The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

Don't know if it's been mentioned on here, but the next test match cricket series in India, when they host Australia, is on BT Sport not Sky. In the past, for a couple of England tours there, Sky and the BCCI haven't been good bedfellows, with Sky doing commentary off tube in London, and channel 4 showing the more recent test series. I wonder if this is just a one off for this series, or a longer term deal between BT and the BCCI.

(08-02-2023, 09:12 AM)robertclark125 Wrote:  Don't know if it's been mentioned on here, but the next test match cricket series in India, when they host Australia, is on BT Sport not Sky. In the past, for a couple of England tours there, Sky and the BCCI haven't been good bedfellows, with Sky doing commentary off tube in London, and channel 4 showing the more recent test series. I wonder if this is just a one off for this series, or a longer term deal between BT and the BCCI.

Not 100% sure but I believe it's just for the Aussie tour of India and the deal would've been with Disney/Star.

Article on ITV's coverage if the Six Nations. I'm not 100% sure I'm interpratating it correctly, but I've git the impression that all matches in Dublin, Paris and Rome will be done from the virtual studio.

Quote:In addition, ITV Sport is also covering the away games, with rights for coverage from Paris, Italy, and Ireland. For each overseas location the broadcaster is using small remote units, which will then be relayed back to the hub gallery in Ealing, London, where the tournament will be broadcast from a brand new virtual reality (VR) studio hosted by Timeline TV and Moov.

www.svgeurope.org 

The controversial European Super League project is back on float. The competition would feature 80 teams from across Europe. What implications for TV rights is still unknown.

www.skysports.com 

It’s not going to happen. It’s a last ditch attempt by the three clubs that never let go of the concept (Barcelona, Real Madrid, and Juventus) to try and get it started again but no one else from football is coming out to back them. Even the three clubs themselves are hiding behind this A22 banner.
[-] The following 4 users Like Rdd's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, Medianext.MX, thomash79

Andy Nicol will no longer be with the BBC TV team covering the Six Nations after the weekend.

Although it is sad to see Andy go, it is good to see the BBC are evolving their rugby coverage to not be stuck in the past - that's Brian Moore, Andy Nicol, Keith Wood (and probably Jeremy Guscott - nothing confirmed but not on in either of the opening rounds in 2023) all gone from the punditry line-up in recent years. And John Inverdale and (sadly) Eddie Buttler have also being succeeded as lead presenter and commentator, albeit neither of those were of the BBC's choosing.

twitter.com 

Staying with BBC rugby.

Rugby Special was somehow still using the old BBC Sport graphics and logo during the highlights, despite the new logo used alongside the world feed graphics on the live coverage and the new graphics used elsewhere on the programme.

[Image: TVLF%20210.jpg]

[Image: TVLF%20211.jpg]

(09-02-2023, 08:26 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Andy Nicol will no longer be with the BBC TV team covering the Six Nations after the weekend.

Although it is sad to see Andy go, it is good to see the BBC are evolving their rugby coverage to not be stuck in the past - that's Brian Moore, Andy Nicol, Keith Wood (and probably Jeremy Guscott - nothing confirmed but not on in either of the opening rounds in 2023) all gone from the punditry line-up in recent years.

Probably the right call, though Andy Nicol the best of those four.    ITV still relying so heavily on the class of 2003 is beginning to feel quite old school too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Scratch_Perry

(09-02-2023, 08:38 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(09-02-2023, 08:26 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Andy Nicol will no longer be with the BBC TV team covering the Six Nations after the weekend.

Although it is sad to see Andy go, it is good to see the BBC are evolving their rugby coverage to not be stuck in the past - that's Brian Moore, Andy Nicol, Keith Wood (and probably Jeremy Guscott - nothing confirmed but not on in either of the opening rounds in 2023) all gone from the punditry line-up in recent years.

Probably the right call, though Andy Nicol the best of those four.    ITV still relying so heavily on the class of 2003 is beginning to feel quite old school too.

Guscott wasn't on last year either and Martin Johnson seems to be his replacement who can be the neutral pundit at Scotland and Wales.  Sam Warburton is probably the best pundit of any channel, John Barclay is developing well and I think Jonathan Davies has to be the next to go. To be honest it is a shame the BBC only get one match per round now as they have a really good team at the minute in my opinion.

(09-02-2023, 10:14 PM)NI92 Wrote:  
(09-02-2023, 08:38 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Probably the right call, though Andy Nicol the best of those four.    ITV still relying so heavily on the class of 2003 is beginning to feel quite old school too.

Guscott wasn't on last year either and Martin Johnson seems to be his replacement who can be the neutral pundit at Scotland and Wales.  Sam Warburton is probably the best pundit of any channel, John Barclay is developing well and I think Jonathan Davies has to be the next to go. To be honest it is a shame the BBC only get one match per round now as they have a really good team at the minute in my opinion.
Guscott got punted prior to last year's tournament, following the change in broadcasting rights for the tournament.

Speaking of which, it's a shame that the BBC are "happy" with the one match per round.  And to consider as recently as 2015, they had the full 15 games works.

(08-02-2023, 09:12 AM)robertclark125 Wrote:  Don't know if it's been mentioned on here, but the next test match cricket series in India, when they host Australia, is on BT Sport not Sky. In the past, for a couple of England tours there, Sky and the BCCI haven't been good bedfellows, with Sky doing commentary off tube in London, and channel 4 showing the more recent test series. I wonder if this is just a one off for this series, or a longer term deal between BT and the BCCI.

By my count the fourth or fifth different broadcaster that has shown India matches in recent years - Sky Sports for the last two years; Channel 4 v. England in 2021; ESPN Player for the matches against Sri Lanka and NZ at the start of this year; and possibly one of the Indian channels on the Sky EPG at some point too. There's been no mention of any other India rights bar the test and ODI series v. Australia on any article so it looks like a one-off deal. I think Disney Hottar, as the global rights holder, has been blamed for asking too much as the reason why India rights move around and are secured at the last minute.

www.eurosport.co.uk 

On to coverage itself, and BT Sport is taking the straight world feed broadcast without any of their own presentation and then random cricket highlights during the intervals (before this winter on Australia tests they used an out-of-vision presenter who voiced over graphics and linked to highlights of the day's action during intervals but that has gone the same way as what was shown yesterday). In BT's defence, they will also be showing NZ v. England from next week so resources should be more heavily thrown behind that really.

The BCCI world feed has new graphics this year. The old ones weren't the greatest ever but I find these new ones quite a downgrade to be honest.

www.youtube.com