The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

(05-05-2024, 04:48 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I'm missing something. Sky are showing more games next season?

They are indeed. New rights deal with Sky showing/streaming 1059 games over the season, 10 games every weekend round from the three divisons and every match from midweek/bank holiday/international break matchdays.

www.efl.com 

Yes - all matches not at 3pm, including 5 Championship matches each weekend, will be shown.

www.skysports.com 

Does the new deal also mean the last regular day of League 2 will be moved from Saturday 3pm?

SPFL Chief Neil Doncaster told BBC Radio Scotland on Saturday that on top of Sky Sports showing 60 Scottish Premiership matches next season (up from 48) there will also be a new package of 20 matches currently up for offer. First round of bids have already been made.

www.bbc.co.uk 

(05-05-2024, 10:06 PM)Division2023 Wrote:  Does the new deal also mean the last regular day of League 2 will be moved from Saturday 3pm?

Possibly but league 2 sometimes ends the week after the lower league seasons have ended.

Unless Sky launch a dedicated EFL channel Scottish Football is even more likely to be squeezed out of the schedules next season. They're better off being a bigger fish in a smaller pool really - think that's why the coverage on BT was considered much better.

Never seen this before on the Champions League coverage on TNT Sports but at points tonight during the pre-match and half time there is a graphic that shows the analysis is sponsored by Turkish Airlines. I don't think I have known a sponsored analysis section on British Football coverage let alone if I'm correct?

That's definitely new, wasn't there last week.

Amazon Prime Video have announced it will stream some games of the UEFA Champions League in the Republic of Ireland from next season.

The online rights deal to the UEFA CL in the ROI amounts to a total of 17 matches on Tuesday nights.

Amazon made this announcement today alongside their announcement of Amazon.ie which will be launched in 2025.

“Prime members in Ireland will also be able to watch UEFA Champions League football on Prime Video starting from next season.”

www.aboutamazon.com 

It's also very likely that TNT Sports will also continue to broadcast the UEFA Champions League on a non-exclusive basis from next season in the Republic of Ireland.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bkman1990's post:
  • RhysJR

Yeah it’s pretty much a throwaway line in an article otherwise about the launch of Amazon.ie (finally!) and it some ways it isn’t really news, the UK rights holders for the Champions League have always had non-exclusive rights in Ireland. (The Europa League was different for a while, when ESPN and Channel 5 had the rights, but that’s a good while ago now, and BT/TNT has no issues). I suppose it was being questioned in the case of Amazon though because they don’t have any other sports rights in Ireland at the moment (since the loss of the tennis, rugby, and NFL they did have) and because they’ve a history of treating Ireland quite differently from the UK (the Prime Video catalogues still aren’t the same, whereas the Netflix, Disney+ and Paramount+ catalogues are either completely or almost identical).
[-] The following 2 users Like Rdd's post:
  • bkman1990, RhysJR