The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

Yes, the graphics in the last few years have been quite hit and miss. The first Amazon package was probably the best.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • RhysJR

(21-01-2023, 12:48 PM)Rdd Wrote:  So as rugby’s greatest championship (TM) approaches again, any guesses as to whether one of sports longest running graphics’s sets (now heading on for ten years in use) will ever get replaced? Mind you if the alternative is what is used for the Women’s/U20s perhaps it’s just as well if not.

I'd have bet a lot on new graphics being introduced in every year since 2018 (when the sponsor and colour palette changed to NatWest). We've had another new sponsor and related change in colour palette, and a new broadcasts rights cycle since and they're still sticking in. They haven't aged that well tbh but do look better than some of the replacements from the Six Nations family.
(As an aside, watching the snooker on ITV over the week I was surprised how well the 2006 era ITV graphics look in 2023. It was the 10th anniversary of ITV returning to snooker this week as well.)

One possible clue is that the Women's Six Nations got a new look logo last year that brought in new graphics; the Under 20s competition in the summer adopted a similar logo and subsuquently similar graphics to the women's (the spring U206N had recoloured version of the men's graphics and a similar looking logo to the men's competition). The men's competition has the same logo as it has since Guinness became sponsor in 2019 so I will predict the old graphics will survive for another year yet.

Maybe next year with a new international/World Cup cycle???

Have to agree that each graphics set produced by the Six Nations has got progressively worse since 2019. The low point hopefully is the U20 Summer Series last year with its really ugly illuminous lime. It's fortunate in a way that the men's competiton adopts the sponsor's colour - black is less creative but cannot be an eyesore like the below.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Rdd

Another point on rugby graphics...
I had mild amusment earlier seeing that BT Sport still receive French langauge graphics on Champions Cup matches in France. Of course this is only minor differences like 3E rather than 3T on the try indicator (and French TV use a gold background for the sin bin clock rather than a yellow background), but not often that a default graphic package is not English these days.
On a similar note it was a bit of surprise that when S4C covered a match in France in December they appeared to have a clean feed with their own graphics in Welsh throughout the game, something I can't ever remembering seeing on the English language feed in any iteration of the competition. It also looked they had a clean feed on Friday night from Leicester.

Returning to the above on the introduction of new graphics, I can't help but remember that the Champions Cup had the most unorganised of refreshes in 2018, when they introduced the new graphics in round 3 of the pool stage, a month after the competition began with a updated logo and new broadcast rights cycle...
Peak rugby governing body behaviour.

Yeah, and the Challenge Cup didn’t get the new graphics until it’s own rebrand a season or two later, still using the 2014 graphics for a bit after the Heineken Champions Cup had changed. My recollection is that TG4 gets clean feeds of URC games (or puts out two versions when it is host broadcaster, one in Irish for itself and a world feed in English) but the advent of Premier Sports having rights has mostly eliminated any need for me to watch games on TG4 any more.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • RhysJR

(22-01-2023, 05:37 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  Another point on rugby graphics...
I had mild amusment earlier seeing that BT Sport still receive French langauge graphics on Champions Cup matches in France. Of course this is only minor differences like 3E rather than 3T on the try indicator (and French TV use a gold background for the sin bin clock rather than a yellow background), but not often that a default graphic package is not English these days.
On a similar note it was a bit of surprise that when S4C covered a match in France in December they appeared to have a clean feed with their own graphics in Welsh throughout the game, something I can't ever remembering seeing on the English language feed in any iteration of the competition. It also looked they had a clean feed on Friday night from Leicester.
It's probably more likely that they asked for (and paid for) the host broadcaster to generate a second feed from the match truck - I don't think it's that the French broadcasters can't generate a world feed with English-language graphics, it's just that they don't. Perhaps it's down to an imprecisely worded host broadcaster contract?

When S4C are host, they do provide English-language graphics.

(Meanwhile, for today's match from Montpellier, it seems the host forgot to provide any graphics on the world feed!)
[-] The following 1 user Likes thegeek's post:
  • RhysJR

On last night's Match of the Day 2 it was said that Accrington/Boreham Wood v. Leeds United will be on BBC One at 12:30 on Saturday. This match is in addition to the previously confirmed matches that will be shown.

The BBC website is also suggesting that Walsall v. Leicester will be shown on the BBC Red Button/iPlayer at the same time.

www.bbc.co.uk 

www.bbc.co.uk 

Quite bizarre that BBC Sport Scotland are struggling to adopt the new BBC Sport graphics and branding. Whilst the Sportscene highlights have had the new graphics all season, the live coverage, for some reason, still uses the old graphics. This meant on Saturday, the Celtic v. Morton match used both version of the graphics during the day when it was shown live and then featured in the highlights show.

To add to the confused mismash, the studio coverage of the live coverage, including the microphones, are using the BBC Reith logo.

[Image: TVLF%20207.jpg]
[Image: TVLF%20208.jpg]
[Image: TVLF%20209.jpg]

(23-01-2023, 10:23 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Quite bizarre that BBC Sport Scotland are struggling to adopt the new BBC Sport graphics and branding. Whilst the Sportscene highlights have had the new graphics all season, the live coverage, for some reason, still uses the old graphics. This meant on Saturday, the Celtic v. Morton match used both version of the graphics during the day when it was shown live and then featured in the highlights show.

To add to the confused mismash, the studio coverage of the live coverage, including the microphones, are using the BBC Reith logo.

[Image: TVLF%20207.jpg]
[Image: TVLF%20208.jpg]
[Image: TVLF%20209.jpg]

BBC NI have been using the new graphics for any TV coverage such as for their live Irish Premiership matches on BBC Two NI and for their highlights also on BBC Two but have been using the old set for their iplayer broadcasts as they cover a match every week but most are online with only 10-15 on TV.
[-] The following 2 users Like NI92's post:
  • bkman1990, RhysJR

All F1 drivers will be fitted with helmet cams for this year. Previously only one at a time has been used intermittently over the last 18 months.

www.gpfans.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • bkman1990, Newsroom

The Telegraph this morning reports that the BBC has dropped/not renewed its highlights rights of the Masters golf. The article also reports that ITV have likely ruled out bidding for highlights. And personally I'd doubt anyone else would want to, depite the prestige of the event in the sporting landscape, mainly because any broadcast will have to be shown after midnight.

It will be sad to see, but another milestone on the erasure of golf from FTA TV and the public psyche at large. By my reckoning, and if all other contracts remain the same as last year, only 12 days of regular tournament golf will receive highlights (and all but The Open likely to be only an hour long after Newsnight or later) on FTA TV this year, with no live coverage at all*. The article states that in 2005 the BBC showed 28 days of live golf across the year - quite a rapid decline. Of course there is also the Ryder Cup and Solheim Cup in the autumn which are both in Europe and should have primetime highlights.

*Sky does offer a lot of mainly women's golf for free on YouTube with the selected holes or featured groups coverage of The Open last year availble for free on The Open's website.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Happy2001