The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

La Liga's graphics for El Clasico are specialy fully black-and-white, with the orange-red of the logo lost to make them special. They look even worse.

x.com 

And it is not only the branding that makes me not take this league fully seriously...

x.com 

Most of next week's kick-off were moved on Friday - nine days notice at most. This all to move Real Madrid's match from Saturday to Friday. ITV 4 was scheduled to show Real Sociedad v. Real Madrid next Saturday, but have not yet changed their schedule to reflect the fixture changes.

getfootballnewsspain.com 

www.tvguide.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • Rdd, Ste

(21-04-2024, 04:59 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Will feel a step back but to be fair both semi-finals have only been live on FTA TV 5 times in it's history, 4 of those in the last 4 seasons.

By this time next year, both FA Cup Semi-Finals would have been live on FTA 7 times; 1990-1992 and 2022-2025.

Meanwhile in Scotland, the Scottish Cup Final between Celtic and Rangers will be the first time this game in this competition will be shown on free-to-air television for the first time since 2002.

(21-04-2024, 11:44 PM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  By this time next year, both FA Cup Semi-Finals would have been live on FTA 7 times; 1990-1992 and 2022-2025.

Meanwhile in Scotland, the Scottish Cup Final between Celtic and Rangers will be the first time this game in this competition will be shown on free-to-air television for the first time since 2002.

Shame the English and Scottish finals will likely clash. Neither kick-off officially confirmed yet, but last year's FA Cup final with the same finalists was moved to 15:00 because of the police, with an Old Firm final definitely not being a later kick-off. The Scottish Cup final might be moved to an early kick-off, but from what I can see, the last Old Firm last Scottish Cup final and the most recent Scottish League Cup finals between them were 15:00 kick-offs.
The Champions Cup rugby final will also be a 14:45 kick-off on the same day - very likely on ITV 4 now.

Will be very intersting how BBC Scotland square that circle, the FA Cup final will have to air on BBC Scotland I guess (and that looks silly on paper).
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Scratch_Perry

(21-04-2024, 08:39 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  La Liga's graphics for El Clasico are specialy fully black-and-white, with the orange-red of the logo lost to make them special. They look even worse.

x.com 

And it is not only the branding that makes me not take this league fully seriously...

x.com 

Most of next week's kick-off were moved on Friday - nine days notice at most. This all to move Real Madrid's match from Saturday to Friday. ITV 4 was scheduled to show Real Sociedad v. Real Madrid next Saturday, but have not yet changed their schedule to reflect the fixture changes.

getfootballnewsspain.com 

www.tvguide.co.uk 

I honestly can’t think of a competition that has done more to shoot itself in the foot than LaLiga, to be honest, although that has less to do with bad presentation and more to do with a string of terrible decisions regarding the UK TV rights, to think that ten years or so ago they had the lead out slot after Super Sunday on what was then Sky Sports 1, dedicated UK studio presentation and analysis for most fixtures, it was on in every pub on weekend nights, and El Classico was one of the most talked about club football fixtures outside of the Premier League. Now it seems to barely merit a footnote, no sports fan I know mentions or talks about La Liga or El Classico any more. It probably helps that it no longer has Messi and Ronaldo as star attractions, but still. The pub TVs that once showed Laliga are now showing NFL or golf depending on the time of year.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rdd's post:
  • RhysJR, Scratch_Perry

(21-04-2024, 11:44 PM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  By this time next year, both FA Cup Semi-Finals would have been live on FTA 7 times; 1990-1992 and 2022-2025.

Has the current deal got another year then? Thought it ended with this season. There was the 2009/10 season when Setanta folded and ITV had exclusive rights. I didn't realise the BBC had both semi finals in that first TV deal. And semi final replays too (against a top flight match live on ITV).

Not sure where yesterdays match fits into the no replay argument, if at all. For all the talk of VAR favouring the Premier League Coventry going through with a dramatic last minute goal in extra time would perhaps have been good for the FA'S argument to scrap all replays. Man Utd going through on penalties adds weight to the argument it's easier for PL sides to hold out that extra half hour.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • RhysJR

Contrary to what the PR suggested, Catrin Heledd has turned up at the Crucible for a second year as a deputy presenter.

I presume Seema won't be popping up till later on (much like last year) despite her billing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • RhysJR

(22-04-2024, 12:03 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  Shame the English and Scottish finals will likely clash. Neither kick-off officially confirmed yet, but last year's FA Cup final with the same finalists was moved to 15:00 because of the police, with an Old Firm final definitely not being a later kick-off. The Scottish Cup final might be moved to an early kick-off, but from what I can see, the last Old Firm last Scottish Cup final and the most recent Scottish League Cup finals between them were 15:00 kick-offs.
The Champions Cup rugby final will also be a 14:45 kick-off on the same day - very likely on ITV 4 now.

Will be very intersting how BBC Scotland square that circle, the FA Cup final will have to air on BBC Scotland I guess (and that looks silly on paper).

Or even use BBC Two Scotland for the FA Cup Final...

(22-04-2024, 06:17 PM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  Or even use BBC Two Scotland for the FA Cup Final...

There is no BBC Two Scotland...
[-] The following 3 users Like GMc's post:
  • Brekkie, Happy2001, MLehon

Or they just don't show it on linear with it being on ITV/STV anyway.

It would make sense for BBC Scotland to show the FA Cup final in Scotland and ITV to show the show the FA Cup final on ITV 4 in England, since they’re going to lose the ratings battle anyway. But probably not commercial sense, so the latter won’t happen of course.