The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

The full fixtures list for the Autumn Nations Series rugby has been published. I don't think there are any clashing fixtures anymore, which means a double bill every Sunday and a game every Friday. That means, as previously mentioned, Ireland play on Friday twice, and Wales play on Sundays twice. The 10-past the top/bottom of the hour kick-offs makes me fear that many games will be without presentation.

images.ctfassets.net 
Web Image

The FA Cup final has been 'confirmed' for 3pm, with the Scottish Cup final confirmed as 3pm. I guess the FA Cup final would be on the Red Button channel with 5 Live commentary, so would be available in Scotland if so.

www.dailymail.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • bkman1990

Seen here and Hazel mentioned on Saturday that Neil Robertson was due to join the BBC team today for the World Snooker but it didn't happen, here is why
twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like NI92's post:
  • bkman1990, RhysJR

The FA Cup final will kick-off at 3pm BST on Saturday May 25th and will be live on "BBC One, BBC iPlayer, ITV1, ITVX, UTV and STV" (but not STV Player Big Grin).

www.thefa.com 

It’s a pity that will mean European club rugby’s flagship occasion being relegated to ITV4. The exposure it could have got on ITV1 as the lead in or lead out for the Cup Final would have priceless for the club game, with there still being a chance of an English team being there (although obviously I hope it’s Leinster!) and with live TV coverage of the club game in England largely confined to pay TV for most of the past 30 years. Of course both EPCR and ITV will have known of the risk of this happening and decided to run with it anyway, so maybe theyre not that troubled.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • RhysJR

Reports that FIFA are set to award global rights to the new Club World Cup to Apple TV+. The deal is to be worth $1 billion, quarter of what FIFA were originally hoping for (FIFA asking for too much sounds familiar). Sponsorship money will likely be less than FIFA were expecting as well. There might be a stipulation for some FTA coverage.

A little used service for a competition with little interest seems apt (I'm exaggerating but I doubt this will make it popular in the UK).

www.reuters.com 

I think in the USA it might do ok as Apple have the MLS but over here Apple TV is not associated with Sport.

Seem a perfect match for a tournament I doubt even the clubs will take too seriously.

Oh I think some clubs will take it seriously simply because FIFA is p rumoured to have paid clubs to take part and included strict clauses.

(23-04-2024, 05:26 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  I think in the USA it might do ok as Apple have the MLS but over here Apple TV is not associated with Sport.

Yeah, exactly that. I'm not sure how much interest the MLS had before/has now, but it must be getting less exposure now that it is not hoovering a casual level of sports fans than when it was on Sky and Premier Sports.

In the US, the Club World Cup will clash with the CONCACAF Gold Cup. Whilst they will take place on seperate sides of the country, you would imagine US soccer interest could be more focused on the USMNT than a club competition.

I would imagine some of it will be shown on Free to air, ITV/BBC could get decent ratings, it will either be a tournament that will grow or just be a nothing