Liverpool and Manchester United not qualifying.
I wonder how much interest this will get from broadcasters. It will be post-season, so a quiet time for Sky and TNT on the football front, so likely one of them will pick it up if the price is right. It will reportedly be on the East coast of the US to be more suitable for European broadcasters. A week's overlap with the Women's Euros, and plenty of other sport like Wimbledon, would make any FTA interest minimal IMO. And, either way, it would be hard for anyone to drum up much interest in Seattle Sounders v. Chelsea at 1am on a Tuesday night in July.

twitter.com 

Leinster Rugby have confirmed to the media yesterday that all of their home games for the URC & The Investec Champions Cup will be played at the Aviva Stadium & GAA Headquarters in Croke Park in Dublin from next season.

www.rte.ie 

The RDS Arena is meant to be undergoing a redevelopment of The Anglesea Stand at a cost of €50 million. The details of the project are on the link below.

grimshaw.global 

A further statement by the FA regarding the changes to the FA Cup. In short, they say representatives from the entire pyramid were involved in meetings throughout the entire process, including final approval from the Professional Game Board, which has four representatives from the EFL as well as a fan and a National League representative. There will be more games broadcasted in the opening rounds, meaning more lower league teams will benefit from broadcast income then.

the-fa.com 

www.thefa.com 

As said up thread, poorly managed once again by the FA. But I do wonder, with the expanded European format happening nad here to stay for a while at least, what alternative did the FA have? Any replays would have likely had to take place on European matchdays, which would have meant a complete loss of media oxygen and possibly some teams being forced to field two teams on the same midweek - compmetely devaluing the competition.

A classic case of them saying they've listened and ignored you anyway. They seem to think the money justifies bending to the Premier League.

They seem to be making a big deal of no 4th round clashes with the Premier League but I thought that round was usually clear anyway, as indeed the 5th round has been midweek.

P.S. See the BBC app has now been updated with new look fixtures and tables, which had been used for League Two for a couple of weeks and now rolled out to the other English leagues.

The London Marathon will have less OBs across the route this year, with more reliance on 4G and LiveU connections. There will also be a drone camera used at the start and finish.

Kudos for correctly branded motorcycles on the headline picture.

www.svgeurope.org