The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

(19-04-2024, 01:50 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  The London Marathon will have less OBs across the route this year, with more reliance on 4G and LiveU connections. There will also be a drone camera used at the start and finish.

Kudos for correctly branded motorcycles on the headline picture.

www.svgeurope.org 

Some breakup throughout the marathon coverage when onboard the bikes. I'm not sure if it's significantly more than normal, certainly wouldn't raise too many eyebrows unless you were looking for it. No coverage inside the tunnels as expected.

Like the Boat Race coverage a few weeks back, it is noteworthy the lack of onscreen clutter throughout the race. Usually, there is only the clock and the semi-transparrent hashtag on the screen (the hashtag looks way outside of the safe area if the clock is anything to go by). Personally, it would be helpful to have a bit more info like showing which group is on screen and the gaps between them (I haven't been able to get commentary for most of it which would have covered that). But I'm not sure live timing is a thing for the broadcast, there's no immediate splits for example. That maybe rationalised due to the mass participation (I think there is timing for everyone on the app).

(21-04-2024, 11:42 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  Some breakup throughout the marathon coverage when onboard the bikes. I'm not sure if it's significantly more than normal, certainly wouldn't raise too many eyebrows unless you were looking for it. No coverage inside the tunnels as expected.

Like the Boat Race coverage a few weeks back, it is noteworthy the lack of onscreen clutter throughout the race. Usually, there is only the clock and the semi-transparrent hashtag on the screen (the hashtag looks way outside of the safe area if the clock is anything to go by). Personally, it would be helpful to have a bit more info like showing which group is on screen and the gaps between them (I haven't been able to get commentary for most of it which would have covered that). But I'm not sure live timing is a thing for the broadcast, there's no immediate splits for example. That maybe rationalised due to the mass participation (I think there is timing for everyone on the app).
They had a fixed camera inside the tunnel at Blackfires.

Most of the breakups occurred near bridges/heavy trees.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound47's post:
  • RhysJR

That hashtag is so horribly not lined up. Hate how BBC Sport use them and the font far too big, but makes sense for people to message about people in the mass participation event. Feel it would fit over or under the clock quite neatly and look much better.

If the BBC and TNT contract was on now would BBC have shown Manchester City V Chelsea or Manchester United V Coventry. Still find it very sad that both semi finals won't be on free to air in a couple of years time as have got used to it. But from what we have seen with the FA this week and the scrapping of replays they don't care about the fans and its all money to them.

Gateshead have been removed from the National League play-offs for failing to meet the EFL entry standards. Altrincham will receive a bye to the semi-finals, with no replacement being brought in. This will subsuquently mean one less match for TNT Sports. The National League had to issue two statements after originally incorrectly saying that Solihull received a bye.

www.thenationalleague.org.uk 

www.thenationalleague.org.uk 

Speaking of the National League any news if TNT will continue broadcasting it next season?

(21-04-2024, 03:30 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  If the BBC and TNT contract was on now would BBC have shown Manchester City V Chelsea or Manchester United V Coventry. Still find it very sad that both semi finals won't be on free to air in a couple of years time as have got used to it. But from what we have seen with the FA this week and the scrapping of replays they don't care about the fans and its all money to them.
Will feel a step back but to be fair both semi-finals have only been live on FTA TV 5 times in it's history, 4 of those in the last 4 seasons.

At least Simon Gregson doesn’t have to play Deal Or No Deal for the third time now
[-] The following 8 users Like Johnr's post:
  • Brekkie, callumwatchestelly, iloveTV1, Jeff, lookoutwales, Nobby, thomash79, TVFan

(21-04-2024, 04:59 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Will feel a step back but to be fair both semi-finals have only been live on FTA TV 5 times in it's history, 4 of those in the last 4 seasons.

Yeah, though I do hope the FA are watching this match and even yesterdays and have a rethink of the deal by having 2 FTA semi finals. To not have had this match available to millions of viewers would have been a disgrace I think

(21-04-2024, 06:44 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  Yeah, though I do hope the FA are watching this match and even yesterdays and have a rethink of the deal by having 2 FTA semi finals. To not have had this match available to millions of viewers would have been a disgrace I think

They can’t rethink. TNT have signed and paid. FA is not going to give their money back.

Through actually the BBC might well pick this type of match anyway - they will get kudos for picking lower leagues vs PL vs an all PL tie.